Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (to me) semi auto choice

Options
  • 01-12-2016 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

If I can throw this out for your opinions, please.
    Strongly considering buying a semi-auto 12 G Shotgun.
    In a choice between an old Beretta 302 or 303, and an almost new Stoeger M3000, what would you go for?

Beretta is a very well proved design, and the Stoeger is based on a Benelli design of action, and is now a Beretta subsidery. Made in Turkey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redneck22

I've had a beretta 391 which is a newer version or the 303 , beautiful gun to shoot, I also had a beretta es100 which was basically a benelli action gun made by beretta, of the two i preferred the es100 mainly because it was recoil operated as opposed to gas operated like the 391, it made cleaning so much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Redneck22 wrote: »
    I've had a beretta 391 which is a newer version or the 303 , beautiful gun to shoot, I also had a beretta es100 which was basically a benelli action gun made by beretta, of the two i preferred the es100 mainly because it was recoil operated as opposed to gas operated like the 391, it made cleaning so much easier

Does that mean you need to use 'punchy' cartridges (30g + etc), compared to a gas operated system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

gunny123 wrote:
    I could only imagine trying to get a dealers licence for a shop in Finglas would not be for the faint hearted.

I've a 391 and owned a Benelli Super 90. Never had issues with any. Benelli easier to clean. You can't go wrong with a 303. I know many lads shooting them. Watch the vomit button for the magazine 😆.....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

ezra_ wrote: »
    Does that mean you need to use 'punchy' cartridges (30g + etc), compared to a gas operated system?

Inertia driven action of the Benellis will happily cycle 28g trap loads. Might struggle with 24g though, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Inertia driven action of the Benellis will happily cycle 28g trap loads. Might struggle with 24g though, for example.

I had a SBE II and it was completely unreliable with 28g trap loads. My brother had an original SBE and it was the same.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a Benelli is to take it clay shooting first if at all possible

• Advertisement

Funny,

Threw a box of them at my M2 and it was fine.

Different guns I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fact. Take a SA out for a shoot before you buy it,and a good trick is take a box of utterly mixed shotshells with you.Everything from ultra light to 3inch maggies if the gun will handle them[Read the barrel for advice on this] and belt them thru.if the gun hiccups on any of the loads,you will know straight away what it doesnt like.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sound advice Grizz. Throw mixed magazines through it. You'll need to put at least 20 28g loads through it to satisfy yourself of reliability.

But if you're doing clays a gas operated gun prob is more reliable. I had a beretta A400 unico which ate absolutely everthing from 24g to 3 1/2 supermags (ouch). If you can stretch to one of these I'd highly recommend them. Should pick up one 2nd hand for about €1,100 or less of you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That's why I got the Benelli M3..Pump/Semi auto..if it chokes on a load in semi,just switch to pump and continue.:) Now if I could just get a 24in deer barrel for it.I'd be happy out.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I now own a Beretta Xtrema 2 and unfortunately that was not flawless either but touch wood is running perfectly now. Took about 100 cartridges in quick succession and a dose of frog lube to cure it.

The Benelli was always breaking my heart, I treated it so well and it would still jam very regularly with 28 gram cartridges and frequently enough with 32 gram + carts. The damn thing was such a nice gun, fit like a glove and was way better balanced than my current Xtrema.

Some of the browning semi-autos look nice anyone every own one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So, just an update.
    Bought a nice Beretta 391 Urika today, synthetic stock. Older but in great condition.
    Throwing in the paperwork tomorrow, and hopefully the wait will be a short one!

He had a Turkish semi-auto called a Kral Queen, which fitted me perfectly as well and felt really well balanced, but went for the Beretta in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Nekarsulm wrote:
    He had a Turkish semi-auto called a Kral Queen, which fitted me perfectly as well and felt really well balanced, but went for the Beretta in the end.

Kral......walk away.

Kral......walk away.

Ah, I did!

For the small price difference, the Beretta was the only choice. He even had a couple of 302's and a 303 for the same money as the Kral.

I'd say if anything broke on a Kral, you'd be making the part yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

The 302 and 303 are two amazing shot guns

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So, just an update.
    Bought a nice Beretta 391 Urika today, synthetic stock. Older but in great condition.
    Throwing in the paperwork tomorrow, and hopefully the wait will be a short one!

Hi there

Im in the market for a semi auto myself and was thinking along the same lines as you. Ccan I ask where you got the shotgun and ballpark what the asking price on the different ones was?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007533612902

This guy.
    If you scroll down to the 24th March post, you'll see the one I've bought.

Keep scrolling down to 1st Feb, he has a nice Beretta A303 for 360 euro. Or at least, he still had it ten days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1809857805941989&set=a.1404021749858932.1073741828.100007533612902&type=3&theater

thanks for that

ps

well wear on the gun - looks like a beauty

Advertisement