Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Camera system without broadband

Options
  • 30-11-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at setting up a camera for somebody who doesn't have broadband (which probably won't be an option in the near future).

I was thinking of something like a camera covering the front porch with motion detection, saving the clips on a NAS (I've an old media centre I'm not using I considering trying). So I'd just need the camera and a router.

The other side of it is I'd need to be able to review and delete the recordings later on a tablet or possibly phone (both probably iOS), so I'd need either something running on the media centre that works well in a mobile browser, or ideally an app that will pull stuff off the NAS and present it in an easily maintainable layout.

Sorry if this is a bit vague. It seems like something that should be straightforward enough but I'm not really sure what I should be googling.

Suggestion appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi

I have a similar setup. I have one camera next front door and One at the back door

You will need a POE Router (small D-Link I use) it has 4 POE (power over Ethernet) & 4 normal network connection

You also need min CAT5e or CAT6 Cable to Connect the cameras to the POE hub

You will need to access the IP camera and setup static IP's on each camera.

Nas Drive connected to you Router (I bought a 4 TB off Adverts for about 100 Euros)

Software I use BlueIris is about 50 Dollars to manage your cameras (I use Lenovo T500 Laptop to run BlueIris software)

Cameras I use Dome HIKVision 3mp with a fixed lens 4mm there about 150 Euros each.

Hope that helps

Advertisement