Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

I pulled the trigger on the Google Nest Hub smart display for £59 (£60 off) from Google's UK store and used Parcel Wizard as my address. It shipped today.

If anything it will be handy in the kitchen for speaking out recipies step by step and I might also use it next to my bed side locker for the mornings.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub

Edit: just spotted the Google home mega thread in bargain alerts haven't been on that subforum recently!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry i'm a total noob with these things so bear with me if the below doesn't make sense.

Tried to set up a custom routine last night in the assistant app which will tell me which bin is supposed to go out. The command should be "Hey google, which bin is it this week?" and it's supposed to check the corresponding calendar event. If I do it manually through the assistant app on my phone it works perfectly but none of the speakers in the house are recognising the command.

If I tell it to just check my calendar for Monday it reads back what I want to hear but where's the fun in that? :o

Any ideas? Do I need to sync the speakers after setting something like this up on the app or something?

Thanks.

Edit: got this worknig with a bit more tinkering. deleted te one I made and recreated it through the sttings menu rather than using the routines option in the GH app. worked this time even thoguh it seemed identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

my google home mini has started to respond with a female english voice to some commands has anyone else experienced this? I didn't make any changes to the settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

cintec wrote: »
    my google home mini has started to respond with a female english voice to some commands has anyone else experienced this? I didn't make any changes to the settings

Yes, from about 6:30pm this evening. As far as I can tell, with the language set to "English (Ireland)" it used to use the same voice as "English (UK)". This has now changed. With "English (UK)" you get to chose the old female voice, or a new male one. With "English (Ireland)", you don't get a choice, just the new female voice.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rooster86

jones wrote: »
    Wow I changed the country but not the content region worked straight away once I changed both to UK Wtf. Thanks for the heads up

Hey Jones I'm having same issue. I changed TV region to UK but Google mini still won't connect, says LG not supported in this region ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm going to splash out on colour changing bulbs to go with my Google set up, just wanted to ask real quick, is Philips hue the way to go (there's a starter kit with 2 X white and 1 X coloured bulb for 95£ or so online) or would I be just as well buying generic smart coloured bulbs off Amazon such as these ?

WiFi Smart Bulb Alexa Light Bulbs B22 Bayonet Colour Dimmable, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT, 7W Equivalent 60W, 2700K, AISIRER Smart Light Bulb 2 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S79FBB2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Mc46DbSVYWHNT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'd say go with Hue as it's very flexible and has a good well supported app. I'd imagine those hubless systems would need good Wi-Fi coverage which isn't an issue with Hue l. I only actually have a few Hue bulbs - mainly use Ikea Tradfri ones. Much cheaper but I had to pair them via touchlink - not too much hassle and only had to do it once. The new range of Tradfri bulbs are great - I picked up one of these last week - colour temperature adjustable and can set it to a really cosy warm white - perfect for lamps. They even do a hipster filament type bulb. I'm not actually sure what the Tradfri hub & app is like but can't imagine it's as polished as Hue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Kasa Smart Bulb by TP-link

I have a few of these and their smart plugs and no issues with them using with kasa schedules and Google home. There are also dining a 15 euro/pound simply dimmable bulb now to.

There are a regonised brand in WiFi extenders etc. No hub and not had any issues with WiFi connections etc.

Also, I keep them in my wish list on amazon and wait till there on special offer, check price history to get an idea of when to buy.

Thanks guys, just bought these ones:

Alexa Smart WiFi Light Bulbs B22 Bayonet 2 Pack by LUMIMAN RGBCW Colour 7.5w, Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, 60W Remote Control by Smart Phone iOS & Android, No Hub Required https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NWCZPJG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lVo7DbV40H8PD

@ £11 including postage to Ireland to dip my toes in the water, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks guys, just bought these ones:

Alexa Smart WiFi Light Bulbs B22 Bayonet 2 Pack by LUMIMAN RGBCW Colour 7.5w, Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, 60W Remote Control by Smart Phone iOS & Android, No Hub Required https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NWCZPJG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lVo7DbV40H8PD

@ £11 including postage to Ireland to dip my toes in the water, I'll let you know how I get on.

So these arrived, and I've them connected up easily enough, however anyone know what procedures I need to follow so two different kids in two different bedrooms can control them with voice only?

I'm not at home right now, but would like a heads up for when I get there.

Sorted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Kids are trying to listen to the Frozen 2 soundtrack via Spotify on their Google home, it always starts playing Frozen 1 but when you can get it to work its playing Frozen 2 in Spanish....anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Frozen 2 soundtrack via Spotify is in spanish here also, (but it worked 1st try ie not frozen 1)

Google doesn't seem to want to play Christmas music for our house.

"Hey Google, play Christmas music" results in YouTube music producing a playlist called "Music to Spy to"

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Google doesn't seem to want to play Christmas music for our house.

