Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build for 1000 - 1200

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

alright, so I'm thinking of this:
    Intel BX80684I58600K 8th Gen Core i5-8600K Processor
    ASRock Z370 Pro4 or Extreme4
    V Series F4-3000C15D-16GVR 16 GB memoria RAM de skill Ripjaws (8 gbx2) Kit de memoria DDR4 3000 mhz C15 1,35 V

I have hyper evo 212 somewhere in the wardrobe, so that should keep me sorted for the first overclock I may aim at (4.5 - 4.7).
    From what I've read, Pro4 should be fine for this kind of OC, but I'll keep an eye on the prices for Extreme4.
    As for RAM, I'm not sure. The prices are a bit mental, or is it just me? I shouldn't go below 3000 I guess.

any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Any RAM above DDR4-2666

But yes, prices are mental.
    I got lucky and got a DDR4-3000 kit for €180.

UPS proceeded to lose the first package.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

hey guys, I'm back with some more questions.
    so what I got was i5-8600k, MSI Z370 SLI PLUS and Corsair DDR4 3000 ram (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15).
    I've reintalled Win10 completely on a formatted drive, so all my drivers are fresh and up-to-date.
    My CPU is at stock settings, and XMP enabled in bios for RAM. The system has been stable for the past 2-3 weeks (I also ran a few prime95 tests together with 3dmark benches, and one demanding game, all good), and yesterday I got BSOD with dump mentioning memory_management and hardware.sys.

I got memtest86 and ran one pass yesterday (with XMP), and it gave me 65 errors.
    I then ran a test without XMP for the whole night (4 passes), and it showed 0 errors.
    I think I'm going to run another one with XMP tonight, just to double check the results.

but anyway, are any memtest errors a sign of automatic RMA for you guys?

or can it be that XMP is figured incorrectly, and I should play around with it a bit?
    I've checked it, and it was 15-17-17-35 with 1.35v as per what internet confirmed, too.

I also don't really want to stay on default 2133, as it's not what I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

XVII wrote: »
    hey guys, I'm back with some more questions.
    so what I got was i5-8600k, MSI Z370 SLI PLUS and Corsair DDR4 3000 ram (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15).
    I've reintalled Win10 completely on a formatted drive, so all my drivers are fresh and up-to-date.
    My CPU is at stock settings, and XMP enabled in bios for RAM. The system has been stable for the past 2-3 weeks (I also ran a few prime95 tests together with 3dmark benches, and one demanding game, all good), and yesterday I got BSOD with dump mentioning memory_management and hardware.sys.

I got memtest86 and ran one pass yesterday (with XMP), and it gave me 65 errors.
    I then ran a test without XMP for the whole night (4 passes), and it showed 0 errors.
    I think I'm going to run another one with XMP tonight, just to double check the results.

but anyway, are any memtest errors a sign of automatic RMA for you guys?

or can it be that XMP is figured incorrectly, and I should play around with it a bit?
    I've checked it, and it was 15-17-17-35 with 1.35v as per what internet confirmed, too.

I also don't really want to stay on default 2133, as it's not what I paid for.

Something that doesn't come up much when you read reviews, is that the memory controller is on the CPU. And it can be pot luck for some CPU's to hit certain speeds sometimes, especially combined with a OC themselves. You would see this a lot with the extreme OC'ers who would look for "good" chips.

I would suggest copying the XMP settings and scaling back to see where the memory fails. Might be pretty close to rated speeds.

Advertisement