Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Invoice - Private Purchase

• 30-11-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a piece of equipment for my company from a private individual.

Seller is not a business and thus will not issue a receipt. Can I write a cheque for this and record it as an asset purchase for the company?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Of course you can. Although the fact that the seller is not in business is not a genuine reason for not issuing a receipt.
    He obviously cannot issue a VAT invoice, but he should give you something showing what he sold you, his name and address, the date, and the price.

If he continues to refuse to issue a receipt, have you considered that the equipment might not be his to sell.....or that it might be stolen?

If you are satisfied that it isn't stolen or otherwise illegal to buy, then make sure you keep a note of his name and address. If he won't give his address or he won't meet you there, then it's time that you put 2 and 2 together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

No its a genuine sale alright, but being sold for "cash". Again, can't see I am doing anything wrong by just making a note of where I got it and writing a cheque for it.

Jonny303 wrote: »
    No its a genuine sale alright, but being sold for "cash". Again, can't see I am doing anything wrong by just making a note of where I got it and writing a cheque for it.

The problem is that you could write a cheque for whatever amount you want. The receipt, no matter how "flimsy" gives you proof of purchase.

In the event of a Revenue Audit, the auditor may wish to see proof of purchase if you're claiming capital allowances on the equipment, particularly if it's a large item. If it's not an expensive item, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unless the seller is making a profit on the sale, then the notion of selling for cash doesn't really matter.

What level of price are we talking about - €1k, €5k, €10k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

• Advertisement

If you give the seller a cheque with his name as the payee and cross it, marking the crossing "Account Payee Only", then that guarantees that he can only lodge it to his own account.

Still...somebody selling some machinery for €8k and refusing to give a receipt/invoice sounds suspicious to me.

Are you getting a really good deal? If something seems too good to be true, then it probably is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

keep a copy of the advertisement for sale, showing details like model no, price contact details etc

keep a copy of emails to seller and a copy of cheque/draft to pay for the item

You should be well covered then.

If its a vehicle you will have log book etc.

Advertisement