Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not many showers making it across Ireland atm except for the NW and N and clipping the SE and E coast ( nice bit of snow in Scotland )

beUVXNt.gif?1

NWvqxzA.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how come the UK always a big dose and we never do:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fryup wrote: »
    how come the UK always a big dose and we never do:(

were not missing out on much, looks to be a high ground event in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

but generally speaking they do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I am thinking January to be rather cool overall with a colder interval in the second half and the 1st half continuing on from December with anticyclonic mild conditions. Similar to 1946/47 really BUT nowhere NEAR that cold level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Heavy driving squally sleety hail graupel shower here now,longest so far
    Wind is howling and biting from the northeast all morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Heavy driving squally sleety hail graupel shower here now,longest so far
    Wind is howling and biting from the northeast all morning

I'm near Greystones and have been watching the dark clouds over the mountains the last couple hours, going by the me radar there's been a stream of showers over the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I'd say lug is getting a little dusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

pad199207 wrote: »
    I'd say lug is getting a little dusting

I can't see it now due to low cloud but it was already white early this morning presumably from the back edge of the rain
    Ongoing small bursts of hail here
    If there's still colder air overnight,these coast huggers might get even more interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

but generally speaking they do

Because they are further east and less moderated by the Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice bright evening in Kerry at 17.16. The crescent Moon and Venus looking well together.

xay07Tn.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Wow!! two thirds of winter written off on the 2nd December!!
    Yep!! I'm now writing off the second third of winter!
    We haven't budged an inch since Dec 2nd. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2016/brack/bracka20161202.gif ... a sinker stinker of a winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

We haven't budged an inch since Dec 2nd. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2016/brack/bracka20161202.gif ... a sinker stinker of a winter!

You said we would have mobile westerlies and wet weather which was wrong.
    You had a Lucky guess on us not getting any cold weather.
    Still two thirds to go!!

While it sure has been a huge disappointment given the mild anticyclonic conditions, I disagree with you saying it's been a stinker of a Winter so far. This Winter so far has been one of my favourites despite the disappointment. People may find it is a very unremarkable and bland Winter so far but in my opinion, it has been very interesting how it has been very anticyclonic yet mild which we have not seen in Winter since 2005/06 but even that wasn't as mild as now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

The grandchildren visited today. I could barely look them in the eyes when I had to tell them that no snow is coming. I said to them a few days ago that we might be able to go up on the nearby hill with the sled as there was snow forecast. Neither have seen proper snow as they were toddlers living in Australia in 2010. My heart sank. And with January as good as written off, it only leaves February to deliver. I don't consider March a month with much snow potential as it takes exceptional cold to allow snow to lie all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

best winter ever dry and cool and able to do stuff. nice one.

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    The grandchildren visited today. I could barely look them in the eyes when I had to tell them that no snow is coming. I said to them a few days ago that we might be able to go up on the nearby hill with the sled as there was snow forecast. Neither have seen proper snow as they were toddlers living in Australia in 2010. My heart sank. And with January as good as written off, it only leaves February to deliver. I don't consider March a month with much snow potential as it takes exceptional cold to allow snow to lie all day.

BUT it's more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas which in other cases means it's more likely to snow in March than December. Is it just me or has February never delivered (well since 1947) some significant snowfall? Or did February 1963 also bring significant snowfall? I thought February 1963 was all about the extreme cold but please do correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Went out the back to get in some of the left over beer.

Cold and wet out. The air smells of snow.

Keep the faith lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    BUT it's more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas which in other cases means it's more likely to snow in March than December. Is it just me or has February never delivered (well since 1947) some significant snowfall? Or did February 1963 also bring significant snowfall? I thought February 1963 was all about the extreme cold but please do correct me.

1962/63 had falls all the way from NYE 62 to early March. Snow fell in February but nothing like 47.

