Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claims

Options
  • 30-11-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys quick question,

I was in a bit of a RTC there today on the motorway. I was in the overtaking lane and this guy pulled out on top of me with no indicators etc and then he had to slam on the brakes, I had no time to react and ended up clipping his back bumper. We pulled in and looked at both cars, the car I was driving was broke up on the drivers side front and his car had a crack on the back left of the bumper. Even though I feel as though I was not at fault I offered to pay for his bumper. The guy was happy with this and we both went our separate ways.
    He called me tonight to say that there was a lot of damage inside the boot and that 'they' were going to claim.
    My problem is that the car I was driving was my sisters and because i was driving it with third party extension, but i was unaware that because it had no nct I was not covered to drive it. So technically I clipped the guy with no insurance. Believe me if I had of know this i wouldn't have been driving the car.
    Also the car wasn't his either and he said the owners will be claiming for it. But there was no Guards called or anything and we both left the scene.
    What you guys think might happen.?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NCT won't matter, your policy will cover his damage regardless of NCT status on the car you were driving. They may look for the money back from you at a later date though. It's at times like this a dash cam is essential, if he pulled out in front of you he is to blame. Was there any witnesses you could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Irishlad765

Thanks for your reply

Are you sure about that because as far as I'm aware my insurance is null in void if the car I'm driving on third party extension has not got tax or nct.? Also I wouldn't mind I have pics of both cars and where the impact was and honestly his boot wasn't touched just a small crack on the bumper.
    And yeah I was talking to a guard I know today about it and he said to me I could be 'done' for dangerous driving because the car had no nct and because I hit him. But I'm not sure I can because the guards were not called, no other witnesses involved and once it happened he came to my car and said he was sorry and that it was his fault there was nothing I could do and then we agreed on payment for the bumper and left the scene so I don't know if I can be held liable then.
    I have no experience with this sort of stuff hence why I am asking for advice

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks for your reply

Are you sure about that because as far as I'm aware my insurance is null in void if the car I'm driving on third party extension has not got tax or nct.? Also I wouldn't mind I have pics of both cars and where the impact was and honestly his boot wasn't touched just a small crack on the bumper.
    And yeah I was talking to a guard I know today about it and he said to me I could be 'done' for dangerous driving because the car had no nct and because I hit him. But I'm not sure I can because the guards were not called, no other witnesses involved and once it happened he came to my car and said he was sorry and that it was his fault there was nothing I could do and then we agreed on payment for the bumper and left the scene so I don't know if I can be held liable then.

Thanks again

A third party claim will always be paid.

You could crash into someone driving a car with no NCT, tax, and be out of your mind on coke and alcohol and they will still have to pay a third party claim.

They would be within their rights to pursue you for recovery of any outlay but in reality, I've never seen this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks for your reply

Thanks again

Your 3rd party cover remains, even if you were drunk or drug driving a car with no NCT or tax they would still cover the third party damage, however as you would be breaking the terms of the policy they could then seek all this money back from you.

With damage to cars what can look like a small dent on the bumper can run in to thousands very quickly when the damage is assessed.

Was the car you were in dangerous condition like bald tyres, non working lights etc? How long was NCT out? When insurer is involved damage to both cars will be assessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks for your reply

Thanks again

Also, this sounds like a complete try on.

Id imagine someone got into his ear about a nice compo payment.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a whiplash claim too tbh.

Contact your insurer asap, give them all details, advise them he accepted liability at the scene and have no further dealings with him directly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

A third party claim will always be paid.

You could crash into someone driving a car with no NCT, tax, and be out of your mind on coke and alcohol and they will still have to pay a third party claim.

They would be within their rights to pursue you for recovery of any outlay but in reality, I've never seen this happen.

Would it be common now for insurers to cancel a person's insurance as an outcome of these minor and probably innocent transgressions of the wildly varying terms and conditions attached to cover in terms of expired licence, tax, nct, presence/absence of a padre pio sticker?

Thereby condemning the person to a lifetime of having to admit to having insurance refused/cancelled?

Also, there are other posters here from the industry who say that people are frequently hunted down to compensate insurers for these third party payouts that insurers are obliged to pay even if, for example, the person was driving with an expired licence (or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Side bar question.

Would the policy condition relating to currency of the NCT apply only to the OP's own car or does it apply to any vehicle being driven under the driving other cars extension ? If the latter that implies that you need to examine the NCT disc on any car you contemplate driving under a DOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

I was in a bit of a RTC there today on the motorway. I was in the overtaking lane and this guy pulled out on top of me with no indicators etc and then he had to slam on the brakes, I had no time to react and ended up clipping his back bumper. We pulled in and looked at both cars, the car I was driving was broke up on the drivers side front and his car had a crack on the back left of the bumper. Even though I feel as though I was not at fault I offered to pay for his bumper. The guy was happy with this and we both went our separate ways. He called me tonight to say that there was a lot of damage inside the boot and that 'they' were going to claim. My problem is that the car I was driving was my sisters and because i was driving it with third party extension, but i was unaware that because it had no nct I was not covered to drive it. So technically I clipped the guy with no insurance. Believe me if I had of know this i wouldn't have been driving the car. Also the car wasn't his either and he said the owners will be claiming for it. But there was no Guards called or anything and we both left the scene. What you guys think might happen.?

Why if he pulled out on top of you, did you offer to pay for his bumper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

OP do you have your own vehicle? If you do then the third party damages will follow your policy as long as you have driving of other cars on your own insurance.

As for the NCT this part is irrelevant as has been said already it does not nullify your insurance.

Why are you offering to pay for his repairs when you aren't even sure who is at fault? Witnesses are key to this case

An assessor will be needed to inspect both vehicles also.

Advertisement