Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Summer Work Visa

Options
  • 30-11-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm travelling to the US for 4 months this summer to stay with my partner and her family. I'm trying to sort out what visa I need. I'm a full time student, and have a job lined up at the towns country club. I won't be needing accommodation or flights as this is already sorted, so I cannot apply to the J1 visa programme.
    Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this, and which visa they applied for?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

I'm travelling to the US for 4 months this summer to stay with my partner and her family. I'm trying to sort out what visa I need. I'm a full time student, and have a job lined up at the towns country club. I won't be needing accommodation or flights as this is already sorted, so I cannot apply to the J1 visa programme.
    Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this, and which visa they applied for?
    Thanks!

There is no other visa. It's a J1 that is available for you.

It's not about not needing the flights, they are a mandatory component of the programme for USIT and SAYIT, therefore you pay the fees (for flights etc) or you don't go. USIT or SAYIT would also have to verify that the job is suitable for you to take up. You can't just roll up and take whatever job.

That is the only visa available at this time (unless you marry your partner in the interim).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

The J1 is your only option. There is no other visa that lets you legally stay and work in the US for 4 months in your situation. As the previous poster said marriage is an option but even then you would have to apply for a green card before you are allowed to work. I would make sure you let the towns county club know that you have no work authorisation as of yet as they can get into serious trouble if they hire you illegally. You should look into J1 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 serendipity i am

There is no other visa. It's a J1 that is available for you.

It's not about not needing the flights, they are a mandatory component of the programme for USIT and SAYIT, therefore you pay the fees (for flights etc) or you don't go. USIT or SAYIT would also have to verify that the job is suitable for you to take up. You can't just roll up and take whatever job.

That is the only visa available at this time (unless you marry your partner in the interim).

Okay, so my best option is to cancel my flight and go through their organisation?
    It's very expensive, and aimed more at big groups travelling to large cities... this isn't what I need
    I'm hoping that the job will get verified no worries, otherwise I have a few options lined up if it falls through

MeMeJK1 wrote: »
    The J1 is your only option. There is no other visa that lets you legally stay and work in the US for 4 months in your situation. As the previous poster said marriage is an option but even then you would have to apply for a green card before you are allowed to work. I would make sure you let the towns county club know that you have no work authorisation as of yet as they can get into serious trouble if they hire you illegally. You should look into J1 again.

Ok, thanks for the advice!
    I dont think marriage and the green card are an option right now... haha
    The country club is aware but are willing to provide the necessary info and what not in order for my visa to be approved. I know it's up to the embassy to approve overall, but at least I've the go-ahead on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

Your best bet would probably be to contact USIT or other J1 agent and discuss your options with them. Unfortunately there really is no other visa option for you. You could go on a holiday for up to 90 days but could not work during that time.

• Advertisement

Okay, so my best option is to cancel my flight and go through their organisation?
    It's very expensive, and aimed more at big groups travelling to large cities... this isn't what I need
    I'm hoping that the job will get verified no worries, otherwise I have a few options lined up if it falls through

They aren't just aimed at big groups going to big cities - they cater to everybody.

J1s are very well known for being expensive - there isn't a way around it unfortunately. You can find your own job, but you have to provide the details to them so they can verify it and let the State Department know.

Thanks for the replies, it cleared up a few things for me.
    I'll get in contact with the offices and the embassy to see what their best suggestion is for me.

Thanks for the replies, it cleared up a few things for me.
    I'll get in contact with the offices and the embassy to see what their best suggestion is for me.

It has nothing to do with the embassy, you need one of the agencies to be your sponsor. That is it :).

Advertisement