Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health insurance renewal-where to shop around?

• 30-11-2016 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions on where to go for health insurance? My renewal has gone up a lot. About 300euro, is there any good offers at the moment?

Went to bonkers and they want 125euro to do the work for me, has anyone tried that? Its a big fee to be charging.

What are all the companies available for health insurance now?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Any suggestions on where to go for health insurance? My renewal has gone up a lot. About 300euro, is there any good offers at the moment?

Went to bonkers and they want 125euro to do the work for me, has anyone tried that? Its a big fee to be charging.

What plan are you currently on, is it just you or are other family members on your plan and how much would you be happy to be paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Try Health Insurance AUthority website for comparison tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find corn market to be great. Give them a call cornmarket.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Try Health Insurance AUthority website for comparison tool

Thats what I was looking for , thanks. And any other good suggestions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Quackster wrote: »
    What plan are you currently on, is it just you or are other family members on your plan and how much would you be happy to be paying?
    I would be happy paying the same as i did last year, with prob the same cover. Some LAYA 250 plan. An extra 300 euro, i dont think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Thats what I was looking for , thanks. And any other good suggestions!

It depends in what members you want to insure child/adults

Laya have or going to have half price kids

But whatever you do whether downgrade with current company or switch to another make sure you know exactly what each plan offers.

Usually health insurers offer similar plans but not extact plans of competitors..don't find out the hard way you aren't covered any more in x hospital or you now have to pay x amount excess etc

Also bear in mind if you downgrade and later upgrade you will be subject to an upgrade period for any existing illness in the.past 6 months ( that's a very simplified version of it tbh)

Health insurance is a complicated and costly thing in comparison to car/house insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

I am in the same position as yourself and am considering using Bonkers , I have VHI for many years and their renewal quote has jumped considerably. I rang VHI and was told I have a cooling off period of 14 days after my renewal date. Heard a guy on rte radio 1 say considerable savings are to be made by shopping around . I looked at the health comparison website and its quotes are very complex and would take a considerable time to trawl through properly

robinwing wrote: »
    I am in the same position as yourself and am considering using Bonkers , I have VHI for many years and their renewal quote has jumped considerably. I rang VHI and was told I have a cooling off period of 14 days after my renewal date. Heard a guy on rte radio 1 say considerable savings are to be made by shopping around . I looked at the health comparison website and its quotes are very complex and would take a considerable time to trawl through properly

What plan are you currently on with VHI?

If you're currently on a plan that costs €1,000 and upwards, the best value plan on the market right now is Laya Simplicity @ €1,087.28. It's better than many plans twice its price.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?plan_ids=656|&source=plans

Quackster wrote: »
    What plan are you currently on with VHI?

If you're currently on a plan that costs €1,000 and upwards, the best value plan on the market right now is Laya Simplicity @ €1,087.28. It's better than many plans twice its price.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?plan_ids=656|&source=plans

Hi , Thanks for answering , I am on teachers plan select

Here's a comparison of the two: www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?plan_ids=264|656&source=plans

As you can see, Laya Simplicity is €282.92 cheaper than VHI Teachers Plan Select.

Also, Simplicity covers you for a private room in a private hospital whereas Teachers Plan Select only covers you up to the semi-private room rate.

Importantly, Simplicity provides FULL cover for orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures whereas Teachers Plan Select only provides 80% cover.

Simplicity also has a lower private day-case excess (€50 versus €125) and private in-patient excess (€100 versus €125).

Simplicity also has superior outpatient cover including 50% refund of GP and dental visits (subject to annual €100 excess) not available on Teachers Plan Select.

• Advertisement

Very Many Thanks Quackster , very much appreciated

Advertisement