Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does the owner of the car has to be present during NCT test?

Options
  • 30-11-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey there,
    I have 2 cars but they are registered on my mothers name. The log book is on her name.
    I have the NCT in a few days time and my mother cannot attend as she's out of the country at the moment.

Do they check your name and does it has the be the same as on the log book?
    Ill be going on my own
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Don't think so? There is a service in Dublin that offers to pick up your car and bring it to the NCT centre and all for you, so that would suggest it's not needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

No it doesn't have to be the registered owner.
    They may ask for ID before issuing the cert, not sure why, but you don't have to be the owner.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nope, i've done it for the wife's car loads of time. Just bring id

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

You have to present a valid drivers license. Your name doesnt have to be on the log book.
    I bring my wife's car for its NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Owner doesn't need to be present but person presenting the car needs either a passport or driving licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No it doesn't have to be the registered owner.
    They may ask for ID before issuing the cert, not sure why, but you don't have to be the owner.

They always ask for ID from the person presenting the car, I've never heard them ask for the VLC which is also supposed to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Del2005 wrote: »
    They always ask for ID from the person presenting the car, I've never heard them ask for the VLC which is also supposed to be checked.

I've always been asked for the VLC and never been asked for ID.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I always bring logbook and ID. Usually get asked for ID if the car is not mine and in a female name. Any male name they must assume it's me but they never bother with logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

tossy wrote: »
    I've always been asked for the VLC and never been asked for ID.

My local center want both, without exception. They will withhold the cert unless you can produce them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

rex-x wrote: »
    My local center want both, without exception. They will withhold the cert unless you can produce them

Aren't they meant to ask before the test even starts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

tossy wrote: »
    Aren't they meant to ask before the test even starts ?

Yes but they still do the test, they just tell you they cant give you the cert until you can produce them. Its "meant" to be the standard procedue

Advertisement