Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Just after watching the BBC weather forecast for the week ahead on Countryfile and they did say a strong possibility of that low developing into something potentially serious for Sunday.
    They said a lot of weather to go between now and then though.
    They said it's one to watch though.

Definitely not discounting anything yet.

I watched the one at lunchtime, must have updated it since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I watched the one at lunchtime, must have updated it since then

Yea maybe I worded that message wrong.
    Not a strong possibility but a possibility.
    He said we may get a present for Christmas but not a welcome one.

The forecasts would be getting super accurate if they could 100% predict a storm like this seven days out.
    If it's still on the forecast on Wednesday I'd be taking notice. But even then they can veer off their predicted track.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clear blue skies with great visibility here in Castlebar and feeling very nice in Calm conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    A potentially stormy spell of weather is likely later this week and over the Christmas weekend. In particular, Friday looks like bringing stormy weather, with the north and west most at risk, but the details are still uncertain at this stage.

Issued:Monday 19 December 2016 13:00
    Valid:Thursday 22 December 2016 12:00 to Monday 26 December 2016 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan
    Cold overnight with temperatures falling to between 0 and -3, locally -4 degrees Celsius for a time later tonight.

Issued:Monday 19 December 2016 17:00
    Valid:Tuesday 20 December 2016 00:01 to Tuesday 20 December 2016 07:00

Meanwhile its +3.2c and rapidly dropping here in West Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

December a total write off for snow lovers, after things looking so promising through November. The westerly's feed all the way from mid Canada across Europe into most of Russia, this is gonna be a very tough pattern to break, first half of January probably a write off as well. Realistically we have only another 2 months of hope, after the 3rd week of February there's no point looking into the FI for sustained bitter cold and snow.

"Writing off" is the most pessimistic thing, its rather disheartening to read. Why post it other than to wallow in misery? Why is pessimism always seen as realism?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    "Writing off" is the most pessimistic thing, its rather disheartening to read. Why post it other than to wallow in misery? Why is pessimism always seen as realism?

haven't written off the whole winter, just this month and maybe the start of the next! All it takes is a week long easterly to make things right!

Gonzo wrote: »
    haven't written off the whole winter, just this month and maybe the start of the next! All it takes is a week long easterly to make things right!

Well fair enough it doesn't look likely to change in the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't most decent easterlies happened in February? So there's some hope for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Of all the types of weather, snow is the one I dread, so I'm not complaining. As a kid, I loved the thought of snow but once you become a motorist and depend on your car, snow takes on a whole different meaning. Keeping my fingers crossed we'll get by without snow this winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^

well at least a sprinkling on the hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Of all the types of weather, snow is the one I dread, so I'm not complaining. As a kid, I loved the thought of snow but once you become a motorist and depend on your car, snow takes on a whole different meaning. Keeping my fingers crossed we'll get by without snow this winter.

ugrxi3l.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Johnnyjump wrote: »

Being an adult, needing your car and lying snow = DAYS OFF / DAYS BY THE FIRE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

December a total write off for snow lovers, after things looking so promising through November. The westerly's feed all the way from mid Canada across Europe into most of Russia, this is gonna be a very tough pattern to break, first half of January probably a write off as well. Realistically we have only another 2 months of hope, after the 3rd week of February there's no point looking into the FI for sustained bitter cold and snow.

Completely different outlook this morning from the models. The westerlys all the way to the urals are well gone and instead there is high pressure and cold building to the east and signs of blocking to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have seen daffodils with flowers and more with shoots out of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not a very pretty outlook for coldies with this type of ensemble mean at 240hrs :'(

EDM1-240.GIF?20-12

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This month has underlined, that despite the uk met office's new super computer, they still are a long way from nailing long range forecasting.
    It also show how wasteful blocking can be. With the very cold plunge of air over North America in recent days, we are going to pay for that, we always do. I'd love to believe the GFS teaser charts of 12 days time, of the beast from the east coming this way, but unless it becomes a consistent trend and we see it still showing at 48 hours i won't get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

irishgeo wrote: »
    I have seen daffodils with flowers and more with shoots out of the ground.

My daffodils are about 4" high but it's not that unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

vicwatson wrote: »
    My daffodils are about 4" high but it's not that unusual

where abouts are you. spotted these ones in mayo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cloud cover today making one of the shortest days even shorter

I8GhGhR.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

All talking about these dreaded storms over Christmas and this coming weekend. Time to batten down the hatches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    All talking about these dreaded storms over Christmas and this coming weekend. Time to batten down the hatches?

Unlikely to be a big event imho but you can never say with certainty. The further north and west the bigger the potential issue but then again these are parts of the country that see winds like these 10+ times a year.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Coastal regions and high ground of Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    Very windy on Friday: Southerly winds, later west to southwest of 65 to 75 km/h with severe gusts between 100 and 120 km/h.
    Issued:Wednesday 21 December 2016 10:00
    Valid:Friday 23 December 2016 06:00 to Friday 23 December 2016 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Rest of the country
    Very windy on Friday: Southerly winds, later west to southwest of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts between 90 and 110 km/h, strongest on exposed coasts.
    Issued:Wednesday 21 December 2016 10:00
    Valid:Friday 23 December 2016 06:00 to Friday 23 December 2016 18:00

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When you're running out of graduations on your thermometer!

C0MmflBXgAAAAiH.jpg

Surgut, Russia, this morning.

many parts of Greece and even the Greek islands are gonna be sub zero for much of the next few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day here in Kerry after the showers cleared by the afternoon. Breezy on the coast but dropped off as the day went on, feeling cool in the wind.

Camp, Co Kerry. Today at 15.00 approx

iyVTBLj.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

What is the deal be with ferry crossings for Christmas Eve? I see they have cancelled ferry crossings tomorrow but what is the likelihood that the ferry crossings will be cancelled on Saturday?

i find the BBC forecast the most reliable of any and they go with just windy and spells of rain for next weekend, looks a decent week ahead up til then apart from some rain tuesday night

Looking at MT's and other forecasts, it seems the bbc forecast last Sunday was fairly spot on

• Advertisement

Out on the east coast today and it's bloody freezing

Advertisement