Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower replacement

Options
  • 30-11-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I need to replace a mains fed electric shower with a slightly different model to the one already fitted.

Do I need to get a plumber and an electrician to do this work or is it a job for one or the other?

Also, any suggestions as to where to purchase either online or from an electrical supplier. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Maidhci wrote: »
    I need to replace a mains fed electric shower with a slightly different model to the one already fitted.

Do I need to get a plumber and an electrician to do this work or is it a job for one or the other?

Also, any suggestions as to where to purchase either online or from an electrical supplier. Thanks in advance.
    Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

ELECTRIC showers are fairly handy fit to be honest. Once you turn of the water and electricity it's easily done in 30 minutes or less assuming your know how. But to answer your question a plumber or electrician should be able to do that. All the pipe work is already there it's just a case of wiring in the new one and hooking it up to the water supply. Most plumbers can do a small bit of electric work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

An easy job. A plumber can do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1. Do I need to get a plumber and an electrician to do this work or is it a job for one or the other?

Usually either a plumber or electrician

2. I need to replace a mains fed electric shower with a slightly different model to the one already fitted.

In this case you might be better with a plumber or dedicated shower replacement company. Sometimes small changes in plumbing are more difficult to do

3. Also, any suggestions as to where to purchase either online or from an electrical supplier. Thanks in advance.

What is the make & model of the shower on the wall & what is the make & model of the shower you want to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    1. Do I need to get a plumber and an electrician to do this work or is it a job for one or the other?

Usually either a plumber or electrician

2. I need to replace a mains fed electric shower with a slightly different model to the one already fitted.

In this case you might be better with a plumber or dedicated shower replacement company. Sometimes small changes in plumbing are more difficult to do

3. Also, any suggestions as to where to purchase either online or from an electrical supplier. Thanks in advance.

What is the make & model of the shower on the wall & what is the make & model of the shower you want to buy?

The existing shower is a Mira 8.4 Supreme, thinking of replacing with Mira ATL 9.0 or 9.5 - not sure if there is a big difference between the two models.

Do you know from experience if there are major changes required to fit the new one?

• Advertisement

The existing shower is a Mira 8.4 Supreme, thinking of replacing with Mira ATL 9.0 or 9.5 - not sure if there is a big difference between the two models.

Do you know from experience if there are major changes required to fit the new one?

The Mira Advance ATL is VERY overpriced & not designed for the average home. These are designed for nursing homes & hospitals. Triton have a range of these too but again not suitable for the average home.

I can't see you getting one for less than 500 plus installation. You need to be very careful who you let install this too. Once they are out of warranty you'll be looking 200 each time they need repairing. Usually people have them for 3 or 4 years & they break. When they hear how expensive the repair is they replace it with a regular mains fed shower
    IMO unless you absolutely need one in a disabled shower room I'd go with a regular mains fed shower. 200 or less will get a good one

EDIT: I found one here for under 300 STR but mira in Ireland won't honor the warranty unless bought in Ireland : https://www.showerdoc.com/mira-advance-atl-9-0kw-electric-shower-white-chrome-1-1643-001

The Mira Advance ATL is VERY overpriced & not designed for the average home. These are designed for nursing homes & hospitals. Triton have a range of these too but again not suitable for the average home.

I can't see you getting one for less than 500 plus installation. You need to be very careful who you let install this too. Once they are out of warranty you'll be looking 200 each time they need repairing. Usually people have them for 3 or 4 years & they break. When they hear how expensive the repair is they replace it with a regular mains fed shower
    IMO unless you absolutely need one in a disabled shower room I'd go with a regular mains fed shower. 200 or less will get a good one

Thanks Sleeper, very useful and interesting to know. AFAIK the Mira 8.4 Supreme is discontinued, so not an option and I was trying to get one of similar dimensions etc. etc. hence the Mira Advance.

When you say a regular mains fed shower as opposed to the Advance mains fed - do you have any specific make and model recommendations? Also, it would help if there were to be minimal changes to plumbing and electrical works etc. etc. Thanks again.

Thanks Sleeper, very useful and interesting to know. AFAIK the Mira 8.4 Supreme is discontinued, so not an option and I was trying to get one of similar dimensions etc. etc. hence the Mira Advance.

When you say a regular mains fed shower as opposed to the Advance mains fed - do you have any specific make and model recommendations? Also, it would help if there were to be minimal changes to plumbing and electrical works etc. etc. Thanks again.

It's hard to say without seeing the shower on the wall & how much space you have either side.

If your shower is tiled behind ( it's supposed to be ) Then either the Triton T80Z or a Mira sport would be perfect. You'll buy these for under €200

It's hard to say without seeing the shower on the wall & how much space you have either side.

If your shower is tiled behind ( it's supposed to be ) Then either the Triton T80Z or a Mira sport would be perfect. You'll buy these for under €200

Thanks Sleeper - I don't think space will be an issue? There is 30cm of wall space available to the right and 75cm available to the left of the existing shower unit. I have had a brief look at their website and there is also a Sport Multi-fit which appears to offer additional openings for water and mains connections to cover most eventualities.

The walls were tiled before the shower and other fittings were installed.

Is there much difference, performance wise, between 9.0kW and 9.8kW?

Is the price of approx. €200 from a Heating and Plumbing suppliers or online?

Thanks Sleeper - I don't think space will be an issue? There is 30cm of wall space available to the right and 75cm available to the left of the existing shower unit. I have had a brief look at their website and there is also a Sport Multi-fit which appears to offer additional openings for water and mains connections to cover most eventualities.

The walls were tiled before the shower and other fittings were installed.

Is there much difference, performance wise, between 9.0kW and 9.8kW?

Is the price of approx. €200 from a Heating and Plumbing suppliers or online?

Sorry the Sport is more expensive than I thought. The Triton T80Z fast fit is €190 in woodies & cheaper online. This also has left, right, bottom & top entry points

• Advertisement

Sorry the Sport is more expensive than I thought. The Triton T80Z fast fit is €190 in woodies & cheaper online. This also has left, right, bottom & top entry points

No worries, thank you for all your help and advice.

No worries, thank you for all your help and advice.

I have the T90z it cost me 220 and it's a fantastic shower. Easy to install. I'd never installed one before and I had it up and running in 20 minutes.

I have the T90z it cost me 220 and it's a fantastic shower. Easy to install. I'd never installed one before and I had it up and running in 20 minutes.

Thanks for that Atari, realistically though, I would not feel comfortable doing it myself.

Thanks for that Atari, realistically though, I would not feel comfortable doing it myself.

Fair enough. Still a grand shower though!

Hopefully, the last question on this! I have got seemingly good online prices but will check with local heating and plumbing suppliers before I purchase.

Basically, the existing shower is 8.4kW - the minimum kW for the shower being considered is 9kW and also available in 9.80kW, being the preferred option. If I were to go for the 9.80kW,would that mean that I would need to renew existing electrical cabling etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Fair enough. Still a grand shower though!

The triton t90z is obsolete & you may not be able to get spare parts in a little as 5 years.
    Maidhci wrote:
    Basically, the existing shower is 8.4kW - the minimum kW for the shower being considered is 9kW and also available in 9.80kW, being the preferred option. If I were to go for the 9.80kW,would that mean that I would need to renew existing electrical cabling etc.?

When looking at the kW of a shower you need to see is it based on UK 240v or Irish 230v. For example a mira elite qt is 9kw @230v and 9.8kw @240v. It's the same shower but it's easy to think that the 9.8kw is more powerful when it's the exact same thing

The triton t90z is obsolete & you may not be able to get spare parts in a little as 5 years.

If I get 5 years out of a shower before it causes trouble i think my 220 euro went fairly far.

If I get 5 years out of a shower before it causes trouble i think my 220 euro went fairly far.

Yes but for an extra 25 Euro you could have bought the current silent model knowing you can get parts for 10 years.
    For anyone else reading, you should be getting these old models for around 150. Anything over this and you are over paying.

Yes but for an extra 25 Euro you could have bought the current silent model knowing you can get parts for 10 years.
    For anyone else reading, you should be getting these old models for around 150. Anything over this and you are over paying.

