Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Fishy1 wrote: »
    With my Google Mini, I say “Wake me at 7am with Rte Radio 1”. It works fine.

I’ve even moved it on a step further by saying “Wake me every weekday at 7am with Rte Radio 1” :)
    Can u set the "on volume" to 10%? Mine seems to default to a minimum of around 30% which is too loud as my Gmini is on my head board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Have two mini's at the moment (one in living room, one in bedroom) but thinking of adding at least one home hub into the mix. It looks terrific.

Also thinking of replacing our baby monitor (Motorola with terrible video and two-way audio quality) with a camera that can be viewed on the Home Hub. I know the Nest Camera will do this (and by all accounts will do it very well) but it is pricey as hell. Is there anything cheaper that will do a job that integrates well with the home hub? Would like to be able to view a continuous feed on the screen and to have 2 way audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Interested in this also on the hub. I have 3 IP cameras with 2 way audio. Anything out there for the home app that supports generic IP cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is anyone's Logitech Harmony integration working since they retired the old version? Mine is completely broken since the upgrade. I used to be able to tell harmony change to channel 2 but not anymore. Seems like a huge step backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Is anyone's Logitech Harmony integration working since they retired the old version? Mine is completely broken since the upgrade. I used to be able to tell harmony change to channel 2 but not anymore. Seems like a huge step backwards

Mine stopped working completely, i have just gotten used to the idea of not using it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Anyone here have the Google Home Max?

It's available on the UK site, so someone must had it delivered via parcelmotel/wizard at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Play RTÉ radio 1 - now responds with do you want to play that on tv? And again do you still want to play that on tv?

Why does it suddenly think I want to play a radio station on my Chromecast ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Frunchy wrote: »
    Anyone here have the Google Home Max?

It's available on the UK site, so someone must had it delivered via parcelmotel/wizard at this point.

I have one, pcworld/curry's have had them for a while also.

Google home on steroids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Heading to Mexico on Wednesday and picking up a Google Home Hub for 100usd for Black Friday, anyone using these at the min, going to place into the kitchen and move my GHome to the bedroom, will get a mini for the front room and kids bedroom and have a decent setup.

Incidentally I opened the harmony Android app today to edit an activity and there was an update waiting to be pushed to my hub. When updated it slightly improved things. Well at least watch the Shield activity and change to channel 2 works from my Google Home, I've not tested much else, time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Going to get a mini for my great uncle (The man's 86, but fantastic with technology), after I seen his cumbersome laptop/tablet/Bluetooth speaker set up.

Where's the best value to pick one up atm in a bricks and mortar here, or should I hang on for black Friday?

Just in case anyone is interested, Harvey Norman selling these at €39.

Argos (up north) are selling them at £29.

I was going to grab one last week at 59e but glad I held off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Just in case anyone is interested, Harvey Norman selling these at €39.

Argos (up north) are selling them at £29.

I was going to grab one last week at 59e but glad I held off now.

I picked a Google Mini up in our local Curry’s PC World at the weekend for €35.

They’re still showing up at that price on their website, so if you’re near one of their stores it might be worth taking a look.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-starter-kits/google-home-mini-chalk-10171098-pdt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can you check timers on the home app or additional home minis?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Can you check timers on the home app or additional home minis?

Not that I've found anyway. Can only check on the device you set it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

BrookieD wrote: »
    Heading to Mexico on Wednesday and picking up a Google Home Hub for 100usd for Black Friday, anyone using these at the min, going to place into the kitchen and move my GHome to the bedroom, will get a mini for the front room and kids bedroom and have a decent setup.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has brought one back from the US and is using it here, and what they think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Just wondering how people go about setting up the significant other as a second user.

Having a few issues which are ongoing, previously posted, and I am wondering if it is the adding of a second user could be the source of my problems. I don't think so as they had been set up and had been working fine until my latest issues but I am trying to narrow the problem down.

In addition to this query, what is the best way to set up a second user to the various other devices, eg. Philips Hue, Hive, Harmony & TP-Link etc.

