Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2DS v 3DS

• 30-11-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Just wondering what is the difference between the 2DS and the 3DS?My 9 year old daughter wants a 3DS for Christmas but im wondering what is the difference between the two devices, apart from the obvious differences in the price and size. Apologies for my ignorance but i havent a clue when it comes to computers so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It you're buying for small kids the 2ds is cheap and robust.
    No functional difference between the two consoles, 3D aside.
    The hinge can get damaged with smaller kids, but the folding design protects the screens when the device is not in use.
    I've got both and both give good service tbh.
    I'd go for the 2DS then they can upgrade later as they get the hang of minding the machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

A 9 year old will know the difference. Especially if they're expecting a New 3DS.

My kids know about the year Santa brought me a Go-Bot instead of an Autobot when I was 8 - which I have since spun as "I wasn't a 100% good boy that year" even though I was an absolute angel. A slight alteration to what was asked for on the letter now could turn into a cautionary tale about how Santa will punish your grandkids if they're bold in a few decades time.

Edit : @Breener122 below :
    I'm not saying that isn't correct. It is. But what you or I might rationalise to ourselves vs how a 9 year old feels when presented with something that is less than what they were expecting is very different. And no matter how you cut it, the 2DS is the "kids" model, the cheap one that's harder to break (again, not true, since you can't protect the screens, but that's how they're viewed). And he's 9! He's practically old enough to vote and smoke! AT THE SAME TIME!!! Maybe my kids are more prone to emotionally-fueled outrage than most? I blame their mother. For letting me get her pregnant with my mentaller genes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Breener122

I recently just bought a 2DS for the sole purpose of playing the new pokemon game, and im really glad i didn't shell out an extra 100 for the 3DS. The only difference is the lack of 3D, which nobody uses anyways. Plus you get a free game bundled with the 2DS (mario kart for me) which is insane value so yeah id go for the 2DS as paying all that extra cash for the 3DS makes very little sense really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The point that keeps being made is that the 3D is worthless. This is simply not true providing you get the 'New' model.

OP it's definitely worth asking her. She might be aware of the 3D features (like I was aware that my Power Ranger should have had moveable arms and legs and didn't just stand there like a statue!! :( )

Either way it's a fantastic console.

Advertisement