Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for something a mod just did in post I was answering!

Options
  • 30-11-2016 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

This is exceedingly obvious bias from ancapailldorcha.
    Dear osmiumartist,

You have been banned from Politics for five days for personal abuse.

This site is for civil discussion and so we don't allow discussion to descend into name calling and petty abuse.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha

Moderator Note

Calling another poster a liar.

Your post:
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    There's really nothing as futile as arguing with someone who just makes stuff up as they go along.
    Oh really?
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't think too many black people and gays consider the Donald a champion of their rights.
    You're denying you said that? We can all just scroll up and see it! You had noticed people can read your posts and see you for an obvious liar?
    No point in arguing with people who think they are clever enough to get away with that garbage.
    If you look at the thread, OscarBravo lost the rag totally and then lied about what he said, and then called me a liar.
    I then call him a liar (this is 100% true and is obvious from the thread) and I get a 5 day ban? Huh? Now there's no need to cast the net too far to guess who reported me... the guy who had just called me a liar in his very preceding post. Will he get a 5 day ban? Of course not, because this isn't an issue worthy of 5 day bans.
    Or is it but only I seem to be banned when we both did exactly the same thing and "he did it first"? And obviously was lying where I obviously wasn't?
    This ban is ridiculous and very plainly entirely a favour from ancapailldorcha to OscarBravo who had dug himself a right hole and knew it. I am asking for it to be overturned, or at the minimum my ban reduced to what the regular, non-moderator revenge, punishment is for this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi
    Can you confirm you have tried to resolve this via PM first with thr mod please
    If so can you forward on the PMs
    If not can you do so?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hi
    Can you confirm you have tried to resolve this via PM first with thr mod please
    If so can you forward on the PMs
    If not can you do so?

Thanks
    The ban e-mail directed me to come here if I did not agree with the ban?
    Of course I can do so but it should be immediately obvious, given the nature of this ban, that there isn't really much point.
    Request for removal of ban sent to mod involved.

The moderator now says I was banned due to accumulated sanctions (well isn't it amazing that he forgot to mention this when he issued the ban?), which of course are mysteriously unspecified. Also pretty damn obvious that this is a post hoc justification and he had to do a bit of trawling to come up with something he thinks might pass as plausible.
    He also continues to insist I report OscarBravo's post calling me a liar (apparently a 5 day ban or is that only for non-moderators?) despite the fact I have reported this to him already twice. I'm not really sure why he's pretending I haven't reported this already?

Alright if this cannot be resolved by the mod please bear with me and I'll look into it

Alright if this cannot be resolved by the mod please bear with me and I'll look into it
    Thanks.
    1. I don't see anywhere that calling somebody a liar is against the charter.
    2. It is factually true. He was lying about what he had said.
    3. He had called me a liar in the very post I was responding, with I'm assuming no sanction whatsoever.
    4. The banning moderator has invented some post-hoc and sham justification for a draconian 5 day ban.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your patience

First off page one post one in poitics is about accusations of lying being taken very seriously so I advise re reading it.

Given that i am recommending a red card being given to you. I am also recommending the ban be lifted on this occasion.

However.i have also taken a look through your posts and for your own sake as well as everyone else's, i suggest you post a little less abrasively in the future or we'll be back here again and penalties generally escalate. As mentioned above please read the forum charters again

All the best

Thanks for the review.
    I see now that ancapailldorcha sent me to the wrong charter. I agree it is a serious accusation. However it is abundantly clear from that thread that I have accused correctly, where OscarBravo has accused spuriously. Surely this needs to be taken into account? He claims I was making things up (an allegation against me of lying) when I was directly referring to, and subsequently quoting, what he had said. I don't feel there should be any sanction whatsoever when the accusation of lying can be so easily seen as proven.
    I also don't know what the point of lifting a ban that was due to expire today anyway is. You have in effect taken nothing I have said on board in confirming the original judgement. I am no better off than if you have done nothing as far as I can see. I still have a red card on my record after five days banned for something we can all quite clearly see OscarBravo hasn't and will never receive any sanction for.
    The lesson here is to put every moderator (who hasn't got the moderator hat on) straight to ignore, as the rules quite simply are different from them so you can't ever expect to have a conversation with them on any equal footing.

I also don't know what the point of lifting a ban that was due to expire today anyway is.
    The point is if any future action is taken or your record is reviewed, it'll be noted that the ban was overturned. It's the best I can do in the timeframe we had.
    I don't feel there should be any sanction whatsoever when the accusation of lying can be so easily seen as proven.
    I've re-read the conversation a few times.
    There's a vast difference between "I don't think too many people in Y are fans of X" and "Everyone who is in Y should hate X". It's pretty straightforward. One does not imply the other.
    It seems more a simple case of misinterpretation jumping straight to accusations of lying. Which is where the sanction comes in.

As for comparisons with ob, none of us can comment about other posters receiving mod actions or otherwise in this thread - and I'd say the same if he were any other poster, I promise you that. His post has been raised and being dealt with separately.

The point is if any future action is taken or your record is reviewed, it'll be noted that the ban was overturned. It's the best I can do in the timeframe we had.
    Fair enough. I'm happy with this outcome then and thanks.
    I've re-read the conversation a few times.
    There's a vast difference between "I don't think too many people in Y are fans of X" and "Everyone who is in Y should hate X". It's pretty straightforward. One does not imply the other.
    It seems more a simple case of misinterpretation jumping straight to accusations of lying. Which is where the sanction comes in.
    We will have to disagree on that. He was very clearly saying minorities hated Trump, and then when it was pointed out to him many had voted for him he said I was "making things up".
    As for comparisons with ob, none of us can comment about other posters receiving mod actions or otherwise in this thread - and I'd say the same if he were any other poster, I promise you that. His post has been raised and being dealt with separately.
    Well I know it's none of my business how you deal with him calling me a liar, but what I don't get is why he would be given basically no punishment at all while I got a five day ban. Either we both get a ban or we both get nothing, surely? That's the point.
    I am happy to close this and move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement