Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency salary question

Options
  • 30-11-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm working as a contractor for the first time. My contract was extended a couple of months ago and at the time the agent rang me and asked if I wanted to request a salary increase - I said yes and asked for x. He said he'd discuss with the client and asked me what the lowest I would accept was. I said half of x. He then came back and said they'd give me half of x would increase it to x at the next extension. I since found out that the increase was offered by my manager! (My manager told me) so the negotiations were fake. I also know how much the increase was and am only getting a fraction of it. I know they take their cut but I am getting less than 1/3 of the increase. Do I have the right to ask the agency what they are being paid? i want to ask for more but not sure how to approach it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Who pays you, the agency or the client?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Who pays you, the agency or the client?

The agent pays me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Do I have the right to ask the agency what they are being paid?

Absolutely you have the right to ask. Equally, the agency have the right not to answer.
    i want to ask for more but not sure how to approach it

As you've already accepted their offer it's going to be more difficult. The agency has no real incentive to increase their offer to you. That said, there's nothing to stop you trying. They may agree if they think there's a chance of you walking because you feel you're not getting paid the current market rate.

What's in your contract regarding end-dates and notice periods (from you)?

Extra tip: stop thinking that the agency are taking a cut from your money. The agency make an offer, you decide whether to accept that offer or not. Too many new contractors have driven themselves demented at the thought of an agency making a living from 'their money'.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Graham wrote: »
    Absolutely you have the right to ask. Equally, the agency have the right not to answer.

As you've already accepted their offer it's going to be more difficult. The agency has no real incentive to increase their offer to you. That said, there's nothing to stop you trying. They may agree if they think there's a chance of you walking because you feel you're not getting paid the current market rate.

What's in your contract regarding end-dates and notice periods (from you)?

Extra tip: stop thinking that the agency are taking a cut from your money. The agency make an offer, you decide whether to accept that offer or not. Too many new contractors have driven themselves demented at the thought of an agency making a living from 'their money'.

It's a months notice and yes i know I agreed a rate with them. I won't be so soft with negotiations the next tome. What annoys me is the whole pretence around negotiating a pay increase when the company had offered it but you live and learn. Thanks for the tips

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You'll get better at the negotiations with practice.

Thanks for the offer of an extension, it's a great company/role/project but as you're aware the markets fairly buoyant at the moment. I'd love to accept but I'm getting approaches that suggest the market rate for this role is currently €xxx so would you approach the client and put this figure to them.

Don't be pressured to accept an offer quickly.
    Do expect to get the line 'we need an answer by zzzzz'. Take a few days anyway.

Naturally all of the above assumes you're not bluffing, that you would like to accept, you would be prepared to walk and you do know the market rate.

No harm talking to a few agencies in the weeks leading up to renewal either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement