Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Late '13 Leaf from the UK - €6.9k landed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    And yes, I'm always looking for a bargain. I'm never desperate to buy and I can usually (barely) control myself and be patient. This attitude has landed me many bargains in my life and made it very easy to sell on things once I'm done with them. This year alone I have sold several cars, all for substantially more than I bought them for. Depreciation is something I let other people enjoy :p

If you put a cost on the time invested it's not such a bargain. Key is knowing when to stop. Life is too short and you can never get that back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

n97 mini wrote: »
    If you put a cost on the time invested it's not such a bargain. Key is knowing when to stop. Life is too short and you can never get that back.

I know where you are coming from, but it doesn't work for me like that. Some people spend a lot of time watching television, which they enjoy and they wouldn't think of that as lost time that costs them money. I don't watch television.

Some people feel the process of finding and buying a new car as a chore. I enjoy that process and I enjoy finding myself a bargain :)

I understand what you're saying, but you can't enjoy the new car will you're still searching for it. Search less = drive more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I understand what you're saying, but you can't enjoy the new car will you're still searching for it. Search less = drive more!

He can enjoy the money in his back pocket!

Although I think it will be hard earned trying to make money in the Irish EV used market right now. If you were buying to order that might work better.

I own a Jaguar and a Porsche. Buying an EV this side of a Model S or i8 will actually take away from my driving enjoyment ;)

Like almost everybody else buying an EV: let's not kid ourselves, it is mostly a money saving exercise...

• Advertisement

Like almost everybody else buying an EV: let's not kid ourselves, it is mostly a money saving exercise...

Starts out as that. Soon becomes a "wtf, why didn't we buy one sooner"

I own a Jaguar and a Porsche.

I'm guessing they're pretty old? They'll feel like dinosaurs compared to a Leaf!

Haha, I like your enthusiasm. But the brand new Leaf I drove a few months ago felt like a handicapped, retired, cheap, not very well made dinosaur, that hasn't had any food or drink for a month compared to my 18 year old Porsche :p

And did I say the Leaf was extremely ugly too? :pac:

Haha, I like your enthusiasm. But the brand new Leaf I drove a few months ago felt like a handicapped, retired, cheap, not very well made dinosaur, that hasn't had any food or drink for a month compared to

Sounds like Eco mode was on. But if you found it that bad, don't buy one!
    my 18 year old Porsche :p

And did I say the Leaf was extremely ugly too?

Those auld Porsches aren't lookers either, with the exception-ish of the 911.

Sounds like Eco mode was on.
    Eco mode was not on. Well it couldn't have been. The range dropped 3 times as fast as I did kilometers. And I didn't even go over 80km/h :p
    if you found it that bad, don't buy one!

Don't twist my words. I did not find it bad at all.

Actually much better than most econoboxes with an ICE engine. The one thing where an EV excels is also the weakest point of a modern car with a small turbocharged ICE engine: a lot of torque from standstill.

But again, let's not kid ourselves. The Leaf is a cheap econobox. The sole reason anyone (apart from a few loonies trying to save the world) has for buying one is that it saves a lot of money compared to an equally cheapo ICE car. In fact I did some sums and buying a brand new Leaf for me is cheaper than keeping my 13 year old, zero depreciation, Jaguar. Total cost of ownership.

felt like a handicapped, retired, cheap, not very well made dinosaur, that hasn't had any food or drink for a month

I think that's self-explanatory.

You don't own an EV, so you don't have the benefit of experience. Whatever the reasons for buying the first one, people are converted by the ownership experience. Our next car will be another EV, I can't see us ever buying another ICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Haha, I like your enthusiasm. But the brand new Leaf I drove a few months ago felt like a handicapped, retired, cheap, not very well made dinosaur, that hasn't had any food or drink for a month compared to my 18 year old Porsche :p

And did I say the Leaf was extremely ugly too? :pac:

Yes, it is most definitely about saving $$$ - there may be 10% who choose for environmental reasons but that's as far as it goes. Someone posted on the IEVOA facebook page - who was doing research on peoples motivations in buying an EV. With one or two exceptions, all said the main reason was cost saving.

As regards the car being ugly - I have mixed feelings on that topic - I agree its ugly but then the pragmatist in me thinks wtf - who cares. Because we are being continually bombarded with propaganda ref. the latest new shiny set of wheels, we all end up buying in to that making it a lifestyle purchase when it should simply be a buying decision based on what lump of steel provides the best value for money - and serves its purpose. I know most won't agree with this - but that's the approach I take.

You don't own an EV, so you don't have the benefit of experience.

Why would I have to own one to know what it's like? I've driven one and I've done the sums. It saves a sh1tload of money compared to buying a similar (new) ICE. And driving it is fine. Better than a similar ICE, particularly the nought to a bit acceleration
    Whatever the reasons for buying the first one

Eh, yeah, the one reason everyone has you mean? That it saves a sh1tload of money? :p
    people are converted by the ownership experience.

