Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

That's what I would have thought but it doesn't.

Do you have an iPhone? Not sure if it works with those.

If you're on Android, try asking it to find your phone. If there is an issue with it being registered, it should throw an error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

It's disappointing that there's been no Chromecast Audio discounts. It's only $15 in US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone have any idea why Routines don't show up in my Google Home app? I thought i saw them there a while back, as in months ago but when I checked tonight there is no sign. I checked my missus phone and she doesn't have it either? Any ideas?

I have a mini in the kitchen if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Gulliver wrote: »
    Do you have an iPhone? Not sure if it works with those.

If you're on Android, try asking it to find your phone. If there is an issue with it being registered, it should throw an error.

I have an android and it works when I ask to ring it. But still doesn't send directions to my phone. Weird. Maybe another setting impacts on this working.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Has anybody being able to link their Google home to a ring doorbell. It's not showing up on my Google home and I can't seem to get it on iftt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Anyone here use Play Movies much? Haven't bought a movie in years, have instead made do with Netflix and Sky, but with Google Home integration (and the fact that movies bought in Play can be played on YouTube) I'm thinking of starting a collection for the kids (Disney, harry potter that sort of thing).

Seems to have a good catalogue, but no TV shows or 4k content in Ireland. Is there any better alternative with Google Home and Chromecast support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

All of my Google Homes and minis are coming up as Not available in the app. It's odd as they're all connected to the wifi and responding (I can play music via voice commands, control Hue & Nest etc) but they don't appear when I try stream via Spotify.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Screenshot-20181202-235425-Home.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah loads, especially my home hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah loads, especially my home hub.
    A reboot of my phone seems to have fixed it...I had tried killing the apps, restarting minis etc before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

johntune wrote: »
    Has anybody being able to link their Google home to a ring doorbell. It's not showing up on my Google home and I can't seem to get it on iftt either.

They don't really link together yet, and with Amazon owning ring they probably won't properly. I can get it to tell me the last activity was recorded and that's about it. Ifttt is extremely slow with it. I have a Philips hue bulb set to flash when the door rings, but this can happen a good few minutes after the doorbell is rung.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Home hub is €159 at Dublin airport this morning.

Minis are €29 and homes €85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Not a deal breaker, but I really wish they would consider changing the "hey/ok google" to something personalized or at least change it to a small, easy pronounced name. I used the amazon the other day and "Alexa" is so much handier/easier/flows off the tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Homes @ 85€ is a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

fletch wrote: »
    All of my Google Homes and minis are coming up as Not available in the app. It's odd as they're all connected to the wifi and responding (I can play music via voice commands, control Hue & Nest etc) but they don't appear when I try stream via Spotify.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Screenshot-20181202-235425-Home.jpg

I got that this morning on a google home? Was working fine yesterday. Had to disconnect cable to restart it. Ok after.
    I think the google mini was showing on home app.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Not a deal breaker, but I really wish they would consider changing the "hey/ok google" to something personalized or at least change it to a small, easy pronounced name. I used the amazon the other day and "Alexa" is so much handier/easier/flows off the tongue.

Yup. And allow us to have a different trigger for phone and for Google Home. It's such a pain in the ass when you ask Google Home to turn down a light or ask it a question and it starts to take over your phone screen even if it only lasts a couple of seconds. Needs a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I dunno what it is about the 'OK/Hey Google' that makes it so much more embarrassing to say out loud than 'Alexa' but whatever it is it's still real six months later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

keane2097 wrote: »
    I dunno what it is about the 'OK/Hey Google' that makes it so much more embarrassing to say out loud than 'Alexa' but whatever it is it's still real six months later!

Hey Doughal works for us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hey Doughal works for us :D

'Hey Booboo' in a Yogi Bear voice is about the most satisfactory way I have found.

I added a new room and a bulb to my Hue earlier. Should that synch onto my Home app, and be available by voice command? I dont remember having to set up rooms and lights on both Hue and Home before. But I don't see it coming onto Home app, even when I go into Home Control and pull down the screen to refresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I added a new room and a bulb to my Hue earlier. Should that synch onto my Home app, and be available by voice command? I dont remember having to set up rooms and lights on both Hue and Home before. But I don't see it coming onto Home app, even when I go into Home Control and pull down the screen to refresh.

Hey Google, sync my devices

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Doesn't seem to work great. Just combined lights in open plan room from being linked to 2 rooms now on one. But after synching it is still working off the old settings.

Doesn't seem to work great. Just combined lights in open plan room from being linked to 2 rooms now on one. But after synching it is still working off the old settings.

I ended up deleting the room in Home, it released the lights, added them to kitchen. Synching devices doesn't seem to work too well, maybe because I was messing about a bit, adding room, then deleting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I ended up deleting the room in Home, it released the lights, added them to kitchen. Synching devices doesn't seem to work too well, maybe because I was messing about a bit, adding room, then deleting it.

Sync devices doesn't seem to work anymore on Hue for me. Always gives me an error saying, the account holder will need to sync Philips Hue.

For any new bulbs I have to resync the Philips Hue from within the Home App. Then kill the Home App, reopen and new bulbs should have appeared. The Rooms I have set up in Hue differ from on Google so I always have to move the bulbs to the correct rooms and then delete the rooms that were created from Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭G&T22

Hi. This has probably been asked loads of times but I have gone through countless pages and cannot find the answer. Does the Google home mini support outgoing calls yet? If no has any indication been given as to when this might happen? Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sync devices doesn't seem to work anymore on Hue for me. Always gives me an error saying, the account holder will need to sync Philips Hue.

For any new bulbs I have to resync the Philips Hue from within the Home App. Then kill the Home App, reopen and new bulbs should have appeared. The Rooms I have set up in Hue differ from on Google so I always have to move the bulbs to the correct rooms and then delete the rooms that were created from Hue.
    I just say hey Google sync my devices and picks up new bulbs.. tried yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My Mini has been fairly patchy this past while, re connectivity and such.

Sorry, something went wrong.
    Please sign into your account.
    There was a glitch.
    etc, etc.

Playing BBC 5 Live isn't working well at all. It'll play about 30 seconds and then dead air. And it's generally slow to verbally respond to those requests too.

My internet was slow last week, but I changed the channel on the router and that fixed the slowness on my PC and Youtube, etc. I'm not sure if the above issues are due to wifi or the device itself.

G&T22 wrote: »
    Hi. This has probably been asked loads of times but I have gone through countless pages and cannot find the answer. Does the Google home mini support outgoing calls yet? If no has any indication been given as to when this might happen? Thank you.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Is anyone else getting informed about lottery now https://www.lottery.ie/lottery-now every time they stream something on Tune In? Started happening yesterday on my home hubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

john4321 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting informed about lottery now https://www.lottery.ie/lottery-now every time they stream something on Tune In? Started happening yesterday on my home hubs.

I think there was an add this morning. I just assumed it was an add on the radio.

Advertisement