Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about Giant Contend

Options
  • 30-11-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello guys,

I'm looking to buy a new bike and cycle to work. The distance is not small (Tallaght - City center), so the bike have to be solid.
    What do you think about the Giant Contend 1 and 2, what is the main difference between these variants and would you recommend me buying any of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The difference, strictly speaking, is the drivetrain. The 2 is entry level Claris, while the 1 is a mid/entry level Sora.

Of the two, I'd have the Sora, but if you shop around, you can get the same or better for less. I'm sure someone will give specific recommendations for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As per robyn's post - the main difference is the groupset - Claris vs Sora. Claris is 16 speed and Sora is 18 speed. The Contend 1 has a Shimano Sora crankset and bottom bracket whereas the Contend 2 has an FSA crankset and bottom bracket. Nothing wrong with either, tbh.

So really, the difference is simply down to the 16 vs 18 speed and the colour scheme. If it was me, I'd see what the best deal I could get on the Contend 1 if your budget can stretch but you won't be disappointed with either.

Advertisement