Of course. They feel directly in their pocket that it saves a sh1tload of money. Probably even more than they thought. And there's no more hassle like getting fuel at a fuel station, there's barely any maintenance, nothing breaks down, and did I mention they no longer have to pay the weekly €50 or €100 in fuel? :p

Two major drawbacks though. Range (getting much better in newer cars, but still nowhere near ICE and a major pain in the hole if you want to go from one end of the country to the other end in a few hours, not wanting it to take a full day) and potential depreciation (so far looking not too bad at all, but it is early days)

Of course. They feel directly in their pocket that it saves a sh1tload of money. Probably even more than they thought. And there's no more hassle like getting fuel at a fuel station, there's barely any maintenance, nothing breaks down, and did I mention they no longer have to pay the weekly €50 or €100 in fuel? :p

Two major drawbacks though. Range (getting much better in newer cars, but still nowhere near ICE and a major pain in the hole if you want to go from one end of the country to the other end in a few hours, not wanting it to take a full day) and potential depreciation (so far looking not too bad at all, but it is early days)
    I think you're right on. So.....it's a question of whether you are prepared to put up with the downsides in order to benefit from the upsides.....all the while being mindful that it could be a case of shifting sands (e.g. free charging may go soon - perhaps to be replaced with a reasonable fee paying system or something horrendous. Furthermore, depreciation may be an issue - but then I'm betting that there will be a market for older Leafs - as a second run around for people in town - when they're coming cheap at that point)....so they should retain a certain residual value.

As of mid - December, I'll have saved €640+ in fuel (bearing in mind thats in comparison with a highly efficient 1.4 TDCi ford I was driving before). A service would have been due by now for me given the mileage I'm doing - so that's another €100-150 saved (hardly ever leave without dropping that sort of money by the time everything is covered).

I didn't buy the leaf to save money at all, If I wanted to save money I would have kept the Prius. I bought it because I much prefer the EV drive and I wanted a change after 4 years driving the Prius and I can put the money saved on fuel and maintenance towards repayments which would not be available with a ICE.

Now after 2 years and 54K Kms later I'll never go back to ICE.

I didn't buy the leaf to save money at all
    Can't argue with you. However, you're a minority if that sample research feedback on the IEVOA FB page is anything to go by. I think there was in excess of 30 respondents - from memory, only 2 suggested that the key reason was anything other than financial.

Why would I have to own one to know what it's like?

Eh, yeah, the one reason everyone has you mean? That it saves a sh1tload of money? :p

You had a test drive; less than the equivalent of a one night stand. Maybe a cheeky snog at the bus stop is all you had.

As for your other point, I did say whatever the motivation for buying the first one, people will buy the second one because it's just a better all round experience. I used to be a petrol head, spent my summer just gone driving V8s in the US but now I wouldn't be arsed. Electric is the future.

As for your other point, I did say whatever the motivation for buying the first one, people will buy the second one because it's just a better all round experience. I used to be a petrol head, spent my summer just gone driving V8s in the US but now I wouldn't be arsed. Electric is the future.
    I'd go back to petrol or diesel tomorrow if the TCO mean't that it was cheaper overall.

That said, the expectation is that this won't be the case - and any rational government policy will see to it that petrol/diesel continue to become inherently more expensive to run whilst technological development and ever increasing economies of scale should see EV's offered at an ever improved pricepoint.

Do I like the idea of having moved early-ish to EV? - yes. Will I always have an interest in new tech - yes. But cost always is the first and primary consideration.

That's my viewpoint - perhaps others are different but by and large - I'm guessing most people are led by cost considerations in the first instance.

You had a test drive; less than the equivalent of a one night stand. Maybe a cheeky snog at the bus stop is all you had.

It felt more like a handjob from a granny without a happy ending :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Eco mode was not on. Well it couldn't have been. The range dropped 3 times as fast as I did kilometers. And I didn't even go over 80km/h :p

Actually much better than most econoboxes with an ICE engine. The one thing where an EV excels is also the weakest point of a modern car with a small turbocharged ICE engine: a lot of torque from standstill.

But again, let's not kid ourselves. The Leaf is a cheap econobox. The sole reason anyone (apart from a few loonies trying to save the world) has for buying one is that it saves a lot of money compared to an equally cheapo ICE car. In fact I did some sums and buying a brand new Leaf for me is cheaper than keeping my 13 year old, zero depreciation, Jaguar. Total cost of ownership.

Correct. The leaf is a ordinary Jap econo-box small family 4 door car . That's what it was designed to be. I own one , I don't pretend it's a Porsche or even a moderately fast car. It's not.

However the driving experience of any EV is far far better then a clapped out Porsche in my view.

Advertisement