Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I suspect the voice-calling is likely to be US only for now. Probably tied into their Google Voice service which isn't available outside of the US.

I think the big ones for us are:

- Can use any Bluetooth Speaker, nice for people who feel the speaker on the GHome isn't loud enough, you can now use any bluetooth speaker you might have or buy.

- Spotify Free now works on GHome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ok, so while I'm loving the new features they are talking about, we are still waiting for a catch up.

1) multi user support
    2) Google apps functionality.
    3) phone calls, as BK said, probably a long way off for anyone outside the us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

bk wrote: »
    I suspect the voice-calling is likely to be US only for now. Probably tied into their Google Voice service which isn't available outside of the US.

I think the big ones for us are:

- Can use any Bluetooth Speaker, nice for people who feel the speaker on the GHome isn't loud enough, you can now use any bluetooth speaker you might have or buy.

- Spotify Free now works on GHome.

They said the calling can be set to show the caller ID of whatever phone you choose, default is private number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Does it let you use a bluetooth speaker or does it only allow you to use it as a bluetooth speaker (i.e play music from your phone using the google home as a speaker).

Hope it is the first one, but think it might be the second:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They said the calling can be set to show the caller ID of whatever phone you choose, default is private number.

Seems to be US and Canada only for the moment as I expected.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    Does it let you use a bluetooth speaker or does it only allow you to use it as a bluetooth speaker (i.e play music from your phone using the google home as a speaker).

Hope it is the first one, but think it might be the second:confused:

You are right, it is the second, using GHome as a bluetooth speaker.

But now that we know it has the hardware for Bluetooth (this wasn't known until now), maybe they will add the first too eventually, fingers crossed.

BTW They are also adding support for creating calendar and reminders entries.

Seems to be US and Canada only for the moment as I expected.

You are right, it is the second, using GHome as a bluetooth speaker.

But now that we know it has the hardware for Bluetooth (this wasn't known until now), maybe they will add the first too eventually, fingers crossed.

I dont get the hooh hah about the Bluetooth feature, it's not actually providing any additional functionality seeing as you were always able to cast to a Google home anywau, so what is the huge advantage of being able to do the same thing via Bluetooth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I dont get the hooh hah about the Bluetooth feature, it's not actually providing any additional functionality seeing as you were always able to cast to a Google home anywau, so what is the huge advantage of being able to do the same thing via Bluetooth!!

Kinda what I was thinking also....what am I missing?

Not all apps support casting, Bluetooth allows you to cast any sound that might be on your phone.

Also, while they haven't mentioned it, it should mean that you can use GHome as a speakerphone for calls (separate to the new call feature only available in the US).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Can you cast from iPhone? If not, then it's a draw for iPhone users. Especially with the fact they have announced some assistant features on iPhone.

matrim wrote: »
    Can you cast from iPhone? If not, then it's a draw for iPhone users. Especially with the fact they have announced some assistant features on iPhone.

You can for apps that have casting support built in. Youtube, Netflix, etc.

But for instance non of Apples apps have casting, Apple Music, etc. So yes, bluetooth will help with apps like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭breeno

So are all the changes announced just software related? No improvements in hardware or speaker sound etc?

breeno wrote: »
    So are all the changes announced just software related? No improvements in hardware or speaker sound etc?

Well they are activating the bluetooth radio in it, that is sort of hardware related.

I'm not sure how you could just change the speaker sound, unless you mean them introducing a whole new device?

I find the sound to be perfectly good and if you want better sound, you can always use any speakers you want with chromecast audio.

I actually think what they need is a small cheaper device to compete with the Echo Dot.

Having said all that, it is clear that Google Assistant will soon be coming to all sorts of third party devices, including speakers, AV's, soundbars, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭breeno

Well they are activating the bluetooth radio in it, that is sort of hardware related.

I'm not sure how you could just change the speaker sound, unless you mean them introducing a whole new device?

I find the sound to be perfectly good and if you want better sound, you can always use any speakers you want with chromecast audio.

I actually think what they need is a small cheaper device to compete with the Echo Dot.

Having said all that, it is clear that Google Assistant will soon be coming to all sorts of third party devices, including speakers, AV's, soundbars, etc.
    Sorry yes I meant a new updated device. Some of the tech websites were referring to Google Home 2 and I thought it would be a new device with a better speaker etc. I still haven't heard the home in action. I was about to pull the trigger but have a a baba on the way so my tech indulgences have taken a back seat for now! Hope to get my hands on one in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Is the ability to play Spotify free a US-only development?

Still telling me I need a premium account.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thedevils

Yamanoto wrote: »

there are ways a means to fool Spotify into thinking its Premium, if you were that way inclined.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

thedevils wrote: »
    there are ways a means to fool Spotify into thinking its Premium, if you were that way inclined.:eek:

or just pay 2.50 per month for the real thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a practical workaround for this scenario?

