Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut hybrid handlebars?

Options
  • 30-11-2016 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I bought a hybrid a few months back, commute about 100km per week. Handlebars are 630mm wide whereas canal stiles which I use everyday are 600 and patio door is 580 - so you have to shimmy a bit.

So thinking of cutting 30-50 mm from each side of bar. Don't think I'll miss it but hard to judge holding your hands more inward as over the brake/gears.
    Anybody did this - Any opinions or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Cut about 50mm off both ends of my Synapse Flatbar to make it easier to get through traffic on my commute. Fitted bar ends and subsequently used it for long distance touring as well including the Alps and Pyrenees. The shorter bars were never a problem and the bar ends were a great addition.

Just measured them and they are 520mm wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I've done this with no issues. I was slightly disturbed by how easy they were to cut. Narrower bars are better for commuting in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Cut about 50mm off both ends of my Synapse Flatbar to make it easier to get through traffic on my commute. Fitted bar ends and subsequently used it for long distance touring as well including the Alps and Pyrenees. The shorter bars were never a problem and the bar ends were a great addition.

Just measured them and they are 520mm wide.

Thanks.
    Please tell me more about the bar ends as I'm interested in them as well - mainly to add height - to be able to just steer with fingertips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I did this on a couple of BMXs years back. I used a pipecutter which was pretty cheap and left a nice clean finish as opposed to using a hack saw.

Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/1c/1c7ef291-c2c5-4f62-b5ba-24430f8ff57b_1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Plus one for pipe cutter or guide like this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/x-tools-saw-guide/rp-prod10222
    Otherwise can be a mess

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I done it using a hacksaw and filed it off afterwards without issue a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

gk5000 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Please tell me more about the bar ends as I'm interested in them as well - mainly to add height - to be able to just steer with fingertips.

The bar ends give another grip position which is great on long spins where you don't need to be ready to brake. Not much use in traffic around town but should be useful on the canal. If they are properly set up, they don't really add height - you really need to raise the bars for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Flat bars usually have a taper so move the brakes and gears towards the centre before you cut. That way you can confirm how much you can cut. I did this with a previous flat bar bike and you will be amazed at the difference it makes when cycling in traffic and overall body position. If it all goes wrong flat bars are cheap enough. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Thanks all, nothing negative so far so shall probably do it next week.

Advertisement