Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Hey Google, Call Santa... Will keep your kids entertained for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

unklerosco wrote: »

Not setup for your country...Why have others setup the device to another country? wouldn't that give all wrong data about weather conditions, time etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

unklerosco wrote:

Don't even have kids and think that is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

just tried, that was cool lol

Not setup for your country...Why have others setup the device to another country? wouldn't that give all wrong data about weather conditions, time etc?

I switch between UK & US. Think it's on UK at the moment, makes no difference for weather etc. as that's based on my address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

unklerosco wrote:
    I switch between UK & US. Think it's on UK at the moment, makes no difference for weather etc. as that's based on my address.

So is it just language you need to change to UK/US to avail of these features? And can leave address alone for weather, drive to work etc?

So is it just language you need to change to UK/US to avail of these features? And can leave address alone for weather, drive to work etc?

Yep, that's what I do

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Their policy of not releasing certain features for other English-speaking countries, such as Ireland or Australia, but only to the UK and, even more so, the US is utterly idiotic. Why we can't have continuous conversation like the US makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

unklerosco wrote: »
    Yep, that's what I do

Can you advise how to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Can you advise how to do this?

Just set the language to USA English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I find Google play music fairly decent, the way I have it set up is I have a family account for Youtube premium this includes Play Music so in that i have individual accounts for each family member and because google home recognises each family members voice when they ask for a song its connected to their preferences so we don't mess up each others music tastes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Re call santa

Very strange but since this evening I'm getting a message saying it "isn't it's supported in this region". Been working perfectly up to this point and yes have all Google homes and phones set to US English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

jones wrote: »
    Re call santa

Very strange but since this evening I'm getting a message saying it "isn't it's supported in this region". Been working perfectly up to this point and yes have all Google homes and phones set to US English.

Getting the same but it worked the other day. So annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

slayerking wrote:
    Getting the same but it worked the other day. So annoying

Yeah mine was working the other day too very annoying.

Yeah mine was working the other day too very annoying.

Figured out how to get the call santa to work again. Go to home app, select a speaker - > Settings. Change device location to a random USA one (just type USA and select a random one).
    You might need to reboot but it worked again for me after this.

slayerking wrote: »
    Figured out how to get the call santa to work again. Go to home app, select a speaker - > Settings. Change device location to a random USA one (just type USA and select a random one).
    You might need to reboot but it worked again for me after this.

I'll try this later thanks. WHat do you mean by a random USA one though? Isnt there only US English?

I'll try this later thanks. WHat do you mean by a random USA one though? Isnt there only US English?

It's device location you need to change, so it's an address. Once you change it you can confirm its changed by asking the home 'where am I?'. It should say the address you've set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bought a Max to replace the worn out radio in the kitchen. With the bigger speakers in it you really notice a difference in input volume level between applications - TuneIn is significantly louder than Play Music which would be the two we'd use the most often

Can't find anything on whether there's a workaround for that though - anyone seen anything?

I use tune in and Spotify and never noticed a difference between the two.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Bought a Max to replace the worn out radio in the kitchen. With the bigger speakers in it you really notice a difference in input volume level between applications - TuneIn is significantly louder than Play Music which would be the two we'd use the most often

Can't find anything on whether there's a workaround for that though - anyone seen anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Home is a bit all over the place, isn't it? I know the synch my devices command, but it doesn't really work. After a power outage I now have 23 devices in the In Your Home section on Home, i.e. not in rooms. But they are in rooms. Mixture of Hue bulbs, nest thermostat, and Kasa TP link plugs. Also says I have 109 devices not in rooms in Settings -> Assistant tab -> Home Control, seems to include all the scenes assigned to Switches.

Was experimenting with using the kasa plugs to turn lots of things off at night. The modem, the ubituiti wireless router, the hue bridge, tv, amp etc. Then realised the lights won't work at all with the hue bridge powered down.

I think I'm right in saying the home and home mini won't work with the wireless router not having internet access. But will the hue bridge/lights and the kasa plugs work locally with no internet access, as long as the wireless router is available? At least then I can power down the mode at night and we still have working lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a brief power outage this evening and just got stuck with figuring out the reboot order - actually probably the gigabit switch was the only one that needed rebooting but I forgot it existed and rebooted the cable modem and router also leaving stuff like my ZigBee bridge without DHCP

Home didn't lose anything though. Least problematic part

All ZigBee bulbs came on at their remembered brightness and colour which was a bit odd driving back to the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Home is a bit all over the place, isn't it? I know the synch my devices command, but it doesn't really work. After a power outage I now have 23 devices in the In Your Home section on Home, i.e. not in rooms. But they are in rooms. Mixture of Hue bulbs, nest thermostat, and Kasa TP link plugs. Also says I have 109 devices not in rooms in Settings -> Assistant tab -> Home Control, seems to include all the scenes assigned to Switches.

Was experimenting with using the kasa plugs to turn lots of things off at night. The modem, the ubituiti wireless router, the hue bridge, tv, amp etc. Then realised the lights won't work at all with the hue bridge powered down.

I think I'm right in saying the home and home mini won't work with the wireless router not having internet access. But will the hue bridge/lights and the kasa plugs work locally with no internet access, as long as the wireless router is available? At least then I can power down the mode at night and we still have working lights.

To be honest,.turning off your router seems a bit of an odd.approach for a smart home.

Turning it back on again would be a pain for a start, and the benefit if turning it off is what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Can confirm that devices that require internet access to function won't function without internet access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Can confirm that devices that require internet access to function won't function without internet access.

Not only that, the Google home devices start broadcasting WiFi when they lose connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

To be honest,.turning off your router seems a bit of an odd.approach for a smart home.

Turning it back on again would be a pain for a start, and the benefit if turning it off is what ?

Had only meant to turn off the modem not the router. I like the idea of not having things like that and pilot lights on throughout the night. Agreed the router is not a good idea to turn off in a smarthome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Anyone got a google home hub for sale?
    Just to save me driving to the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Google hub and 2 free mini,s for $99,shipping is about €30 with addresspal,not sure what the craic would be with customs

https://www.abt.com/bundles/product/128205/Google-Charcoal-Home-Hub-GGLGA00515US.html

These deals are popping up daily in the usa,but usually only for 1 day,then the deal moves to a different store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭b.gud

davegilly wrote: »
    Minnie the same, can't get it to show up at all? Any ideas?

Just figured this out. My phone system language was set to English (Ireland) and once I changed it to English (United Kingdom), the same as my home mini, cleared the cache and wiped the data of the home app* I had routines and broadcast functionality in the app.

*I'm not sure if clearing the cache and wiping the data is necessary but it only took a minute so I did it just in case

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how to add people in “your people” in the google home app? I want to be able to remember family members birthdays etc but in the app when I open your people in settings it doesn’t let me do anything further?

Advertisement