Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Late '13 Leaf from the UK - €6.9k landed

• 01-12-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

From a main Nissan dealer. Asking £5,690, so with a little bit off that car would land for about €6.9k with a cheap flight & ferry

That's a lot of cheap to run, nearly new car for your money

No mention of Flexi (leased battery), so presumably it doesn't. Any way to check apart needing the VIN or from ringing the dealer and hoping they are honest?

And someone tell me, do these still have the original (not so great) battery, or is this the improved version? Again how can I tell apart from needing the VIN?

Aim is to bring it in, have a little play with it myself for a few months and sell on for a modest profit or for at least what it cost me to bring it in. Surely it would easily sell here for €8k or am I delusional?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just saw in a post from KCross that the v1.5 with the new much improved battery is from 2014

Hard to tell then with a UK car with a 63 plate as that means the car is registered between September '13 and March '14?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks Colm:

Vehicle details
    Vehicle make NISSAN Date of first registration 11 September 2013 Year of manufacture 2013 Cylinder capacity (cc) 0 cc CO₂Emissions 0 g/km Fuel type ELECTRICITY Export marker No Vehicle status Tax not due Vehicle colour WHITE Vehicle type approval M1 Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY

Early 63 plate, v1 so

I stuck it in cartell.ie and it turns out it's a VISIA FLEX

Honestly do we need an Irish site to tell us that a UK car is compromised (battery not owned)? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

unkel wrote: »
    Honestly do we need an Irish site to tell us that a UK car is compromised (battery not owned)? :rolleyes:
    If they don't quote it (and some of them dont), you'll need to contact the dealer and ask.

Frustrating when they don't specify - although most of them these days do. Less so, when it comes to whether they are generation 1 or gen 1.5 2013's or whether the car has 6.6kW on-board charging or 3.3. In these latter cases, they often simply don't know even if you do contact them! There are visual indicators that can clarify this - so check out the photos supplied - or otherwise, tell them what these checks are - so that they can go out to the car and confirm back to you.

I've been keeping tabs on UK pricing on Leafs since I bought a few months back. Ironically, despite the sizeable shift in the exchange rate, I'm seeing a pattern where prices on 2nd hands seem to have gone up if anything. I guess there is more demand.

Frustrating when they don't specify - although most of them these days do. Less so, when it comes to whether they are generation 1 or gen 1.5 2013's or whether the car has 6.6kW on-board charging or 3.3. In these latter cases, they often simply don't know even if you do contact them!

Especially when it is a main Nissan dealer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

From a main Nissan dealer. Asking £5,690, so with a little bit off that car would land for about €6.9k with a cheap flight & ferry

That's a lot of cheap to run, nearly new car for your money

No mention of Flexi (leased battery), so presumably it doesn't. Any way to check apart needing the VIN or from ringing the dealer and hoping they are honest?

And someone tell me, do these still have the original (not so great) battery, or is this the improved version? Again how can I tell apart from needing the VIN?

Aim is to bring it in, have a little play with it myself for a few months and sell on for a modest profit or for at least what it cost me to bring it in. Surely it would easily sell here for €8k or am I delusional?

Both my wife and I will be changing jobs were we will be commuting via the luas. Going to be getting rid of at least one car but if I could get something like this at that price I'd get rid of the two of them. Must do some proper research on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If it's too good to be true it's Flex. You should know that by now!

You seem to be on a never ending conquest for the ultimate bargain... Just buy one! You won't regret it.

I should have guessed, but it was from a main Nissan dealer. My dealings with main Nissan dealers in this country have been good, the people were honest and professional. Surprised to see that wasn't the case in the UK

And yes, I'm always looking for a bargain. I'm never desperate to buy and I can usually (barely) control myself and be patient. This attitude has landed me many bargains in my life and made it very easy to sell on things once I'm done with them. This year alone I have sold several cars, all for substantially more than I bought them for. Depreciation is something I let other people enjoy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

And don' assume you will be bale to sell it on easily here either! The pool of potential second hand leaf buyers is not that big, and they all want the ultimate bargain.

I guess so. Would be interesting to see when the first of the Leafs from '14 onwards are coming out of PCP and hitting the second hand market next year. I'd expect some serious depreciation to kick in.

And as said, I'd only be interested in buying a second hand Leaf it was extremely cheap and if it wouldn't be too hard for me to sell it on at worst with a tiny loss, but preferably with a profit. The Leaf wouldn't be a long term solution for me, just something to play with. It's far more likely that I'd buy a brand new Ioniq next year or another EV in the next few years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I should have guessed, but it was from a main Nissan dealer. My dealings with main Nissan dealers in this country have been good, the people were honest and professional. Surprised to see that wasn't the case in the UK

The big difference with EVs is that often the main dealer doesn't understand what their selling. So it can be the case that whoever is putting up the Ad doesn't understand the battery lease situation with FLEX.

The EV market is still at the point where it's very much caveat emptor. If you've done your basic research the guy selling you the car will usually know less about the car he's selling you than you do.

Also just wanted to repeat the warning that the UK Visia spec usually excludes rapid charging, which would practically make the vehicle unsaleable 2nd hand.

cros13 wrote: »
    The big difference with EVs is that often the main dealer doesn't understand what their selling. So it can be the case that whoever is putting up the Ad doesn't understand the battery lease situation with FLEX.

I guess that is possible, but it also is highly unprofessional. We are talking only 3 or 4 simple main characteristics of an EV here. Any sales person (at a main dealer of the car!!!) should know this by heart and so should anyone responsible for putting up ads. This is elementary. I'm not talking about far more complex stuff like reading out the OBD2 port with Leaf Spy app / software etc.
    the UK Visia spec usually excludes rapid charging

You might have told me / others this before, apologies if I forgot. But does that mean 3.3kw instead of 6.6kw AC charging (no biggie for me) or lack of CHAdeMO DC fast charging on a public charging point? The latter would degrade the car to second car use only for the overwhelming majority of people, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Especially when it is a main Nissan dealer!
    From the few weeks I was shopping, they're just as likely to do it - if not moreso in some cases - than independents. Some worse than others - perhaps they think they will entice someone down to the dealership and 'close them out' once they have them in front of them.

n97 mini wrote:
    You seem to be on a never ending conquest for the ultimate bargain... Just buy one! You won't regret it.

If he's in a position to bide his time, there's nothing wrong with that. I've only seen one other car advertised since I bought that *might* have been better value (it was a cat d 2015 acenta that had been repaired and sold within a week for small money. Of course, it really remains to be seen what level of damage that car had taken - could have been significant or not so significant).
    unkel wrote:
    I'd only be interested in buying a second hand Leaf it was extremely cheap and if it wouldn't be too hard for me to sell it on
    Remains to be seen if you would be able to turn it over fast. As oinkelly outlined, you're dealing with a very small pool of potential buyers in IRL - even if there is a difference between the pricepoint you will sell at and what irish dealers are selling at.

Any sales person (at a main dealer of the car!!!) should know this by heart

Many would struggle to tell you more than:
    It has four wheels
    It's car shaped
    You have to charge it
    But does that mean 3.3kw instead of 6.6kw AC charging (no biggie for me) or lack of CHAdeMO DC fast charging on a public charging point?

No CHAdeMO. The 2016 UK Visia spec includes CHAdeMO by default but anything earlier does not. In 2014/2015 the Visia got CHAdeMO as an optional extra (these would usually be specifically described as "Visia w/h Fast Charging"). The Irish XE equivalent was mostly ordered by dealers here with CHAdeMO as Nissan Ireland strongly encouraged it.

Other differences (note the Visia in the video has the optional rapid charging):

Oh Jaysus. Just like the Renault Fluence then? Only suitable as a second (city) car and like you say the market for one over here would be severely limited. I don't think you mentioned this in your super post about importing the Leaf though! In fact you say:
    KCross wrote: »
    The LEAF has a port for AC and DC charging(CHAdeMO).

So the DC port is completely absent in one of these? A picture of the port would tell then? Or what is the best way of finding out, VIN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Many would struggle to tell you more than:
    It has four wheels
    It's car shaped
    You have to charge it

No CHAdeMO. The 2016 UK Visia spec includes CHAdeMO by default but anything earlier does not. In 2014/2015 the Visia got CHAdeMO as an optional extra (these would usually be specifically described as "Visia w/h Fast Charging"). The Irish XE equivalent was mostly ordered by dealers here with CHAdeMO as Nissan Ireland strongly encouraged it.

I wouldn't touch a leaf without fast charging.

Talking about a sale proof car: 24 kWh with 3.3 no heat pump and no DC charging.

samih wrote: »
    Talking about a sale proof car: 24 kWh with 3.3 no heat pump and no DC charging.

It's the consequence of chasing low priced " bargains " , some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

BoatMad wrote: »
    It's the consequence of chasing low priced " bargains " , some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

:rolleyes:

If that's the quality of your contributions, BoatMad, then please don't post in my thread.

Looking at my leaf usage, I would consider it if the price was right. Charge mostly overnight at home, though sometimes use a public FCP / SCP if i need the extra range in the evening. IT would probably suit a lot of people who just use the car for commuting.

You would have to factor in the cost of having it delivered though, cause i can't see how you would ever get it home from the UK otherwise !