I have 3 x gmail accounts:
    1. Personal. Google Music Access All Areas, and all my photos are here. Google Home is linked to this account.
    2. & 3. Work email

Trouble is, 90% of all calendar entries are in 2. and 3., so Google home is currently not seeing them at all :(

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

eamonnq wrote: »
    or just pay 2.50 per month for the real thing ?

or share a google music family plan with five friend which is €15/month for 5 accounts. I have this for my family and the kids love it as they can download whatever music they want to their phones and play offline.

It is also really cool being able to ask google home to play any sony at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Yamanoto wrote: »

Mine told me the same thing but I added the account and it works*. Maybe the back end is updated but not the options on the GH app?

*I am in the US though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will the RTE player ever have Chromecast ??

I have an android tv and have to sideload the RTE player App. Its so frustrating the use

PTH2009 wrote: »
    will the RTE player ever have Chromecast ??

I have an android tv and have to sideload the RTE player App. Its so frustrating the use

RTE currently use an old, pretty outdated now, platform for their Player service. Uses flash on laptops and doesn't work on most devices now!

Rumour has it that they have a whole now platform coming soon that will hopefully drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

RTE currently use an old, pretty outdated now, platform for their Player service. Uses flash on laptops and doesn't work on most devices now!

Rumour has it that they have a whole now platform coming soon that will hopefully drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

In fairness, RTE are not alone here. Sky and Eir use silverlight which is a right PITA and is no longer supported on anything other than IE. Neither of them provide cast support either. So RTE are much better than them already.

Is there a way to connect Google Home to wifi that needs additional web authentication. Example in a hotel. Was thinking of taking it for our summer holiday but the wifi at the resort requires additional authentication after you connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Is there a way to connect Google Home to wifi that needs additional web authentication. Example in a hotel. Was thinking of taking it for our summer holiday but the wifi at the resort requires additional authentication after you connect.

Could you do the authentication on your phone, when use the phone hotspot as the connection for the GHome?

Could you do the authentication on your phone, when use the phone hotspot as the connection for the GHome?

pretty sure you cannot hotspot from your wifi connection. It would work if I used mobile data but do not want to do that.

pretty sure you cannot hotspot from your wifi connection. It would work if I used mobile data but do not want to do that.

You could do it if you used a wireless access point that can log into such hotel wifis. I've a device like this for travelling, to get around this limitation and the x number of device limitation some hotels have.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How much hassle is it buying online - would Currys or John Lewis sell it to a Parcel Motel address or must you have a UK credit card as you used to have to do with other Google products?

I've an opportunity to pick it up when I'm in the UK next week if it's a load of hassle buying it online.

I got it no bother from Argos a few weeks ago with an Irish credit card and sent via parcel motel.

• Advertisement

You could do it if you used a wireless access point that can log into such hotel wifis. I've a device like this for travelling, to get around this limitation and the x number of device limitation some hotels have.

bk - what device do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

ixoy wrote: »
    I've an opportunity to pick it up when I'm in the UK next week if it's a load of hassle buying it online.

its £119 in Dixons airport stores if you're flying back.

RonanC wrote: »
    its £119 in Dixons airport stores if you're flying back.
    Great, will look out for that. There's a Dixons at the airport so hopefully it'l lbe in stock.
    If that fails, I'll go the Argos / Parcel Motel route.

All this just so I can command my lights to come on without opening an app..

bk - what device do you use?

This is what I use, it actually does a lot more then what I described, portable battery, etc as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TI3WQJS/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1496048593&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ravpower

There are many alternative devices that do the same on amazon too.

This is what I use, it actually does a lot more then what I described, portable battery, etc as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TI3WQJS/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1496048593&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ravpower

There are many alternative devices that do the same on amazon too.

nice. So to clarify, a device like this you can setup to connect to an open wireless network, authenticate via a browser logon and then share this connection on your own new wifi network?

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Found my first major frustration with Google Home this weekend. :mad:

Our Google Home is in the livingroom, and linked up to my personal Google Account. This is quite nice as I can ask it about my day, play my playlists etc. Both my wife and I use this for music.

I purchased the Google Play family plan, so up to 6 users can use my account. I was under the impression (after talking with Google themselves) that I could play music on my GH and on my phone/PC at the same time and all would work seamlessly. Unfortunately, and frustratingly no! :mad:

I now have the scenario whereby if I start playing music downstairs on my Google home, and then I go to the office/walk etc and play other music there, the downstairs music cuts off. I talked to Google about this and they pretty much had no solution other than to create a new account, add that account as a user on my Family plan, and use that user on the GH - meaning I lose all my playlists and personalised questions).

Furthermore, I had a number of Chromecast audios around the house. Great if I want to play all the same thing around the house, but this same scenario limits me from playing multiple different types of music around the house. I know in the US they have voice recognition so each user's google music user can be used (thus allowing my wife to play X downstairs and me to play Y upstairs), but this doesnt allow 1 user to setup audio around the entire house.

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Found my first major frustration with Google Home this weekend. :mad:

Our Google Home is in the livingroom, and linked up to my personal Google Account. This is quite nice as I can ask it about my day, play my playlists etc. Both my wife and I use this for music.

