Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCB statement

Options
  • 30-11-2016 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I know motor insurers are always issuing NCB statements by the end of policy term - during renewal time.

Can policy holder request NCB statement at anytime during the policy period? |(f.e. mid policy)
    Is insurer obliged to issue that, and would there normally be any cost associated with issuing one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know as I have never had to do this, but do update us after you have spoken to your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

My experience:

Ive been insured with one of the main providers since June - carried full (6 year +) NCB into that policy - when I got a classic policy I was required to furnish my current cert of no claims,

I requested this from the insurer but was denied it and only issued a cover note showing that I was insured since June and had no claims since then. The reason that they would not issue a certificate of NCB is because I have not been insured with them for a full year, neither would they issue a letter stating the terms of which I am covered - i.e. under a full no claims discount.

To satisfy my classic insurer I then had to combine the cover letter from current insurer with the no claims letter from previous insurer - along with copies of insurance disc and certificate for both the current policy - and previous expired policy.

So to answer your question - who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yeah its pretty standard.

However each insurer may have different charges - some none, some may be €20 etc.

The insurer you mentioned is correct. They issue what they have for you so far on cover, you combine with the rest to show a continuous claims free period and produce it. Little bit more work alright, but obviously worth it when applying for other insurers - i.e. your classic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So just to update.

I contacted both mine and my wife's insurers (2 separate policies/insurers) and requested those statements.
    Both insurers said there was no problem, that it will be sent in the post tomorrow, and none charged a penny for it.

Both arrived within 3 days.
    Both very similar - state amount of NCB years, how many years policy was in force, and list all the claims (excluding windscreen claims). Both also contain a statement saying that policy is still in force and state expiry date.

I must say I didn't expect it to be as easy as it was.

Advertisement