Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WingChun martial art applied

Options
  • 01-12-2016 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

so wondering what you guys think of this Wingchun video
    https://youtu.be/Flkvnk8cPB8?t=15s

I would assume that if they sparred a kick boxer, their "gaurd" would be pretty quickly broken by the force of a regular punch or even easily countered by a simple hook.

Think theres any substance to what their training? I atleast give them credit for actually trying it out in sparring though, alot of these "martial arts" tend to never spar (because they know their **** doesnt work). so thats why i found this interesting, theyre actually trying to apply wingchun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

shane9689 wrote: »
    I atleast give them credit for actually trying it out in sparring though, alot of these "martial arts" tend to never spar (because they know their **** doesnt work).

That wasn't sparring. The guy in green threw zero kicks, in fact all he threw was a series of single crap jabs. Even when the opponent didn't block his jab missed.
    Any sort of combo would have been a lot more effective.

There was a Wing Chun fighter in an early UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Mellor wrote: »
    That wasn't sparring. The guy in green threw zero kicks, in fact all he threw was a series of single crap jabs. Even when the opponent didn't block his jab missed.
    Any sort of combo would have been a lot more effective.

There was a Wing Chun fighter in an early UFC

Well, ofcourse once you add grappling, its done for 10/10 times, just wondering about it in terms of boxing application if it has even a slight bit of merit to it. Although, i was thought that you cant block a punch, you can only deflect it. Hence, wing chun wouldnt work because they try to block punches. thats my assumption anyways

Well, ofcourse once you add grappling, its done for 10/10 times, just wondering about it in terms of boxing application if it has even a slight bit of merit to it. Although, i was thought that you cant block a punch, you can only deflect it. Hence, wing chun wouldnt work because they try to block punches. thats my assumption anyways

As above, if the guy threw combos and kicks instead of single jabs, he's have done much better.

And what do you mean you can't block punches. Of course you block. Blocking is probably the most basic striking defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

hey guys,

I would assume that if they sparred a kick boxer, their "gaurd" would be pretty quickly broken by the force of a regular punch or even easily countered by a simple hook.

Think theres any substance to what their training? I atleast give them credit for actually trying it out in sparring though, alot of these "martial arts" tend to never spar (because they know their **** doesnt work). so thats why i found this interesting, theyre actually trying to apply wingchun

I'd shoot a ****ty single, dump dude on his arse and proceed to grind my shoulder into his face until his arm popped up to try push me off and then rip it out of his shoulder socket.

It's woowoo for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The problem with most traditional Eastern martial arts is that they stopped developing them hundreds of years ago. It's more about protecting the culture and values of the martial art than keeping it current. It's why Judo seems so antiquated and BJJ is a modern response to that, bringing it into the 20th century.(Many people think BJJ is becoming slightly antiquated now) Plenty of people have tried to change things over the years, Bruce Lee was famously shunned by martial arts schools in Hong Kong for deviating from tradition, even though his philosophies like the 5 methods of attack are still perfectly relevant today.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's why Judo seems so antiquated and BJJ is a modern response to that, bringing it into the 20th century.(Many people think BJJ is becoming slightly antiquated now).
    Judo isn't really that much older than BJJ. 130 years old maybe. BJJ is obviously younger, I'm not sure if it's possible to put an exact date on when it became distinct.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Moved to Martial Arts Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Mellor wrote: »
    Judo isn't really that much older than BJJ. 130 years old maybe. BJJ is obviously younger, I'm not sure if it's possible to put an exact date on when it became distinct.

Judo was created in 1882, BJJ around the end of the 1920s I guess, but I agree it's pretty hard to pinpoint the difference because it grew out of Judo groundwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

hey guys,

Ok well last things first.. Sparring is just free practice, its not fighting and doesn't prove a whole lot.. Its only as good, effective and tough as your opponent is willing to go.

If you want to see if your "****" works, compete. Simple as.

I train both Judo & BJJ. Judo is very tough, gets tougher after your green belt because you MUST compete for your blue, brown and black belts. You must compete and win. Going for your black belt you must win 100 points in competition in twelve months, if you're closing on your 100 at the end of the year the pressure is really on. No 100 points at the end of 12 months and you start at zero again ~ so your ''***'' better work.

BJJ is hugely enjoyable but there's a marked difference between those who compete and those who don't. The fighters are trying and training sh*t which works in competition, the club player doesn't reach this point rolling in the club and never competing IMO (others may differ).

I don't compete in BJJ, I'm 50 and tbh I'm tired and beat from Judo competition throughout the year. But what works in BJJ comps works in a Judo comp, both styles are really opposite sides of the same coin. Or to put it another way 'same animal, different mindset'.

403188.jpg

As to the question of substance in the training shown in the OP. I've no experience of that style so I can't speak with the benefit of experience but I'm sure its better than not training, and if the person training it is enjoying it then they'll stick at it, get good at it and they'll always be better 'in a fight' than someone who doesn't train.

And yes, a boxer, kickboxer (full contact) Muay Thai, Sanda etc will probably kick lumps through the guard of the guy in that video.

Advertisement