I bought mine a fair while ago to be fair.

Silent eh? How silent?

Silent eh? How silent?

You'd have to hear it to understand. Not totally silent, a slight hum & no vibration in the walls.

• Advertisement

When looking at the kW of a shower you need to see is it based on UK 240v or Irish 230v. For example a mira elite qt is 9kw @230v and 9.8kw @240v. It's the same shower but it's easy to think that the 9.8kw is more powerful when it's the exact same thing

Thanks again, the shower I am looking at is the Mira Sport 9.8kW not the Triton. The Mira brochure states that the kW ratings given are based on UK 240 volts. There is a conversion table that converts the power ratings - the Mira Sport 9.8kW is based on UK 240 volts, converted to 9.0kW for Ireland. Do you think I should be ok with this as regards existing cabling etc. etc. Hopefully, it is not going to be obsolete in some months time like the Triton you mentioned earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

To be pedantic the UK is also 230V. This is with a tolerance of +10%/-6%

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Which model is that? EDIT: just found your video in the plumbing forum.. T90SR. only the shower footprint is nothing like my old elite...
    My Elite ST needs replacement since this mornings shower. And while I'm not convinced Mira has fixed the reported issues with the Elite QT, looking for silent Triton as alternative.

Maidhci wrote:
    Thanks again, the shower I am looking at is the Mira Sport 9.8kW not the Triton. The Mira brochure states that the kW ratings given are based on UK 240 volts. There is a conversion table that converts the power ratings - the Mira Sport 9.8kW is based on UK 240 volts, converted to 9.0kW for Ireland. Do you think I should be ok with this as regards existing cabling etc. etc. Hopefully, it is not going to be obsolete in some months time like the Triton you mentioned earlier?

You are looking at the 9kw. If you have 10mm cable & a 40amp rcbo you'll be fine. If you have 6mm cable then the rule of thumb is its OK for a 9kw shower on a run up to 15 metres assuming its not buried in attic insulation. Again 40amp rcbo. If in doubt check with a good electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@sleeper12

Apologies for butting in on this thread, but was wondering, would your rule of thumb re cable sizing apply in my own situation?
    Considering replacing Triton T90SI DOM 2004, working perfectly. but could do with being a bit quieter. Concern I have is that cable is only 6mmsq, length probably about 10m, protected by MCBO (not sure of rating, but it replaced older RCD)). This is third electric shower using circuit (in house 30yrs now :eek:), don't ever recall it tripping RCD/MCBO.

WW

@sleeper12

Apologies for butting in on this thread, but was wondering, would your rule of thumb re cable sizing apply in my own situation?
    Considering replacing Triton T90SI DOM 2004, working perfectly. but could do with being a bit quieter. Concern I have is that cable is only 6mmsq, length probably about 10m, protected by MCBO (not sure of rating, but it replaced older RCD)). This is third electric shower using circuit (in house 30yrs now :eek:), don't ever recall it tripping RCD/MCBO.

WW

I have to stress that I'm not an electrician. I am a plumber specializing in shower repair & installation so it's never a bad thing to double check with an electrician.
    Again assuming that the cable isn't covered with attic insulation 6mm should be fine for a 10 meter run. I heard RECI want 10mm for 9kw & higher. Not sure if this is true but even if it is it's only on new installations & rewires.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

I have to stress that I'm not an electrician. I am a plumber specializing in shower repair & installation so it's never a bad thing to double check with an electrician.
    Again assuming that the cable isn't covered with attic insulation 6mm should be fine for a 10 meter run. I heard RECI want 10mm for 9kw & higher. Not sure if this is true but even if it is it's only on new installations & rewires.

Apologies sleeper, understand you are not an electrician. Really meant to ask the question based on your experiences out in the field when doing shower upgrades. ie: have you seen any problems with wiring after replacing older models with the new quieter one?

Apologies sleeper, understand you are not an electrician. Really meant to ask the question based on your experiences out in the field when doing shower upgrades. ie: have you seen any problems with wiring after replacing older models with the new quieter one?

None at all.

Advertisement