Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

matrim wrote: »
    You each need to have a spotify account and then link them to the home using voice match

On a phone, it is possible to switch to "Off Line" mode and then this frees up Spotify on your GH/other devices.

Your phone is limited to downloaded music only in this mode, but you can go online - download you playlist/albums and go back offline to listen to them.

Not sure if the same can be done on a laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Thanks, sorry, just found that. Think each of the family needs google home too, link spoity that way, then link on ghome with voice match
    In a nutshell, that's exactly it.

Each member of the family will need a Google account and a Spotify account.
    You just need to set up Voice Match for all the users and add them to the one Home.
    You'll also need to link each Spotify account to the Google account
    You can do this on a single phone if it's all that's there.
    We did it for 6 of us on a Nexus 7 tablet.

Create a new user from settings on phone and switch to it.

Install Google Home app and Spotify and configure the voice settings for Google Assistant.
    Go through the voice match recording until it's happy.
    Open Spotify on the phone and log in as the current user.

Open the Google Home app as that user and search for the Google Home under devices.
    You'll get the chance to link it to your account when you open settings and see the list of accounts already linked.
    The voice recording made on the phone will match for the Home devices too.
    Open the Music Services section of the settings where you can choose Spotify as a service and link the Spotify account to the Google account.

Add a user account on the phone in this way as each family member until all are linked on the Home devices.

Log back into the phone as the original owner and check the settings on the Home.
    If everyone uses Spotify, you can leave default music service as Spotify,
    but if one of you uses something different you might have to choose
    "No default music service" so it can use per account settings.

At this stage, you should each be able to ask "Who am I?" and get your name back from the device.
    This should be enough to make sure you keep your Spotify separate too.

It works well here mostly, but two of my daughters often get mixed up by Google.
    They are twins though, so your mileage may be better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Is it just me or is RTE Radio 1 gone again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Gone for me too. Also recently it's gone back to calling it Tay Radio 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

matrim wrote: »
    Go to shoppinglist.google.com and save the page as a link on your home screen. Not as good as a native one but it does give easy access

It's of no use unless you want to use your phone though. When shopping list was part of Keep, I could open it on my watch and check off items as I walked around the shop. I still use a Keep list for that reason, but now it means that I can't use assistant to add items to it on the fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's of no use unless you want to use your phone though. When shopping list was part of Keep, I could open it on my watch and check off items as I walked around the shop. I still use a Keep list for that reason, but now it means that I can't use assistant to add items to it on the fly.

Could you use IFTTT to sync to keep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya porting over fully to the google environment at the minute, google keep has some nice features, it's not as powerful as apple notes but decent. What's driving me mad is that https://mail.google.com/tasks/canvas https://shoppinglist.google.com and http://keep.google.com/ all don't sync. Crazy stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

As expected, Google are bringing out their own 'Home with a screen'.

https://m.androidcentral.com/google-home-hub-thatll-launch-pixel-3-october

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

fletch wrote: »
    What is the point in naming timers if the GH doesn't announce which timer is going off? I was cooking today and set multiple timers but had no idea which timer was going off. Am I doing something wrong?
    RonnieL wrote: »
    You can just ask it which timer it is when it goes off ("hey google, which timer is that?"). If you don't name it, then it'll tell you the duration i.e. "that's your 10 minute timer".

I'm a few months behind on the thread (will sort that soon), so I'm probably repeating the above. In the past I've done 'Hey Google, set a timer called chicken for 15 minutes', etc. and 'Hey Google, how long's left on the chicken timer?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

digitaldr wrote: »
    Gone for me too. Also recently it's gone back to calling it Tay Radio 1

Sadly yes Tay Radio 1 been gone a few days. Luckily I didn't throw out my low tech 20 year old radio :)

I've reported it via the GH feedback a few times so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

opus wrote: »
    Sadly yes Tay Radio 1 been gone a few days. Luckily I didn't throw out my low tech 20 year old radio :)

Tay radio 1 gone also - ugh I don't even have the energy to rant about it anymore

opus wrote: »

I had just persuaded the other half to move our radio out to the garage :o

I’ve also reported the issue via Google Home feedback & on the Google Home forum. I really thought that it had been sorted properly last time, because it’s worked flawlessly for months. It’s so frustrating.

Fishy1 wrote: »
    I had just persuaded the other half to move our radio out to the garage :o

I’ve also reported the issue via Google Home feedback & on the Google Home forum. I really thought that it had been sorted properly last time, because it’s worked flawlessly for months. It’s so frustrating.

There’s a thread on Google Support about this. Maybe if people feel like it, they could add their tuppence worth to it.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/forum/AAAAXWcshA0xR1tk25k-Ck/?hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    A bit of random feedback for people trying to decide between Google/Amazon:

I find my Google Home minis to be much, much worse than Echo dot for picking up on when I am trying to ask them something. If I say 'Alexa' the echo dot invariably notices, if I say 'hey, Google' it's much more common for it to not notice.

