Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo fuel prices why so expensive

Options
  • 30-11-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Been bugging me alot recently why is petrol/Diesel prices so expensive in sligo town compared to other neighbouring areas.and the stations on the bundoran road seem.the worst offenders.i know there has been suggestions of price fixing in the past.
    But I passed through kinlough over the weekend and the small petrol station was 4 cent a litre cheaper that the bundoran road outlets and they are I'm Sure selling a bigger bulk of fuel hence getting better wholesale prices.
    Something not right to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

sligono1 wrote: »
    Been bugging me alot recently why is petrol/Diesel prices so expensive in sligo town compared to other neighbouring areas.and the stations on the bundoran road seem.the worst offenders.i know there has been suggestions of price fixing in the past.
    But I passed through kinlough over the weekend and the small petrol station was 4 cent a litre cheaper that the bundoran road outlets and they are I'm Sure selling a bigger bulk of fuel hence getting better wholesale prices.
    Something not right to me.

Nothing new there tbh. If you want cheaper fuel go to the depot's on the quays or to the 24hour or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Like everything else in the country, its a cartel. They all agree a price..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The small one in Kinlough would not have near the same over heads compared to the Bundoran road outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Like everything else in the country, its a cartel. They all agree a price..

I read an article a couple of months ago which said that the profit on a litre of diesel is about 5c for a filling station after distributor costs and vat are deducted from the price paid by the customer. I think Revenue are the big winners here.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The small one in Kinlough would not have near the same over heads compared to the Bundoran road outlets.

By comparison, the bundoran road outlets would have a higher turnover so its swings and roundabouts really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

By comparison, the bundoran road outlets would have a higher turnover so its swings and roundabouts really
    Not necessarily true, the swings and roundabouts need to be equal relative to each other. But maybe you have access to their accounts ....?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

petrol 1.26L in Donegal town today

red sean wrote: »
    Not necessarily true, the swings and roundabouts need to be equal relative to each other. But maybe you have access to their accounts ....?

I do yeah....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Mint Sauce wrote: »

But I would not have the same footfall no where near it I was just making an example of kinlough but you go up the road to Carrick on shannon and all stations are cheaper.
    But my point which I think is been over looked is continously sligo town is always on the top end of the prices country wide.

sligono1 wrote: »
    But I would not have the same footfall no where near it I was just making an example of kinlough but you go up the road to Carrick on shannon and all stations are cheaper.
    But my point which I think is been over looked is continously sligo town is always on the top end of the prices country wide.

Have you been to dublin lately?

Also, anywhere in the vicinity of an airport will have higher fuel prices since they will catch the holidaymakers when they are returning their hire cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Diesel 117.9 today in Sligo.

Petrol 129.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Up again, even on Fuel card it is 127.39 and 117.55

Petrol 134.8, diesel 125.8 in Ballisodare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It can be hard to compare prices when you consider the fact that different filling stations are using different distributors.

Include that with the suspicions that some stations in Sligo and surrounds may have been using washed fuel, which may mean cheaper in the short term but detrimental to your engine in the long run.

I usually get my fuel from a station I trust, and that I know they are using a recognised distributor, I might pay a few cent extra, but that's offset by walking and cycling where I can to cut down on fuel consumption.

Some maths:
    Assuming you get 35mpg = 8l/100km (about avg for a modern petrol in mixed town/open road driving)
    For petrol at 1.30/l you would get 15.38l = 192.25km to €20
    For petrol at 1.28/l you would get 15.63l = 195.66km to €20
    If you put 20 quid in a week, over one year you would travel a further 177km and the cheaper rate, saving under €20, you will have probably spent a lot more over the course of the year doing laps of wine street car park because you're not bothered to park further out of town and walk down in the rain.

Of course it people doing a lot higher mileage may see the benefits, but for the most people I think it wouldn't be worth it

Someone may want to sanity check my figures, I think they're correct - But lot's of assumptions are made on those, it reflects my mileage and consumption of both my petrol cars.

You idea of cheaper fuel been washed is a bit off the wall there.there are genuine fuel outlets selling honest fuel just cheaper than our town...but honestly I'd like to stick to the topic of the thread I started not your daily fuel use habits.
    But fair play you have it worked out to a t.

Buford I have been to Dublin recently and here we all.know fuel beside the sir ports and ferry ports are more expensive that's not an argument even remotely useful to the topic in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Petrol in Tubber can be got for 128 a liter which is a full 6 cent cheaper than the dearest Sligo town station I noticed.

Also worth noting that the last time I ordered home heating oil I called everywhere around Sligo and the most expensive was a full €40 cheaper than the cheapest for 500lts. I got mine from Boyle with the Sligo town retailers being the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

1,000 L kero 598 in Jones Oil about three weeks ago.

568 with loyalty card, 30 euro off.

Advertisement