Up to this I have been downloading the various apps to there phone and just logging in with my credentials, maybe I am better setting them up with there own usernames and passwords but I am not sure that all the various devices allow for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You can now add chromecast devices to speaker groups in the home app. Been waiting ages for this. The sound bar and the home create a savage sound stage in our little living room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Does anyone know of smart plugs on sale that work with Google Home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Ive used sonoff - bought via aliexpress, work fine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most do. A few different ones were on sale on Amazon today. Probably come up again. They are usually listed as supporting Google Assistant in the details. Amazon tends to push the Alexa support on their site for obvious reasons, but most smart plugs work with both (though always double check in the details and comments).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

bk wrote: »
    Most do. A few different ones were on sale on Amazon today. Probably come up again. They are usually listed as supporting Google Assistant in the details. Amazon tends to push the Alexa support on their site for obvious reasons, but most smart plugs work with both (though always double check in the details and comments).

Two questions ref smart plugs for use with Google Home/Assistant please:-

1. Is there any difference in functionality between this TP smart plug and the plugs that come in this twin pack?

2. Why would anyone pay £60 for the twin pack when you can buy 2 X single plugs for £35? Is that just a pricing anomaly by Amazon?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The TP-Link are a good quality plug that work well, I've got the energy monitoring version of this.

That sort of anomaly comes up on Amazon all the time. Watch out for it. It usually happens because the twin pack is left at the normal price, but the singles are reduced.

I'd alaways double check if buying singles is cheaper and also vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You can now add chromecast devices to speaker groups in the home app. Been waiting ages for this. The sound bar and the home create a savage sound stage in our little living room.

Do you mean you can add a 'TV' chromecast to an Audio group, so whatever is playing on the TV will also come through the Chromecast audio?

R.O.R wrote: »
    Do you mean you can add a 'TV' chromecast to an Audio group, so whatever is playing on the TV will also come through the Chromecast audio?

I don't think so, I think you can now add normal video Chromecasts to a home audio group, don't think you can cast video. I've not tried though tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I have a Chromecast audio added to my all speakers group...must try adding a Chromecast video too

It only works with content that you can cast to a speaker group. So, I think it will only share music at the minute. I don' think casting something like Netflix to the TV will share the sound with the Google Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It only works with content that you can cast to a speaker group. So, I think it will only share music at the minute. I don' think casting something like Netflix to the TV will share the sound with the Google Home.

Ah, so you can cast music to a TV, but not the other way around? I've audio chromecasts set up with speaker systems in the same rooms as the TVs so no need to play music through the TV, but would have been handy to play TV sound through the speakers.

Ah, so you can cast music to a TV, but not the other way around? I've audio chromecasts set up with speaker systems in the same rooms as the TVs so no need to play music through the TV, but would have been handy to play TV sound through the speakers.

Yeh, I just tested it there. I can only cast music through my Google Home and the TV speakers (hooked up to a soundbar) at the same time. When I try to cast something like Netflix or YouTube I can't select the speaker group so it only plays through the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Have two mini's at the moment (one in living room, one in bedroom) but thinking of adding at least one home hub into the mix. It looks terrific.

Also thinking of replacing our baby monitor (Motorola with terrible video and two-way audio quality) with a camera that can be viewed on the Home Hub. I know the Nest Camera will do this (and by all accounts will do it very well) but it is pricey as hell. Is there anything cheaper that will do a job that integrates well with the home hub? Would like to be able to view a continuous feed on the screen and to have 2 way audio.

I’m new to google home but just got one and was able to add in my Logi circle camera and cast video to chromecast. 2 way audio will work on phone/iPad, I’m not sure if it’s possible when video is on chromecast but I doubt it will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Still no way of integrating deezer to Google home?

I know I can cast it, but I personally prefer deezer to spotify and think it would be great if I could control it directly via google.

Don't understand this. Deezer is officially available in Ireland after all.

Advertisement