"Hey Google, play Christmas music" results in YouTube music producing a playlist called "Music to Spy to"

Anyone else?

Just tested, got a playlist called "Christmas Classics" from Spotify...

dulpit wrote: »
    Just tested, got a playlist called "Christmas Classics" from Spotify...

I'm using YouTube premium though.

It's a weird one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Hey Jones I'm having same issue. I changed TV region to UK but Google mini still won't connect, says LG not supported in this region ??

Yeah i read there is some issue with LG and Google in Ireland so you have to have both set as the UK (or US i presume). Very strange as Google has the home in the country for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I'm using YouTube premium though.

It's a weird one.

how are those bulbs u bought going. are they strong enough to light a medium sized room, are there delays when using google to talk to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My Hub arrived today, yay!

Has anyone managed to get Deezer working on it? I've changed my location to London, even tried San Francisco... Still no luck, I'm not seeing Deezer on the list, however there are more options on the list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Google Home now works again with Google Keep for managing lists. So you can more cleanly manage different lists than what had been there and use different types of lists by voice commands.

ixoy wrote: »
    Google Home now works again with Google Keep for managing lists. So you can more cleanly manage different lists than what had been there and use different types of lists by voice commands.

Have you been able to select Keep as a list service? I have the "Notes and Lists" section in my Assistant settings, but the only option is "Don't Sync"

R

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

RunDMC wrote: »
    Have you been able to select Keep as a list service? I have the "Notes and Lists" section in my Assistant settings, but the only option is "Don't Sync"

R
    Yes I have. I have options for - Any.do, AnyList, Bring Shoppng Lists, Google Keep and Don't Sync.
    Seems it's being rolled out in stages. It wasn't there a few days ago.

how are those bulbs u bought going. are they strong enough to light a medium sized room, are there delays when using google to talk to it.

Honestly, they're absolutely fantastic, preset scenes (Halloween, Christmas, valentine's etc etc etc) you can use the app to have them come on at certain times, go off, etc. They can be set to come on gradually in the morning, make them go off after a certain time (reading at night etc) set them any colour you want, and they can be controlled individually or as a group.

Haven't had any issues with controlling them via home by voice.

Honestly guys - solid purchase, definitely a big 5/5 from me.

I'm still not getting the option to set a list provider in Google Assistant, is anyone else having the same issue? It showed up on my wife's phone today and she's very happily adding items to our shared shopping list in Keep. I think she's doing it to annoy me at this stage!

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

RunDMC wrote: »
    I'm still not getting the option to set a list provider in Google Assistant, is anyone else having the same issue? It showed up on my wife's phone today and she's very happily adding items to our shared shopping list in Keep. I think she's doing it to annoy me at this stage!

R

I have the setting in assistant and have set it to Keep, but when I add something to my shopping list it still goes into the old one :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

Have you tried making a new list in Keep, calling it Shopping List? It works fine for me. You may have to delete the old shopping list.

UK radio stations via tune in are now not allowed in this country (my hub says), anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

UK radio stations via tune in are now not allowed in this country (my hub says), anyone else?

Just checked if BBC radio works, it did no problem, but said playing from bbc. I asked for talksport,played fine (and loaded quicker) and said it was from tunein...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dulpit wrote: »
    Just checked if BBC radio works, it did no problem, but said playing from bbc. I asked for talksport,played fine (and loaded quicker) and said it was from tunein...

Same.

Thanks lads, I was trying Heart stations from the UK...will try again tomorrow to see of it's any different.

• Advertisement

Email today from Anylist

Dear Sheepshagger

We’re pleased to announce that AnyList now works with the Google Assistant. To quickly add items to your lists, just say, “Hey Google, add milk to my shared grocery list,” or, “Hey Google, add sunscreen to my packing list.”

You can choose to sync some or all of your lists in AnyList with your Google Assistant, so you’ll always be ready when inspiration strikes.

To get started, go to the Settings tab in AnyList and select Google Assistant under the Voice Assistants section to link AnyList with your Google Assistant. Step-by-step instructions, including screenshots, are available on our website:

Link AnyList with the Google Assistant

Once your account is linked, you’ll be able to use your Google Assistant to add items to lists, create new lists, and ask about the contents of your lists. For more information, including a full list of supported commands and answers to frequently asked questions, please see this page on the AnyList Help website.

You can use AnyList with your Google Assistant across a wide variety of devices. Most Android phones have the Google Assistant built-in, and if you have an iPhone, you can download the Google Assistant app. You can also use Google Assistant-enabled speakers, like the Nest Mini, and smart displays, like the Nest Hub Max.

We’ve received many messages asking for AnyList to work with the Google Assistant, so we’re excited that it’s now possible! Let us know what you think by replying to this message. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and helps us to make AnyList more useful for everyone.

Thanks for using AnyList!

Best regards,

Jason & Jeff, the AnyList Team

Advertisement