The mini is practically unusable when it is already playing something as you have to nearly roar at it. The echo dot notices that you are trying to talk to it pretty much perfectly even when it is playing music etc in my experience.

Had the Home mini and Echo dot out side by side last night and the Home Mini is definitely much worse at detecting when it's being spoken to.

On the other hand, having not used the dot for a few weeks I hadn't realised the difference in the quality of the speakers. When you listen to them side by side the Mini is massively superior. I would find it almost impossible to switch back to listening to music on the dot now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Probably asked a million times but where is the best place to buy the mini? Got one for €44 a few weeks ago but seem to be €59 in most places now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

On the lookout for another one myself also...44 would be a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is there a way to force shopping lists to be created in Google Keep using the Google Home? If not is there a way to make a widget on my phone (Oneplus 5T) out of the list that it does create?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is there a way to force shopping lists to be created in Google Keep using the Google Home? If not is there a way to make a widget on my phone (Oneplus 5T) out of the list that it does create?

Can you not add it via Chrome? Go to shoppinglist.google.com and then press the 3-dot menu and add to home screen.

_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Can you not add it via Chrome? Go to shoppinglist.google.com and then press the 3-dot menu and add to home screen.

_

Yeah done that for now but wanted something like a keep widget that you can view the list from the homescreen.

So I've been emailing and sending feedback for the last two weeks , submitting version numbers multiples emails blah blah all about RTE 1 not playing and today I got this (it's the first official admission from Google as to why RTE can't direct stream that I can recall seeing ):

Hello Jog

I hope this email finds you well.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts about streaming RTE Radio 1 directly from RTE radio. Currently, we can't stream directly from RTE Radio since they're not officially a partner of Google Home yet.

What you're experiencing right now may be a bug and our joined efforts with our program and engineering team is working on a stable solution to fix this. Apparently we can't guarantee if this solution will work for you since Google Home is not supported in Southern Ireland yet.

Our route now is to wait for any updates from the engineering team. This may sound like a broken record for you, but we truly appreciate your patience on this matter.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

May

Honestly im bit pis*ed off now, they don't exactly go out of their way to state any of that before taking your cash. Perhaps other people could help me to continue to bug them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

jogdish wrote: »
    So I've been emailing and sending feedback for the last two weeks , submitting version numbers multiples emails blah blah all about RTE 1 not playing and today I got this (it's the first official admission from Google as to why RTE can't direct stream that I can recall seeing ):

Hello Jog

I hope this email finds you well.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts about streaming RTE Radio 1 directly from RTE radio. Currently, we can't stream directly from RTE Radio since they're not officially a partner of Google Home yet.

What you're experiencing right now may be a bug and our joined efforts with our program and engineering team is working on a stable solution to fix this. Apparently we can't guarantee if this solution will work for you since Google Home is not supported in Southern Ireland yet.

Our route now is to wait for any updates from the engineering team. This may sound like a broken record for you, but we truly appreciate your patience on this matter.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

May

Honestly im bit pis*ed off now, they don't exactly go out of their way to state any of that before taking your cash. Perhaps other people could help me to continue to bug them.

I would go back to them and state that it is sold by google in Ireland, so it is officially supported, they released it here a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

And tell them there's no such place as Southern Ireland, ****ing gimps.

keane2097 wrote: »
    And tell them there's no such place as Southern Ireland, ****ing gimps.
    you think thats bad, my last live chat I was asked where I was i typed "ROI" and the response was , is that in Southern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sorry if it's been asked previously but would anyone know why "find my phone" has completely stopped working? She's spouts out "i don't understand". I have tried everything to get it working again but I must be missing something terribly simple. It works fine via Chrome on my desktop, locates the phone straight away.

jogdish wrote: »

I’ve also been sending feedback via both Google Home & Google Mini.

I even started a thread about it in the Google Home Help Forum. After a couple of days I posted again in the same thread asking for an update to the situation. As soon as I received the generic “Google is looking into it” reply, I was locked out of the thread & can’t post anything new to it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a way to tell Hue stuff to go off at a certain time, verbally? 'Hey Google, turn front lamp off at 11pm', just leads to 'sorry...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Is there a way to tell Hue stuff to go off at a certain time, verbally? 'Hey Google, turn front lamp off at 11pm', just leads to 'sorry...'

I don't think you can do it natively through the home, but should be able to do it via IFTTT I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use stringify for that. I have lights that I want to turn off after a time period on my night time routine

Thanks. :) I have IFFFT, hardly use it. Same with Stringify, downloaded, but not looked into it properly. I use Routines in the Home to knock off the Hue Go at night.

Good Morning is handy.

A while ago I ask her how long to walk to New York. She quoted back some website and called the idea insane. Try it. :pac:

• Advertisement

RTE Radio1 is back again.

I wonder how long it will last this time? :rolleyes:

Advertisement