Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GFS 12z bursts the ball, game over for next weekend but I'm sure FI will have more candy soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Villain wrote: »
    GFS 12z bursts the ball, game over for next weekend but I'm sure FI will have more candy soon

Ah well. At least still roughly half a winter left from 14 January until the end of February :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Villain wrote: »

Yes and thats the problem all this FI candy would make ya sick:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Charts or no charts there's always the chance of ninja snow, lets not forget :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I didn't say they did? But 2/3 days ago there was a lot of excitement on here about a 'snow event' tomorrow and criticism of Met eireann for.not going bigger on that view.

You should probably read back the posts you are referencing. Just double checked myself and can confirm they were not about tomorrow at all but were about the wisdom or otherwise of ME saying 3 days ago that it would be mild in a (then) weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You should probably read back the posts you are referencing. Just double checked myself and can confirm they were not about tomorrow at all but were about the wisdom or otherwise of ME saying 3 days ago that it would be mild in a (then) weeks time.

Actually the post below were referencing this weekend.

Quote: JanuarySnowstor
    It looks good nationwide tbh.
    It's one of these situations where reports on the night will reveal all as the rain belt marches south.

As ever it may not happen but there's a strong chance and tine for Met Eireann to smell the coffee

A now cast scenario for sure but i agree i was surprised to read Mt's and Met Eireann's forecasts this morning. I feel chances are decent to see some of the white stuff on the back edge of the front. GFS has been showing this since last night. Even if its all rain a freeze is more or less a given so lethal road conditions to start the year.

Actually the post below were referencing this weekend.

Quote: JanuarySnowstor
    It looks good nationwide tbh.
    It's one of these situations where reports on the night will reveal all as the rain belt marches south.

As ever it may not happen but there's a strong chance and tine for Met Eireann to smell the coffee

A now cast scenario for sure but i agree i was surprised to read Mt's and Met Eireann's forecasts this morning. I feel chances are decent to see some of the white stuff on the back edge of the front. GFS has been showing this since last night. Even if its all rain a freeze is more or less a given so lethal road conditions to start the year.

Apologies. I had a different email exchange in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Did you not advise met eireann to wake up and smell the coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Happy new year folks!
    I'm already looking forward to February,

A big aul high meandering from Nw Ireland to Brittany for a few weeks
    At least it's better than rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Happy New Year too guys.....

Here is too another year of weather rollercoaster's and fun and games along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The science of weather - Model watching, interpretation, sticking your neck out and offering an opinion is what this forum is all about.

Thanks to everyone who contributes and Happy New Year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

That was a guy with snow and storm in his name. Your opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Happy new year to all. Yes I'm incredibly grumpy and down today about the no- show 'beast from the east'. But I will pick myself up and battle on as I always do. On the plus side at least half the country is not flooded and the winter so far has been very benign. But just 3 days of snow is all I want.... we will see what February brings. Here's to hoepfully more exciting weather in 2017.

Nope. I actually didnt post anything at all about the potential (or otherwise) for snow on 1 / 2 January.

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Happy new year to all. Yes I'm incredibly grumpy and down today about the no- show 'beast from the east'. But I will pick myself up and battle on as I always do. On the plus side at least half the country is not flooded and the winter so far has been very benign. But just 3 days of snow is all I want.... we will see what February brings. Here's to hoepfully more exciting weather in 2017.

Have a happy New Year! For some people these short, bleak days after Christmas can be depressing. SAD affects many people. But regardless of whether we get some snow or not to brighten things up the 14th February will come soon enough when scientifically our moods lift again with the brighter days :) None of us are immune to that post Christmas slump and I hope you feel more cheerful soon :) And as a lot of people on here have said we still have some hope for the second half of January and February:)

I'd like to wish all on here a Very Happy New Year:)

I hope all the little and big things in life go everybody's way in 2017:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain from the front has reached here near Tralee a short time ago, 1.4mm so far, amounts not set to be huge, and then what will travel behind it ? A few snow/ wintry showers on hills and mountains perhaps, I would be expecting some white mountain tops tomorrow morning. Happy new year to all !!

wEIaW6z.png

L8lkNiK.png

hq72N8D.png

GBQRJTo.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy shot of rain in Tralee now

PSB23TD.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I received a very polite request from Pedigree 6 for me to post some photos from back in November when I had a little sprinkling of the white stuff, well I cannot refuse so here you go.

This was 18 Nov, it lay for 8 days and finally the last disappeared on the 26th.

IMG_20161118_080140_zpsohix1u46.jpg

IMG_20161118_080116_zpsreqosipf.jpg

IMG_20161118_075320_zpsmettvraf.jpg

IMG_20161118_074619_zpsbuxnykdt.jpg

IMG_20161118_074704_zpspnhkylkx.jpg

I'm sure we will all be seeing lots of this white stuff in the weeks ahead so chin up everyone and don't take FI too seriously!

Happy new year to all weather anoraks :pac:

( Sorry that the pics are a little to large.)

I received a very polite request from Pedigree 6 for me to post some photos from back in November when I had a little sprinkling of the white stuff, well I cannot refuse so here you go.

This was 18 Nov, it lay for 8 days and finally the last disappeared on the 26th.

I'm sure we will all be seeing lots of this white stuff in the weeks ahead so chin up everyone and don't take FI too seriously!

Lovely pics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Where in the country was that?

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Where in the country was that?

South east co. Sligo, high ground near the Leitrim and Roscommon borders, aka back of beyond:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stop quoting the fecking pics :)

Anything today up there mountain man?

Not as yet, dew point just gone negative so anything could happen. There's a good few showers coming in on the radar so we sit and wait and see if any of them hit, the high peaks in Donegal and Mayo should look festive by morning from what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Woke at around 5 am to the sound of deluges and rattling pipes etc that a north wind brings, then the growling of the wind...

First thought was that I had left the washing out :rolleyes:

Waiting for daylight to see where it has migrated to....should be interesting ;)

What irks some of is re snowmania is just that. Seeing ANY weather or lack thereof as a disaster and being upset of the snow does not come..

Wild out there now....

Light hail showers here near Arklow in a biting Northeasterly
    Currently 3.9c

Small pellets hitting my head just now from this tiny yoke
    You can see the stream of hail falling from its centre
    Photo is looking East towards the coast from the Arklow bypass

Some sleety flakes in the current hail shower down here now
    All too light but interesting

nagdefy wrote: »
    Have a happy New Year! For some people these short, bleak days after Christmas can be depressing. SAD affects many people. But regardless of whether we get some snow or not to brighten things up the 14th February will come soon enough when scientifically our moods lift again with the brighter days :) None of us are immune to that post Christmas slump and I hope you feel more cheerful soon :) And as a lot of people on here have said we still have some hope for the second half of January and February:)

Small word of hope re SAD.. It is defeated on the shortest day... Mine starts in AUgust and I know that after that day, the wheel is turning upwards,.
    Folk get exhausted after Christmas!

• Advertisement

That is a mean... and breathtaking wind. what they call a lazy wind.. Took some rubbish out to the shed and all but blown over.,.. SHIVERS

BUT!!! There is a definite but miniscule hint of white atop the northerly peaks. Nothing to the west. Just the north..

A cold inhospitable day out there but utterly magnificent cloudscapes...

Advertisement