Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of Postage

Options
  • 30-11-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi All,

I recently purchased some cosmetic items online that weren't as described. I contacted the store and advised them that I was unhappy and they told me no problem, just to return using the prepaid postage label.
    So I sent the item back, and it went out through my company post. All going well so far.
    The problem now is that the store have not received the returned item in their warehouse and are refusing to refund me without a proof of postage.
    I've gotten a proof of postage once before for a prepaid label when the postmistress literally stamped a page and wrote the delivery address on it. That was it - and of course there was no tracking because I havent paid for shipping. So in essence, it doesnt really prove anything.

On this occasion I didnt go to the post office as I just sent it through the mailroom of my job so do you think that I have to lie to the loss of this or is there any way around it. I could really do with this EUR150 back in time for Christmas :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

aisleseat wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently purchased some cosmetic items online that weren't as described. I contacted the store and advised them that I was unhappy and they told me no problem, just to return using the prepaid postage label.
    So I sent the item back, and it went out through my company post. All going well so far.
    The problem now is that the store have not received the returned item in their warehouse and are refusing to refund me without a proof of postage.
    I've gotten a proof of postage once before for a prepaid label when the postmistress literally stamped a page and wrote the delivery address on it. That was it - and of course there was no tracking because I havent paid for shipping. So in essence, it doesnt really prove anything.

On this occasion I didnt go to the post office as I just sent it through the mailroom of my job so do you think that I have to lie to the loss of this or is there any way around it. I could really do with this EUR150 back in time for Christmas :-(

I think best solution here is to raise a case with either Paypal or if you paid via card raise it with Visa/Mastercard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi All,

It proves an item addressed to a recipient entered the postal system at that point in time, and the post office acknowledges it. Without that much, for all the company knows you could still have all the goods.

It's hardly an unfair demand from the company tbh, so yes, you may have to swallow the loss in this case.

I think best solution here is to raise a case with either Paypal or if you paid via card raise it with Visa/Mastercard

It would be doubtful a charge back would be successful in this case, as the company can quite legitimately claim they are willing to refund upon the successful return of the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

[QUOTE=BuffyBot

It would be doubtful a charge back would be successful in this case, as the company can quite legitimately claim they are willing to refund upon the successful return of the goods.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree but my point was at this stage it will just be OP saying I sent it back and them saying I never got it back where at the very least if a case is opened it might come down to something like has the company a bad history say with Paypal which might work in the OP's favour

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

I see your point Buffy ... it's a bloody pain though as I saw the post man collect it from our office on the day itself. An expensive lesson learned
    I was too complacent with the damn prepaid label

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Yes, you are going to have to suck this one up.

Registered post is not overly expensive these days. I sent a small package, value €100, to Denmark this morning with An Post registered post, track and trace. Cost was just €9.80.

Of course there is a small chance that the package will re-appear. Especially if sent to a far away country or a country with a slow mail system (France and Italy for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Do you have a copy of the label by any chance, or can they resend you a copy which would've come with your invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Bit of an awkward one this I would have thought.

Had the op arranged untracked shipping themselves and it had gotten lost it would definitely be a case of tough, you should have registered. But they didn't, the retailer provided the shipping with a service they saw fit to use for returns.
    Was the OP advised to get some proof of postage? It's not necessarily something Joe Average would think to do unless they'd been caught put before. If not it could be argued that they did everything in accordance with the returns procedure as laid out...

I'd be inclined to keep at them for a bit and see if ye can reach some accommodation.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Do you have a copy of the label by any chance, or can they resend you a copy which would've come with your invoice
    I don't, but I could certainly request it. The prepaid label is barcoded right ... which would have to be scanned somewhere. Is this your thinking ?

Treadhead wrote: »
    Bit of an awkward one this I would have thought.

Had the op arranged untracked shipping themselves and it had gotten lost it would definitely be a case of tough,  you should have registered. But they didn't,  the retailer provided the shipping with a service they saw fit to use for returns.  
    Was the OP advised to get some proof of postage? It's not necessarily something Joe Average would think to do unless they'd been caught put before. If not it could be argued that they did everything in accordance with the returns procedure as laid out...

I'd be inclined to keep at them for a bit and see if ye can reach some accommodation.
    When I contacted them about the incorrect item they advised "If you would like a full refund on the items, please send them back to us and we will process that for you"
    So I saw the prepaid label, easy peasy, peeled it off, stuck it back on the parcel and brought it to our admin office.
    Also, I understand that it is pretty reasonable to send an item back now by registered post but when I had the prepaid label I figured that would do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When I contacted them about the incorrect item they advised "If you would like a full refund on the items, please send them back to us and we will process that for you"
    So I saw the prepaid label, easy peasy, peeled it off, stuck it back on the parcel and brought it to our admin office.
    Also, I understand that it is pretty reasonable to send an item back now by registered post but when I had the prepaid label I figured that would do the job.

No need for registered post on returns but a proof of postage is a must. Any post office just prints one off in 2seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Where is the company based?

If UK, then prepaid postage may have been UK only (so many UK companies think Republic of Ireland is same postage system)

That would mean it had no effective postage and would be returned to you if an post have return details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Did you put a return (senders) address on the envelope ?
    If so and it is a pre paid issue with the envelope only working in UK then your package will eventually be returned to you but it may well take a month to 6 weeks. The An Post Returned Letter Branch section is located in Limerick so it may well be worth giving them a ring. You will probably have to go through An Post Customer Services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I don't, but I could certainly request it. The prepaid label is barcoded right ... which would have to be scanned somewhere. Is this your thinking ?

yeah like the post office would be charging the company for something they never received. youd imagine it'd be in their interest to have a copy of it

Advertisement