Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

ArKl0w wrote: »
    I hear on the grape vine that most of the ecm ensemble members tonight have the jet stream barrelling into the Med from about Jan 5th,mid Atlantic high, ridges to Greenland,highs in Greenland,a high across the middle of Europe,with the only place mobile that our weather can come from being eventually the north east in the form of balls of polar vortices fired in our direction as if lasers in a retro game of space invaders,How's pedigree 6's remaining grass going to survive that under the weight of ensuing white stuff never mind grow at all does anyone know? :p
    I'll believe it when I see it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ArKl0w wrote: »
    I hear on the grape vine that most of the ecm ensemble members tonight have the jet stream barrelling into the Med from about Jan 5th,mid Atlantic high, ridges to Greenland,highs in Greenland,a high across the middle of Europe,with the only place mobile that our weather can come from being eventually the north east in the form of balls of polar vortices fired in our direction as if lasers in a retro game of space invaders,How's pedigree 6's remaining grass going to survive that under the weight of ensuing white stuff never mind grow at all does anyone know? :p

Read on NW that the German met have given a thumbs up to the the cold air spreading west in the next week or 2. Will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Chances of a roaring Atlantic are slimming! Although apocalyptic snowfall is unlikely, it seems guaranteed that we'll at least get a phase of cold frosty weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Chances of a roaring Atlantic are slimming! Although apocalyptic snowfall is unlikely, it seems guaranteed that we'll at least get a phase of cold frosty weather!

I would take that over the mild muck over the last few winters. Once there is no snow on the fifth of January. I have an interview that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met eireann sticking their necks out and going for a short cold snap followed by mild south westerly flow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Met eireann sticking their necks out and going for a short cold snap followed by mild south westerly flow

Yes that because that's what the latest 00Z ecm shows
    They could be right
    However in such uncertainty,that's their biggest downfall
    I've often seen them do a farming forecast Sunday based on an ECM run,only to be ridiculously completely wrong
    Sadly they'll never learn when to stay quiet or rather how to introduce uncertainty into their forecasts
    This week would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Should the current upstream pattern hold, this is the vortex weakened on the Canadian side, and heading more towards Siberia, then any milder flow may well be short lived, as there is less energy going upstream, which increases the chances of developing favourable heights in the Atlantic for Ireland. We are not seeing any strong signal for a raging Atlantic flow anyway. However, it maybe that we end up being too close to any high, and continental Europe gets all the cold in the longer term. As black briar said Met Eireann should be more cautious.

I've posted a chart over on the FI thread but suffice to say,steady as she goes,ducks are rowing up with tonight's ECM but can we keep the foxes away,I'd say so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Both ECM and GFS showing similar output with a few very cold days to start the year. After that a less cold interlude before a reload of deeper cold. The cold to start the year looks nailed on at this stage. After that is still uncertain but encouraging signals and no real sign of a roaring Atlantic returning anytime soon. I always say get the cold in first then the finer details will work themselves out.
    So as it stands plenty to keep us interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Posters here calling for met eireann to be more cautious even allowing for their national remit is wonderful in its irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some interest for New Years Day

IMG_0828.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

pad199207 wrote: »
    Some interest for New Years Day

Some back edge snow with the front slowing down. Certainly interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Posters here calling for met eireann to be more cautious even allowing for their national remit is wonderful in its irony.

In fairness the poster saying this about ME isnt one for hyperbole. Nor is it cautiousness he is criticising, its a perception that ME sometimes parrot the latest ECM run as if its gospel. I think there is an element of truth to that criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

In fairness the poster saying this about ME isnt one for hyperbole. Nor is it cautiousness he is criticising, its a perception that ME sometimes parrot the latest ECM run as if its gospel. I think there is an element of truth to that criticism.

I accept that point entirely actually.

I still think my own point is worth making though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

06z showing significant backedge snow new years morning.
    Met eireann quote last night 'turning cooler new years day'.
    I always thought cool was a term should be used in Summer not when the country is under -8 uppers and it's snowing.
    With a strong northerly wind I would stretch that to FREEZING COLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Let's go it lives up to your name :)

High ground snow (and areas adjacent eg parts of South Dublin) is possible on that front on current output

Looking further ahead,quite an amount and growing in number of ecm ensemble members are gone very cold beyond next week which is probably why Ian Ferguson (UK Met) posted the following,by colder ,he's surely referring to colder than day one or two of January,which is a good sign if it's snow you're looking for? He's not one for veering away from met office guidance

https://twitter.com/fergieweather/status/814407460370968576

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

What a run ....... here is hoping the esp backs it up and we can give 2010 a run for its money 😊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this time around we need something proper, we've had our cold, dry and frosty spell already late autumn and there's been plenty of cold atlantic outbreaks delivering SFA to most of the country over last 6 years. Time for some proper widespread snowy action in the middle of winter when it matters most. We really don't want to add this winter to the long list of dead duck winters that followed 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Lovely charts, but way too far out to be of any substance IMO. Every single significant cold spell forecasted over the last few years has never gotten beyond the 5-7 day mark, we shouldn't let ourselves be led up the garden path again. Not saying it won't happen but I can imagine it being quite a bit less severe than being portrayed here if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Lovely charts, but way too far out to be of any substance IMO. Every single significant cold spell forecasted over the last few years has never gotten beyond the 5-7 day mark, we shouldn't let ourselves be led up the garden path again. Not saying it won't happen but I can imagine it being quite a bit less severe than being portrayed here if it does happen.

That's true. If you adopt that attitude you won't be too disappointed if the holy grail of snow doesn't materialise. However there does seem to be cross model support for cold though still well in FI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

The hyperbole has started again. The charts are pure fantasy. This happens every year and within 2 or 3 days things go belly up. But of course the media picks up on the hype and before you know it there are people going around talking about the 'worst snowstorms in 50 years are on their way'. If the models are in agreement this day next week then maybe we might be onto something but until then it is pure FI.

With respect,there's no hyperbole
    People are only stating what those charts mean if verified
    Umpteen times it said they're in lala land so far

Hyper alright though because there's something interesting to monitor:)

A downgrade likely this afternoon. But how much of a downgrade will it be? It's too big of a cold signal to be dropped so suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

pad199207 wrote: »
    A downgrade upgrade likely this afternoon. But how much of a downgrade upgradewill it be? It's too big of a cold signal to be dropped so suddenly.

:pac:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

06z showing significant backedge snow new years morning.
    Met eireann quote last night 'turning cooler new years day'.
    I always thought cool was a term should be used in Summer not when the country is under -8 uppers and it's snowing.
    With a strong northerly wind I would stretch that to FREEZING COLD!

And what it looks like on a map.

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If this cold spell does get realised,and we get a strong northerly flow at some point, I would dearly love a polar low to develop. it has been quite a while since we had one. the beauty of a polar low is nearly all the country gets a few hours of heavy snow fall out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

If this cold spell does get realised,and we get a strong northerly flow at some point, I would dearly love a polar low to develop. it has been quite a while since we had one. the beauty of a polar low is nearly all the country gets a few hours of heavy snow fall out of it.

Dec 2001 was the last one I believe Nacho still have old photos somewhere. Well overdue something special from the North.

Rrea00120011228.gif

Advertisement