Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

I'm after ordering a Lenovo Smart Display on eBay from AO. So dumb question: What happens if I have the regular Google Home and Lenovo in the same room and I say "Hey Google"? How do I direct my commands to a particular device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'm after ordering a Lenovo Smart Display on eBay from AO. So dumb question: What happens if I have the regular Google Home and Lenovo in the same room and I say "Hey Google"? How do I direct my commands to a particular device?

Well some of my mini's overlap in their pickup, with my Nvidia shield so if I say "play x on living room speaker" or "play y on shield", it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have a Home speaker and a Home hub in the living room and it's usually the one that you're closest to that picks up your request. In the app you can also specify a default speaker for media.

Yeah this is crazy change your address to a UK one and it works but that is obviously not practical for your Google account. I think I also got it to work with UK settings on the tv

I’ve changed the location and content to the UK but can’t get it to work. Any ideas what else I need to change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Did you use address pal for this?

• Advertisement

I did yes. Delivered this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

AngelaRI wrote: »

Can I use parcel motel/ parcel wizard with the UK store? £180 vs €220 for the nest hello, with the €4 surhcarge its about €15 further savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Can I use parcel motel/ parcel wizard with the UK store? £180 vs €220 for the nest hello, with the €4 surhcarge its about €15 further savings

I always use ParcelMotel for UK Google Store, as they don't deliver to Ireland, never had an issue using Parcel Motel and I've bought a number of times off Google Store UK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am trying to rack my brain, both me and the kids used to be able to ask Google to read a bedtime story (have some bought from the Google book store) and they also have some in Google home itself but its stopped working?

Can't get it to read any book now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Has anybody elses google mini started not responding and just shows 4 solid white lights? Mine started on Saturday and i contacted Google just got back "we are aware of the issue and working on a solution"

I have tried resetting etc,... and no response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

eusap wrote: »
    Has anybody elses google mini started not responding and just shows 4 solid white lights? Mine started on Saturday and i contacted Google just got back "we are aware of the issue and working on a solution"

I have tried resetting etc,... and no response
    My radio alarm clock didn't work this morning but yeh the 4 lights were lit

Am trying to rack my brain, both me and the kids used to be able to ask Google to read a bedtime story (have some bought from the Google book store) and they also have some in Google home itself but its stopped working?

Can't get it to read any book now :(

Sorry lads, can someone please ask Google to read a bed time story and let me know if it works for you.

Is working on the two hubs we have but bit the homes or minks....used to always work. Nest support on twitter has said to try rebooting the devices not working, that has not made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sorry lads, can someone please ask Google to read a bed time story and let me know if it works for you.

Is working on the two hubs we have but bit the homes or minks....used to always work. Nest support on twitter has said to try rebooting the devices not working, that has not made a difference.

Just asked it there and it's working away!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Working on my Lenovo smart clock, Lenovo Smart Display and Onkyo G3 speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Just tried it there too and it worked.

I'm wondering how Google's algorithms are dealing with a middle aged man asking for a bedtime story at 7 on a Friday night though? Probably fewer ads for beer!

Thanks lads, v frustrating it works on some devices in the house (just not the one in the kids room!) plus in other houses (yours)....will keep talking to their help people on Twitter,

Would normally be at the Leinster game but needed the kids calm in bed so I can watch the game in peace on the tv!

As per their twitter support, all works ok when you switch back to US English....

We can move music and videos currently playing to another device now:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/08/google-stream-transfer-home-nest-chromecast/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

My morning routine was to ask my Google home hub 'what's the news' while making breakfast & it used to play me the headlines from RTE, BCC & NPR. Last week it looks to have changed to showing me headlines instead from English tabloids which is of zero use to me. Is it working ok for anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭davegilly

opus wrote: »
    My morning routine was to ask my Google home hub 'what's the news' while making breakfast & it used to play me the headlines from RTE, BCC & NPR. Last week it looks to have changed to showing me headlines instead from English tabloids which is of zero use to me. Is it working ok for anyone else?
    Mine is doing the same. I asked for RTE news and she replied that she can't play news from RTE! Not sure when it changed.

Just checked the news sources from the home app and RTE is no longer there. Newstalk is though so I've added that now instead.

davegilly wrote: »
    Mine is doing the same. I asked for RTE news and she replied that she can't play news from RTE! Not sure when it changed.

Just checked the news sources from the home app and RTE is no longer there. Newstalk is though so I've added that now instead.

I've still got the same news sources in the app but doesn't work of course. Can get them to play individually so not the end of the work but it was neat having it play them in sequence in response to a 'what's the new' statement.

493520.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are there any good quizzes on this?

I used to always play lucky trivia but it seems to have disappeared?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone having an issue where the volume drops when a mini is playing a playlist from Spotify or where it just stops the music altogether? At the moment my toddler wants to sleep on the big bed and fall asleep listening to Enya. It breaks the peace and quiet having to ask to raise the volume or resume music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone having an issue where the volume drops when a mini is playing a playlist from Spotify or where it just stops the music altogether? At the moment my toddler wants to sleep on the big bed and fall asleep listening to Enya. It breaks the peace and quiet having to ask to raise the volume or resume music.

Spotify drops a lot with it yeah. Drops the connection to the Chromcast and plays on my phone instead or keeps playing on the Chomecast and the phone.

davegilly wrote: »

And it's back working again, no changes on my side.

Google mini (1st gen) in spare room isnt working, tried a hard reset but all I get is a single green light, does this mean its bricked?

Strangely (but thankfully) no others in the house are affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've 4 X Google's in total 2 in bedrooms and one in the garage (all minis) and they'll play music from yt music or Google music (depending on the linked Google account)

I also have a Google home in the dining room.

The home however will only play music for me, it is fairly temperamental to others about turning on the lights, setting the temperature, and as for playing music? Forget it, when the wife or kids ask it to play something, it just says something about Spotify premium not being active, but here's a playlist related to (enter artist name here)

It's mad, because up until a few months ago it would perform all tasks asked of it regardless of who was asking it.

We have a YouTube premium family account, everyone has individual accounts signed in, linked and voice match etc.

Doesn't bother me too much, as she does what I ask, but the wife and kids are ready to throw it up the back field. :D

Anyone any idea?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Can I ask how you manage to actress routines in Ireland? Mine disappeared and the only solution have Google an American accent.
    opus wrote: »
    I've still got the same news sources in the app but doesn't work of course. Can get them to play individually so not the end of the work but it was neat having it play them in sequence in response to a 'what's the new' statement.

493520.jpg

• Advertisement

Google mini (1st gen) in spare room isnt working, tried a hard reset but all I get is a single green light, does this mean its bricked?

Strangely (but thankfully) no others in the house are affected.

Got on to Nest support via twitter and after done questions and emails they are sending me a replacement mini. Have to return the faulty one using a free post label.

Advertisement