Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridged second router requires reboot after a few hours

• 30-11-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive recently bridged a second router to my primary router and have followed the generally accepted criteria to achieve this(DHCP and DNS on primary router only, no security on both devices etc) Im quite happy with the performance of both routers and everything functions as it should but after a few hours,both routers wont allow any device to connect, instead being stuck in a continuous cycle of ip address/authentication problems. If i turn the bridged second router off the primary router reverts to functioning normally on its own and when I turn the bridged second router back on it reverts to normal service. I presume its an issue with the second router. Ive researched similar threads from people with same issue but no joy. Some speculate its a cache overload? Ive assigned static ip addresses for every device on network too.Any assistance is welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It might help if you provided the make and models of the routers and what ISP you are with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

It might help if you provided the make and models of the routers and what ISP you are with.

Primary router is a TP Link MR3420, an ethernet cable runs from this to the bridged router downstairs, a Zyxel p-660hw-t1-v3 which produces wifi signal and is cabled to the sky + box. I have password security switched off on both routers and everything worked fine with both networks working in unision under the same SSID name, switching to stronger network depending on location in house. After a while though the zyxel router has authentication problems when trying to connect to it with any device, thus preventing connection to other router also. A simple reboot solves this problem but problem returns hours later. I have DHCP switched off on the Zyxel and it is in bridge mode. I have set static ip addresses for all the devices connecting within the DHCP pool.

Advertisement