I purchased the Google Play family plan, so up to 6 users can use my account. I was under the impression (after talking with Google themselves) that I could play music on my GH and on my phone/PC at the same time and all would work seamlessly. Unfortunately, and frustratingly no! :mad:

I now have the scenario whereby if I start playing music downstairs on my Google home, and then I go to the office/walk etc and play other music there, the downstairs music cuts off. I talked to Google about this and they pretty much had no solution other than to create a new account, add that account as a user on my Family plan, and use that user on the GH - meaning I lose all my playlists and personalised questions).

Furthermore, I had a number of Chromecast audios around the house. Great if I want to play all the same thing around the house, but this same scenario limits me from playing multiple different types of music around the house. I know in the US they have voice recognition so each user's google music user can be used (thus allowing my wife to play X downstairs and me to play Y upstairs), but this doesnt allow 1 user to setup audio around the entire house.

/rant over

Sorry but Spotify is your answer.
    I had the exact same problem. I've got a spotify family plan with 6 users.
    It was easy to move the playlists to the others from my main account.
    If you speak to google home it will play from my spotify but if they want to play their own playlists on it or any of the chromecasts around the house they can just stream from their devices.

Roll on multi user google home for multiple accounts on the home :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

lafors wrote: »
    Sorry but Spotify is your answer.
    I had the exact same problem. I've got a spotify family plan with 6 users.
    It was easy to move the playlists to the others from my main account.
    If you speak to google home it will play from my spotify but if they want to play their own playlists on it or any of the chromecasts around the house they can just stream from their devices.

Roll on multi user google home for multiple accounts on the home :)

Is spotify's family account limited by devices, or users?

Edit: Googling there seems to say that each user needs to have their own account. This is the same as Google Music. ie. I'd have to setup a GH user for my google home, and lose all my playlists. Only advantage is that GH would still be able to know my calendar etc.

nice. So to clarify, a device like this you can setup to connect to an open wireless network, authenticate via a browser logon and then share this connection on your own new wifi network?

Yes.

Though FYI it is a good idea, to setup the device to connect to your laptop, phone and GHome, etc. before leaving home. Then at the hotel, you only need to set it up to connect to the hotel wireless. Makes it easier then trying to get things setup after you came off a long flight, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Well I pulled the trigger on the Home like any gadget I dint need it but I Want one... :) voice control is the way forward. I have the xbonr connect and although it's a but limited I do use it and can see the potential with voice control.

Ordered it from John Lewis in the UK £129 including a Chromecast. Anybody experience with them? Sending it to parcel motel so should have it mid next week is say. Rock on

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

Just got mine set up now (also bought in John Lewis with a bonus Chromecast but in store!). Easy set up to link to Netflix, Spotify and my Philips Hue.

Where do most people position theirs - at a halfway point in their house?

ixoy wrote: »
    Where do most people position theirs - at a halfway point in their house?

Usually kitchen or living room. I think most people end up with a few, one in each room ideally.

Usually kitchen or living room. I think most people end up with a few, one in each room ideally.

I've mine in the living room for now. If they had one more like the echo dot I would be tempted to put the current one in the kitchen (for music) and have the smaller one in the living room for voice commands

We have one in the kitchen, which gets the most use, and another in the bedroom, plan to get three more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Get it through a UK store using Parcel Motel/Parcel Wizard/Address Pal etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Well I pulled the trigger on the Home like any gadget I dint need it but I Want one... :) voice control is the way forward. I have the xbonr connect and although it's a but limited I do use it and can see the potential with voice control.

Ordered it from John Lewis in the UK £129 including a Chromecast. Anybody experience with them? Sending it to parcel motel so should have it mid next week is say. Rock on

Well it eventually got to the parcel motel in Dublin yesterday afternoon at 16:30 but it hasn't managed to get to Cork yet...!!!I would have thought it would of at least be thrown on a van going to Cork this morning and I would have it today. A bit pissed off with parcel motel with this one. Usually not too bad

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Wonder when it will support Google Hangouts as being able to phone someone from it would be really handy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Just seen these are available in Maplins in Ireland now but are priced at 169.99. Didn't know they were available here yet apart from the UK route.

Anyone know of any other retailers in Ireland doing them cheaper or of any good Deals in UK stores?

Due a birthday present and was hoping to pick up one of the Deals with the free Chromecast Audio but don't see any deals apart from 3 months free Google music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭argentum

skerry wrote: »
    Just seen these are available in Maplins in Ireland now but are priced at 169.99. Didn't know they were available here yet apart from the UK route.

Anyone know of any other retailers in Ireland doing them cheaper or of any good Deals in UK stores?

Due a birthday present and was hoping to pick up one of the Deals with the free Chromecast Audio but don't see any deals apart from 3 months free Google music.
    Maplins took my order online then rang me to say that they are not sold here and that it was a mistake.
    Argos.uk and parcel motel will get you one with a free Chromecast

• Advertisement

argentum wrote: »
    Maplins took my order online then rang me to say that they are not sold here and that it was a mistake.
    Argos.uk and parcel motel will get you one with a free Chromecast

How do you get the free chromecast? I don't see that offer

Advertisement