Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone been able to get continuous conversation to work here (tried searching forum incase this had previously been covered but coukdbt see anything).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Has anyone been able to get continuous conversation to work here (tried searching forum incase this had previously been covered but coukdbt see anything).

Yep, it works for me set to US English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Moreilly wrote: »
    google interpreter mode now working....

Say "Ok Google."
    Say a command, like:
    Be my Italian interpreter.
    Help me speak Spanish.
    Interpret from Polish to Dutch.
    Chinese interpreter.
    Turn on interpreter mode.
    If you haven’t identified languages, choose which languages you want to use.
    When you hear the tone, start speaking in either language. You don’t have to alternate between languages for interpreter mode to work.
    On a Smart Display, you’ll both see and hear the translated conversation.

To stop using interpreter mode, say a command like:

Stop.
    Quit.
    Exit.

Works really well

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭KingCong

The "Play Newstalk" command has stopped working for me over the weekend, it starts playing the news now or even fox news. Forced to say "Play Newstalk on Tunein" now. Still works fine for other stations like Today FM or RTE Radio 1 etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭b.gud

KingCong wrote: »
    The "Play Newstalk" command has stopped working for me over the weekend, it starts playing the news now or even fox news. Forced to say "Play Newstalk on Tunein" now. Still works fine for other stations like Today FM or RTE Radio 1 etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

I know it's different to what you normally say but I've always said, "Play Newstalk Radio" and that worked for me this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I always say "Play Newstalk FM" for it to work.

dulpit wrote: »
    I always say "Play Newstalk FM" for it to work.

Thanks I'll give that a try, always used to work for me saying just "Play Newstalk". Also noticed if Newstalk is added as a news source, the new snippet it plays is usually days out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

KingCong wrote: »
    Thanks I'll give that a try, always used to work for me saying just "Play Newstalk". Also noticed if Newstalk is added as a news source, the new snippet it plays is usually days out of date.

I haven't checked in a while, but I noticed that if I asked for news Newstalk's would give a really old date, but current news. RTE was usually correct then. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

dulpit wrote: »
    I haven't checked in a while, but I noticed that if I asked for news Newstalk's would give a really old date, but current news. RTE was usually correct then. :confused:

Yeah i removed newstalk from my news sources it kept giving me the same news from month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is there any way to skip past the ad at the start of streaming Newstalk?
    I know I can say "Hey Google Play Newstalk" once to start it, and once (after the ad starts) to start properly.

Is there any way to skip the ad at the start automatically?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Is there any way to skip past the ad at the start of streaming Newstalk?
    I know I can say "Hey Google Play Newstalk" once to start it, and once (after the ad starts) to start properly.

Is there any way to skip the ad at the start automatically?

Think that's a Tunein thing rather than something Google control, so doubt there's a way around it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yep, it works for me set to US English

Switched to that and now when I ask the temperature it gives me Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. The app under settings then weather is set to Celsius- any ideas on how to fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Is there anyway to stop google talking back to you when you ask it to dim lights etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Is there anyway to stop google talking back to you when you ask it to dim lights etc?

Do you have the female voice option turned on? If so, then let it catch you looking at an Alexa. It won't talk to you for weeks after.

Don't mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Do you have the female voice option turned on? If so, then let it catch you looking at an Alexa. It won't talk to you for weeks after.

Don't mention it.

brilliant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yes - a question so common it's pinned to the Google home reddit forum. The answer: Routines. Set up a routine to dim the light through your GHome app and it won't pointlessly utter what it's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes - a question so common it's pinned to the Google home reddit forum. The answer: Routines. Set up a routine to dim the light through your GHome app and it won't pointlessly utter what it's doing.

Excellent, thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Last night I set-up a routine when y alarm goes off to turn on the light, tell me about the weather & news.

This morning this all happened. The alarm on my phone went off and my phone went through the different tasks in the routine

I have a google mini in the bedroom too, what I would like is for the announcements to be played through it. I can't see anything in the routine to make it play on the mini instead of the phone.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I can't see anything in the routine to make it play on the mini instead of the phone.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If you just create a routine from the home app -> when you select time for the routine to run at, there is option for what speaker to use.
    Not sure how you have the alarm configured in it?

Screenshot_20190221-204143.jpg

If you just create a routine from the home app -> when you select time for the routine to run at, there is option for what speaker to use.
    Not sure how you have the alarm configured in it?

Screenshot_20190221-204143.jpg

In the Google calendar app where I set the alarm there is an option to configure a routine, see the screenshot attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

In the Google calendar app where I set the alarm there is an option to configure a routine, see the screenshot attached.

Hmm, struggling to find where that is? Is that the native Google calendar app on your android phone itself?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hmm, struggling to find where that is? Is that the native Google calendar app on your android phone itself?

Apologies, it's not the calendar app, it's the clock app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭MickH503

Nedved85 wrote: »

It's in the Clock app where you'd set up an alarm. Is there any way to make it play a radio station, like Newstalk through TuneIn?

Is Newstalk broken for anyone else? My mini just plays a week old news summary if I ask for Newstalk.

Mr E wrote: »
    Is Newstalk broken for anyone else? My mini just plays a week old news summary if I ask for Newstalk.

Say newstalk fm.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thanks. Newstalk used to work on its own. Ah well.

Is there any way I can setup the home so that when I ask it to play something on Netflix that it knows to use my Netflix profile?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yes, the Videos & Photos setting in the Home app had the option to select profile when you link your Netflix account.

Yes, the Videos & Photos setting in the Home app had the option to select profile when you link your Netflix account.

Nice one

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's cat that after this length Netflix still doesn't work with the Shield version.

Advertisement