Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulldog Brewer (All In One)

Options
  • 30-11-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So I took a plunge today and bought a Bulldog Brewer all in one system. I looks like it does a similar job to the Grainfather but I got mine (without chiller as I have one already) for €379.99. I heard there were a few electrical issues with Version 1 but they're on to V2 now. I was just wondering if any of you have used/heard of this system as there's not much info online yet.

I've also ordered a set of 3 mini kegs (Brewferm) with co2 cartridges as I have a pain in my a$$ bottling. I hear mixed things about how long beer keeps once it's tapped. Some say a few days, some say a few weeks so your experience/toughs on this would also be welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Friend of mine has one. It's a nice enough system, similar to the Grainfather as you said, but without some of the more integrated parts of the GF. If you've any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

feylya wrote: »
    Friend of mine has one. It's a nice enough system, similar to the Grainfather as you said, but without some of the more integrated parts of the GF. If you've any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Good to hear positive things about it. Like I said, felt like a bit of a gamble but if it's nearly as good at half the price I'll be chuffed!

I won't be giving it a whirl until Xmas as it's a present for myself but I'll be sure to post lots of pics and maybe a video of my first brew with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Rigardo wrote: »
    I won't be giving it a whirl until Xmas as it's a present for myself but I'll be sure to post lots of pics and maybe a video of my first brew with it.

I'm in a similar boat. I've bought it and am expecting delivery today. Were getting a few things done at home though so it'll be a few weeks before I get to use it.

Really looking forward to reading about other people's experiences with it in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lots of information on it here

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

loyatemu wrote: »
    lots of information on it here

Sorry for the late reply but great link. Don't know why I didn't come across it in my searches. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Rigardo wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply but great link. Don't know why I didn't come across it in my searches. Thanks again

no problem, consider joining the NHC too - it's always interesting to meet other brewers and see what they're doing, get feedback on your brews etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I love it, got one when HBW had them first.

Took a while to calibrate it, but think I'm there now.

took a good bit of time off my brew day too, which is a good bonus.

Up to strike temp in 20 mins or so, then up to boiling after the sparge in about 30mins.

The price differential to the Grainfather makes this worth getting for me, even without the Grainfather bells and whistles.

I particularly like that it can hold temps where you set them to be, allowing for multi step mashes and hops stands.

I find the Stainless Steel chiller less efficient than a copper chiller however.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

What did you have to do to calibrate it? What would you advise other users to do?

I have helped a friend do an all-grain brew before but haven't done it myself. Obviously it's a learning process but it'd be nice to have a decent first brew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

hooplah wrote: »
    What did you have to do to calibrate it?
    Do a few brews, see what kind of efficiency I was getting, see what kind of boil off I was getting, how much loss to grain etc
    hooplah wrote: »
    What would you advise other users to do?
    Brew beer. :pac:

I found a good starting point on the NHC forum and went from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Loving mine. Still ironing out a few details but so far so good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

Just bought one of these yesterday from Homebrewwest, they had dropped the price last month for the new V3 version (basically just the V2 with a new pump I think) to €399 from €440, and with the EASTER12 promo it knocked off another 12% bringing it down to approx €350, so I had to get it.

It hasn't arrived just yet, but I will update you all with my first brew.

Advertisement