Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss shooters here? Perhaps some good news...

Options
  • 30-11-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

Mornin' all. I hope I might be forgiven for posting something here that has nothing to do with shooting modern stuff, but OTOH, it IS a shooting forum and I know that I share an interest with some of your here whose interests lie in shooting older guns.

The best of them all, IMO, are the Swiss straight-pulls of any era, and that era lasted from 1889 to 1957, and continues wherever Swiss Schtuff is spoken an shot. Currently the only ammunition available is the Prvi Partizan stuff - equal in weight but slower in velocity, and pretty thin on the ground everywhere.

Soooooooooooo, if you shoot any kind of a K11, IG1900 or K31, there might be some good news on the horizon with regard to ammunition.

New "GP11" production announced by RUAG

Just received an essay from the Swiss firearms periodical "Schweizer Waffen-Magazin" (regrettably only available in German language), telling that due to still great demand RUAG Ammotec will continue GP11 production for the sports shooter market at a rate of 20 million rounds per year. This new-production cartridge is as close as possible modelled along the old, original GP11. Minor differences noted in that essay are:

- bullet is 0.2 mm shorter and has a tail shaped according to the match bullets' tail.

- alloy used for the cases is now CuZn30 instead of CuZn28 used with the original GP11.

- ignition holes are stamped instead of drilled.

- powder (made at Wimmis) is a new one, fulfilling the European REACH chemical regulations, but composed to duplicate the old powder's characteristics as close as possible.

Since the "new" round is also intended for use at military shooting contests, hardness of the bullet's jacket is the same as with the original GP11 (available civilian match bullets usually have softer jackets).

As I noted, it might happen here, and would be great news for the many Swiss shooters in UK and RoI.

I'll be writing to RUAG Ammotec [UK] to see what, if anything, is going to happen here.

Just don't hold your breath...

tac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I really fancied a k31, but the complete lack of reasonably priced range fodder put me off buying one. That might change if this ruag becomes commonly available for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

We can but hope, gunny. The guy over here who used to sell the stuff stiffed us all with a 45% price hike, AFTER five of us had driven over a hundred miles to collect it. With us all having the maximum allowance of 800 rounds each, that was a considerable amount of £££ that he didn't get especially at his then new price of £63/C.

So most everybody who shoots Swiss here in mainland UK has to reload, or not shoot at all.

The funny thing is that both Canada AND the US are presently awash with the stuff, and haven't seen so much around since the early 90's.

tac

Advertisement