1991 had decent snowfall in the east especially, February 6th to February 10th. 1986 had freezing temps. The coldest month between 1963 and December 2010 with a little snow. The most recent decent February snowfall was 2nd February to 5th February 2009. It was borderline for lower ground but at home it lay until 23rd February. Also the last week of February 2010 brought snow to many parts of Ireland.

Late Feb 2005 brought hill snow during the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

fraxinus1 wrote: »

Who forecast snow though? Today was the coldest day in a while real bite to the wind but lovely and bright and dry. More of the same please this month is hard enough without the extra worry of bad weather. Looks like a few mice days up to Thursday.

• Advertisement

But you really have to go back to a week of the 'beast from the east' early February to have decent countrywide February snowfall. Eddie Graham's Dublin Weather diary accounts some record breaking cold temps with frost after snowfall in the south Dublin suburbs during that cold spell. I have that saved on my pc, great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

My son was born on Feb 12th 2009. There was still snow on the ground from a heavy snowfall a week earlier. There is a thread here on boards about it with some great pictures...

nagdefy wrote: »
    1962/63 had falls all the way from NYE 62 to early March. Snow fell in February but nothing like 47.

1991 had decent snowfall in the east especially, February 6th to February 10th. 1986 had freezing temps. The coldest month between 1963 and December 2010 with a little snow. The most recent decent February snowfall was 2nd February to 5th February 2009. It was borderline for lower ground but at home it lay until 23rd February. Also the last week of February 2010 brought snow to many parts of Ireland.

Late Feb 2005 brought hill snow during the last week.

Late February 2005 brought snow? Mmmmm, very interesting. You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Late February 2005 brought snow? Mmmmm, very interesting. You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Yes and Dublin rush hour traffic was brought to a standstill with a snowfall on 1st March 2005 :) I remember it well. Thawed by afternoon.

Does anyone know how to attach a word document? It's Clonskeagh data, Eddie Graham's diary and a great read, covers 1960s til the early 90s. Especially for Dublin posters.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Yes and Dublin rush hour traffic was brought to a standstill with a snowfall on 1st March 2005 :) I remember it well. Thawed by afternoon.

Does anyone know how to attach a word document? It's Clonskeagh data, Eddie Graham's diary and a great read, covers 1960s til the early 90s. Especially for Dublin posters.

I really have a lot more to learn about 2005 :D. In my understanding, it was a pretty forgettable year but you're making me intrigued to research it.

I really have a lot more to learn about 2005 :D. In my understanding, it was a pretty forgettable year but you're making me intrigued to research it.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2005-Feb.pdf

The first page tells about the last week of February.

Lovely July weather that year, 26-29C, mid month and warm overall. Though plenty of rain too in hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

The only memories of 2005 I have weatherwise was a week of snow showers in January. Snow on the ground in the morning melted by midday kinda thing.
    November 25th we had 3 inches of snow on the ground in Kildare. Was the earliest decent snowfall I'd experienced.

This diary is no longer on the web. A Dublin guy from Clonskeagh who emmigrated to Canada (not M.T.!).

It's quite Dublin specific but a great read. Hope it's attached!

pad199207 wrote: »
    The only memories of 2005 I have weatherwise was a week of snow showers in January. Snow on the ground in the morning melted by midday kinda thing.
    November 25th we had 3 inches of snow on the ground in Kildare. Was the earliest decent snowfall I'd experienced.

January brought snow showers on north westerlies around mid month that melted quickly as you say.

The last week of February was a more sustained cold from the north. It stayed on high ground and on lower ground for lesser periods. But 1st March snowfall on the roads into Dublin made the first item of 6pm news!

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    My son was born on Feb 12th 2009. There was still snow on the ground from a heavy snowfall a week earlier. There is a thread here on boards about it with some great pictures...

The early February 2009 wintry spell was interesting. 5 days before it the models looked like the Atlantic dominating all the way and then they all just flipped to an easterly! So it just goes to show that we can't write off large chunks of time to mildness.

Rrea00120090202.gif

Advertisement