Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

keane2097 wrote: »
    I still can't get irish news on mine :-/

Is there even an Irish news service available for it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there even an Irish news service available for it at all?

I have RTE news on mine

460639.jpg

Cheers. I haven't checked that in ages and I don't use the routines at all. Has it worked for anyone and is there a way to listen to it without using that good morning routine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Cheers. I haven't checked that in ages and I don't use the routines at all. Has it worked for anyone and is there a way to listen to it without using that good morning routine?

I'm not sure. When I ask it what's in the news it plays BBC news

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

Bouquet Dougal works. I say it for a chuckle sometimes. Must get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

If you ask it to create a shopping list where is that list stored ?

In the Google Home app. Just ask assistant on your phone to show it to you.

It's a pity they ever removed it from Keep though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    If you ask it to create a shopping list where is that list stored ?

shoppinglist.google.com

Actually works like an app on your phone. Left and right swipe and is easy to share list's etc

shoppinglist.google.com

Actually works like an app on your phone. Left and right swipe and is easy to share list's etc

Pity they wouldn't release an app that you could have easy access to on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Pity they wouldn't release an app that you could have easy access to on the phone.

Go to shoppinglist.google.com and save the page as a link on your home screen. Not as good as a native one but it does give easy access

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    Go to shoppinglist.google.com and save the page as a link on your home screen. Not as good as a native one but it does give easy access

The icon always looks terrible if you do that.

Since we can type into assistant it's five now anyway. I just don't like speaking at the phone in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Newstalk news is the same for me, always out of date, switched to RTE today instead!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Since we can type into assistant it's five now anyway. I just don't like speaking at the phone in public.
    Just open the Google Home app, tap the hamburger icon and select Shopping List.

I like the recently updated interface for it, with photos of many of the items. Looks snazzier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

You can assign it whatever icon you want, if you use Nova as your launcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

What is the point in naming timers if the GH doesn't announce which timer is going off? I was cooking today and set multiple timers but had no idea which timer was going off. Am I doing something wrong?

fletch wrote: »
    What is the point in naming timers if the GH doesn't announce which timer is going off? I was cooking today and set multiple timers but had no idea which timer was going off. Am I doing something wrong?

It's so stupid that you can't see timers across all devices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Anyone else having issues with GH? I have a routine setup "Goodbye" which knocks off all house lights and TV using Harmony Elite. Problem is, when I say this the GH lights just rota, then after about 30secs it turns off everything

THis also happens when asking to turn off hue lights.

Comms issue with hue and GH maybe?

I haven't rebooted any of the GH's yet

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

fletch wrote: »

You can just ask it which timer it is when it goes off ("hey google, which timer is that?"). If you don't name it, then it'll tell you the duration i.e. "that's your 10 minute timer".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

RonnieL wrote: »
    You can just ask it which timer it is when it goes off ("hey google, which timer is that?"). If you don't name it, then it'll tell you the duration i.e. "that's your 10 minute timer".
    Thanks ..didn't know that.

Pain in the hole with the Homes lately. Every time I go into the app one of the 3 will be 'ready to set up' and I've to connect it as new again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pain in the hole with the Homes lately. Every time I go into the app one of the 3 will be 'ready to set up' and I've to connect it as new again.

That happened me the other day with one of mine as well. It actually sorted itself out later without me doing anything though.

I was hoping it might be a sign of them rolling out some update but that's wishful thinking.

A bit of an 'aha' moment for me just now. It's been driving me mad for ages that when I go to add News sources that 'English (Ireland)' doesn't appear and so I can't have my good morning routine give me the RTE headlines.

This was on an iPhone. I signed into my account on an Android device and was instantly able to set it up. The settings/news source choices persist when I check back on the iPhone.

Finally have my news sources which is great but the inconsistency across the devices for such a trivial setting is very annoying.

In case anyone happens to run into an issue where newly added devices (say new hue bulbs etc) are not noticed by GH, apparently saying 'hey google, sync my devices' should get you out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

This hasn't worked for me for ages. When I say it Google just hangs and does nothing. I had to remove hue and add it again for it to recognise the new bulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

jones wrote: »
    This hasn't worked for me for ages. When I say it Google just hangs and does nothing. I had to remove hue and add it again for it to recognise the new bulbs.

One of my lightstrips hasn't appeared in google. It is in Hue.

I was going to unlink my Hue account from Google, but does that mean I need to rename and group all the bulbs within Google again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

jones wrote: »

Same, just get the 'I can't help with that right now' or some such. Have unlinked Hue and deactivated Google from within the meethue account and still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah that's the only work around I know to get it to recognise the new lights.. bit of a pain though. In saying that Google still controls all the lights even though it looks like they aren't there according to home

And no you shouldn't have to redo the groups I didn't anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi - wondering the best way to manage Spotify for Family subscription. I'm in work, want to listen to Spotify on my laptop. Wife at home wants to listen on GHome. One stops the other because, I think, both Spotifies are accessing using my account. Is there a way to stop this happening? I see a Private Session option on Spotify on my laptop. Is that what I need to do? Is there any way to ask GHome to play under a specific account on the Family package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hi - wondering the best way to manage Spotify for Family subscription. I'm in work, want to listen to Spotify on my laptop. Wife at home wants to listen on GHome. One stops the other because, I think, both Spotifies are accessing using my account. Is there a way to stop this happening? I see a Private Session option on Spotify on my laptop. Is that what I need to do? Is there any way to ask GHome to play under a specific account on the Family package?

You each need to have a spotify account and then link them to the home using voice match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks, sorry, just found that. Think each of the family needs google home too, link spoity that way, then link on ghome with voice match

Advertisement