Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old laptop no HDD

• 30-11-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

I have an Old Toshiba Satellite C855-1W7 Windows 8 laptop no HDD. It was removed and is long gone. Windows came pre installed and I do not have any of the discs etc that came with it.
    I was hoping to put a new HDD into it but I understand that there is a problem putting Windows on Windows is tied to the original spec.
    I have a full set of Windows 10 that I used for a new desktop build recently if thats any use.
    Has anyone an idea how to go forward with this issue. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

apc wrote: »
    I have an Old Toshiba Satellite C855-1W7 Windows 8 laptop no HDD. It was removed and is long gone. Windows came pre installed and I do not have any of the discs etc that came with it.
    I was hoping to put a new HDD into it but I understand that there is a problem putting Windows on Windows is tied to the original spec.
    I have a full set of Windows 10 that I used for a new desktop build recently if thats any use.
    Has anyone an idea how to go forward with this issue. Cheers

It's possible the product key for the Windows 8 install is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Hoping it works, but here's a link to obtain the ISO (legally!)

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

me_irl wrote: »

Will try that thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

mordeith wrote: »
    It's possible the product key for the Windows 8 install is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

The license key is within the machine itself (BIOS I think), so they should good to go ... as long as they ...
    apc wrote: »
    Will try that thanks

... download the correct version for that machine - it has to match what was installed originally - Home/Pro etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, if you install Win10 home, it should activate automatically. Win10 activates automatically on Win7/Win8 machines with a key contained within the bios.

It's possible to get i3 machines on Ebay for €80-100 with Win7 stickers that provide genuine copies of Win10 upon installation...bargain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

It's possible to get i3 machines on Ebay for €80-100 with Win7 stickers that provide genuine copies of Win10 upon installation...bargain :)

Any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Yes, if you install Win10 home, it should activate automatically. Win10 activates automatically on Win7/Win8 machines with a key contained within the bios. )

Worked a treat, installed new hard drive and booted with Win10 disc.

Thanks to all for your help:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What are going to use it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Keplar240B wrote: »
    What are going to use it for?

Word, powerpoint, internet browsing

Advertisement