Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling events for Charities / Non-profits

Options
  • 30-11-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

What is the best way to organise a Cycle Event for a Charity :
    Is it :
    - Pre-register for the event - pay a entrancded fee.
    - Have each participant manage a fundraising page (card / online).

I am interested in how successful either of the above have been.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I think it depends on the type of event you are considering. If it's a one-day event like a sportif and you are likely to attract a few hundred participants, a single registration fee is probably the simplest and most effective. If it's a multi-day event such as Mizen to Malin with fewer participants, it would make sense for participants to raise funding through sponsorship. If you do go the latter route, you should allow for the fact that online fundraising sites such as Everydayhero (formerly MyCharity) deduct about 6% of the amount contributed through their sites.

There have been other threads here dealing with the practicalities of arranging events such as routes, marshalling and insurance. Involvement of a Cycling Ireland affiliated club at an early stage would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have organised cycles using the 2 options.
    A fee on the day was the preferred option, as most people felt the sponsorship card is flogged to death by all charities.
    Oh , and most importantly... DELEGATE !!!
    and if you can get a CI affiliated Club to put their name/allow you to use them , its much easier (insurance etc)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

What is the best way to organise a Cycle Event for a Charity :
    Is it :
    - Pre-register for the event - pay a entrance fee.
    - Have each participant manage a fundraising page (card / online).

I like the preregistration option with an Event Registration System.
    I have used iRegister.
    It takes the money out of the system on the day.
    Also, less danger of people not turning up is the day is not favourable.

Advertisement