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

If that's the quality of your contributions, BoatMad, then please don't post in my thread.

Unless you own boards.ie , I an entitled to post anywhere I like

I was making the point , that your quest for a deal , is blinding you to the " value" of a proper " cost" not simply the lowest.

You need to understand carefully, EVs , what you want to use them for , what exact spec, battery life , flex issues, Chargers , cables. The cost of home EVSE etc. To simply , for example , not buy a second hand without evaluating the leaf spy output of battery data ( and understanding what you see ) is also madness

It's just not as simple as persuing , adds and thinking like it's an ice.

A " bargain " is not the lowest cost ,

oinkely wrote: »
    Looking at my leaf usage, I would consider it if the price was right. Charge mostly overnight at home, though sometimes use a public FCP / SCP if i need the extra range in the evening. IT would probably suit a lot of people who just use the car for commuting.

You would have to factor in the cost of having it delivered though, cause i can't see how you would ever get it home from the UK otherwise !

If it has no chademo connector how can you charge at FCPs

Have you examined the leaf spy battery data ? , I wouldn't touch a second hand one until I reviewed that, and understood what I was looking at.

Looking at my leaf usage, I would consider it if the price was right.  Charge mostly overnight at home, though sometimes use a public FCP / SCP if i need the extra range in the evening.  IT would probably suit a lot of people who just use the car for commuting.  

Forgot to add the Flex on my previous post. But yes, you are right, one without DC would work if you absolutely will never need to drive beyond the range of the overnight charge or maybe even for commuting if you had a dedicated charger at work. To even consider buying one it would definitely need to be cheeep. Personally I would probably buy a Gen 1 instead. The interior on the XE/Visia imo. feels really low rent and the original cars have really nice paint finish etc. etc. not to mention some useful extras compared to a bare bones 1.5.

Forgot to add the Flex on my previous post. But yes, you are right, one without DC would work if you absolutely will never need to drive beyond the range of the overnight charge or maybe even for commuting if you had a dedicated charger at work. To even consider buying one it would definitely need to be cheeep. Personally I would probably buy a Gen 1 instead. The interior on the XE/Visia imo. feels really low rent and the original cars have really nice paint finish etc. etc. not to mention some useful extras compared to a bare bones 1.5.

I'm stunned , given the nature of the charging network in Ireland , why anyone would ever buy a 3.3kw AC leaf . Madness in my view

If it has no chademo connector how can you charge at FCPs

Have you examined the leaf spy battery data ? , I wouldn't touch a second hand one until I reviewed that, and understood what I was looking at.

I appreciate that it would not be usable at chademo charge points. My point was simply that despite the limitations of no rapid charging and only a 3.3kw charger, if it suits your needs then it might make a fine vehicle for getting to /from work for a segment of the market, myself included.

No leaf spy check as I have no intention of adding a third electric vehicle to the household right now, maybe in 10 years when my kids are old enough to drive though!

For the moment I am happy with my 132 gen 1 and will be sticking with it and it's energy hungry heater and 3.3KW charging for the foreseeable future. My wife is equally happy with her 141 gen 1.5, both of which only occasionally see a rapid charger. As such we could easily work around having no DC rapid in one of the cars, IF the price was right.

For the moment I am happy with my 132 gen 1 and will be sticking with it and it's energy hungry heater and 3.3KW charging for the foreseeable future. My wife is equally happy with her 141 gen 1.5, both of which only occasionally see a rapid charger. As such we could easily work around having no DC rapid in one of the cars, IF the price was right.

I can see that from your posts, :), why a third car anyway

The Fluence/Kangoo ZE and Leaf XE/Visia (sans CHAdeMO) both look like normal cars but they're in a special "you have to know what you're signing yourself up for" section of the EV market.

They're ideal 2nd EVs for an existing EV owner who understands the extent of the flexibility they'll lose by not having rapid charging. They are great runabouts around town or for short commuting use, but not having the option to rapid charge really hobbles them if you suddenly need to take a longer journey or exceed your usual mileage in a particularly busy day.

Add that to the difficulty selling them on (you have to find a buyer with the same limited needs as you) and they're really only worth buying if you are going to recoup nearly the full value of the car in its life with you. You can't rely on being able to sell it on in the future.

So the DC port is completely absent in one of these? A picture of the port would tell then? Or what is the best way of finding out, VIN?

With CHAdeMO:
    NissanLeafChargePort.jpg

Without CHAdeMO:
    M-front-plug.JPG

I can see that from your posts, :), why a third car anyway

Can't have the kids slumming it on the bus when they get older:D

• Advertisement

Can't have the kids slumming it on the bus when they get older:D

"A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."

attributed to Margaret Thatcher but not with any degree of certainty

Advertisement