Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spying on workers

Options
  • 30-11-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am new here. I just want to know if its right for my manager to be checking on CCTV all the time to harass the staffs. I work as a security and there is a CCTV in control room. But all the time the manager seat in his office to review the CCTV all the time to punish anyone he don't like. Please I will like to know my right in this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I would expect that it is the job of the person in the control room to watch the CCTV feeds, not much point in having someone in the room if they are not doing so.

Useful Link on Surveillance in the workplace.

However, this may not apply to you as the service that is being supplied is security and the surveillance itself would likely be considered part of that service. As a security operator, I feel that it would be part of your normal job conditions.

Data Protection

• What action are the supervisor punishing you for?
    • How is teh supervisor being unfair are others not being punished for the same actions?

Your employer probably had a justifiable need for the CCTV as part of the service they provide. However, there may be issues with their use of the system to discipline you and they may not be fair with their approach.

A little more information would help with a response.

Advertisement