Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

jogdish wrote:
    Not working for me, im on UK english if that makes a difference.

Needs to be US English for cc I think. Mine just started working the other day so it's rolling out.

Ps new home app is great massive improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Continued conversation working on my set up now. All units (3 minis and one regular Google home) are set to US English.
    However I had to factory reset one mini as it wasn't picking up the fact that my Google account was the main account. The app was telling me to ask the person who owns the primary account to enable the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They really need to let you see how long is left on a timer
    (and silence it when it's ringing) by going to the device in the home app. Long long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Has anyone picked up a Google Home Max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The Harmony Remote now works natively in Google Assistant, no more ask Harmony. You'll need to unlink and link again to get the new integration

https://support.myharmony.com/en-gb/harmony-experience-with-google-assistant

It still only supports one which is a huge drawback, I have 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

The Harmony Remote now works natively in Google Assistant, no more ask Harmony. You'll need to unlink and link again to get the new integration

I have the Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo receiver after reading good things about it from yourself amongst others. With the harmony can you tell google home to start channels on that box? i.e. can you now say "hey google go to rte one on the tv"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Anybody any idea how to set the on-volume of a radio alarm? It seems to default to 36% even though I change the volume to really low on this screen
    Screenshot-20181016-152400-Home.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Also lately, my Home and Mini don't seem to be responding to the "Be quiet" command...anybody else having this problem?

I have the Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo receiver after reading good things about it from yourself amongst others. With the harmony can you tell google home to start channels on that box? i.e. can you now say "hey google go to rte one on the tv"?

Yes and any that it doesn't understand you can create shortcuts in Google Assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Google homes have gotten very tempermental for me in the past week, with selectively hearing. Have to call it a few times before it responds.
    When I ask google to sync devices, it will resync with Nest, Kasa, but tells me that the account owner will need to resync Philips Hue. How do I do this, or do I have to manually unlink and relink ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭KingCong

Google homes have gotten very tempermental for me in the past week, with selectively hearing. Have to call it a few times before it responds.

I'm experiencing the same thing the last few weeks, very frustrating. It used to be much better at picking up "Hey Google".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It sounds silly, but try dusting them. Dust can get into the mic ports and cause issues.

Anyone have the JBL Link 10/20/300 with google assistant?

My JBL link 10 updated the other day but it still doesnt seem to have continous conversation is this only enable in google products? The cast version is up to date.

I also want a way to turn off the wifi status light at night i have been using it in the bedroom and its a pain at nighttime with a "light sensitive" other half.

When I ask google to sync devices, it will resync with Nest, Kasa, but tells me that the account owner will need to resync Philips Hue. How do I do this, or do I have to manually unlink and relink ?

Does sync devices actually work again? Mine was just hanging for months i was adding Hue lights bit by bit and they would never sync. I had to remove hue as linked service and add it again for GH to recognise the new lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

jones wrote: »
    Does sync devices actually work again? Mine was just hanging for months i was adding Hue lights bit by bit and they would never sync. I had to remove hue as linked service and add it again for GH to recognise the new lights.

What Language is your home set to?

What Language is your home set to?

English US - always has been for features. Sync devices used to work but stopped a few months ago.

I havent tried it in ages to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

jones wrote: »
    English US - always has been for features. Sync devices used to work but stopped a few months ago.

I havent tried it in ages to be fair

I had issues with sync when i set my language to english(irish) as well as other features (find my phone and more i cant think of now) so was just wondering if it was something similar. Obviously not if its set to US

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I have this set up, but it only turns on/ off the tv. When i ask to change a channel it keeps telling me my harmony account is not linked which it is?

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I have this set up, but it only turns on/ off the tv. When i ask to change a channel it keeps telling me my harmony account is not linked which it is?

Yeah I'm getting the same today, there was more functionality yesterday, was working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Just got, a yee smart LED light, Is there any cool commands to make the buld flash or do weird stuff via Google Home.
    Or am I limited to saying, change the colour to a colour - what colour names does it understand?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Yeelight-Blue-II-LED-Smart-Bulb-Color-E27-9W-600-Lumens-Mi-Light-Xiaomi/32671682019.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.17054c4ducfGpb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Since the app was updated Tunein seems to be working much better.

Also when playing Tunein or Spotify, when I ask for something it just plays. No more “playin x on Spotify” or “playing radio x on tunein” from google. Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

adox wrote: »
    Since the app was updated Tunein seems to be working much better.

Also when playing Tunein or Spotify, when I ask for something it just plays. No more “playin x on Spotify” or “playing radio x on tunein” from google. Anyone else have this?

No difference here, still ' playing tay radio one from tunein' for rte radio 1. Im set to UK english btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

I have a Google Home and three minis.
    From what I can gather, the Alexa has the option to broadcast to a specific device.

Anyone know if this is on the way? Would love to be able to broadcast to the husband to put the kettle on, without waking someone up!

My Television command is all messed up for some reason. I'm using a Sonoff on the socket and always just had the "turn on television" and "turn off television" work flawlessly. Nothing has changed but now Assistant is telling me it doesn't know which television I mean.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »
    My Television command is all messed up for some reason. I'm using a Sonoff on the socket and always just had the "turn on television" and "turn off television" work flawlessly. Nothing has changed but now Assistant is telling me it doesn't know which television I mean.

You might need to rename the sonoff plugs to something else. Maybe rename it "bob" or something like that. It could be that they are now using the word "Television" for Chromecasts or Logitech Harmony devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm planning to add some led strip lighting under my kitchen island but didn't fancy paying extortionate Hue prices so I picked up a Hue compatible controller. Only interested in a warm white strip so went with the most basic version - they do a RGB CCT version for the same price. Just needed to add a led strip and a power supply (already had an old one). It was found instantly by the Hue app and works very well apart from the dimming not being as smooth as the original strip which is no biggie for me.

344ummv.jpg

Now I just need to source a good warm white strip - the cheapie one I got of Amazon is supposed to be 2700k but looks more like 3000k - any suggestions as to where I could get a true 2700k or warmer appreciated.

bk wrote: »
    You might need to rename the sonoff plugs to something else. Maybe rename it "bob" or something like that. It could be that they are now using the word "Television" for Chromecasts or Logitech Harmony devices.

Yeah I seen they added direct support for Harmony and was only thinking after that it may be something to do with that. I'd tried to set up the Harmony last night and, while everything connected ok, nothing worked as advertised. It just hangs if I ask for a channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

digitaldr wrote: »
    I'm planning to add some led strip lighting under my kitchen island but didn't fancy paying extortionate Hue prices so I picked up a Hue compatible controller. Only interested in a warm white strip so went with the most basic version - they do a RGB CCT version for the same price. Just needed to add a led strip and a power supply (already had an old one). It was found instantly by the Hue app and works very well apart from the dimming not being as smooth as the original strip which is no biggie for me.

344ummv.jpg

Now I just need to source a good warm white strip - the cheapie one I got of Amazon is supposed to be 2700k but looks more like 3000k - any suggestions as to where I could get a true 2700k or warmer appreciated.

How much and where did you get these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I got it on Amazon as needed it in a hurry - just search for Hue compatible controllers. I bought from Alex & Smart Home products but there's a few other sellers too but some are China based so shipping would probably be long.

Would have been cheaper to buy from the manufacturers store Gledopto on Aliexpress if I hadn't needed it ASAP - they also to hue compatible bulbs.

Forgot to mention that it retains brightness settings after mains is turned off which is more than the original Hue strip does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Advertisement