Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Roused early by the cats jumping on me as they were cold and hungry...Last night was so noisy with the wind. Quite scary at times....

Sat up knitting and reading in bed a while, listening to the ranting and roaring

Now from the east they say and a hard frost ,but still dark out there so we shall see.

Sure enough the back northerly mountain that peeps out between the nearer ones is pure solid white... Again nothing on the westerly ones which is unusual

Will miss these mountains.... they have been part of my life for well over 4 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice frost here this morning, not thawing in any shade. Daffodils are pushing out through the frosty soil, with pleasant heat from the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

nagdefy wrote: »
    The early February 2009 wintry spell was interesting. 5 days before it the models looked like the Atlantic dominating all the way and then they all just flipped to an easterly! So it just goes to show that we can't write off large chunks of time to mildness.

Rrea00120090202.gif

I think that was due to an ssw event a few weeks earlier. perhaps that's what we need again, as this current pattern just keeps failing short, with all the snowy cold going to the continent. Anyone writing off the rest of winter this early is being silly, February, as the document you posted earlier shows, is often our best month for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Tickityboo wrote: »
    You said we would have mobile westerlies and wet weather which was wrong.
    You had a Lucky guess on us not getting any cold weather.
    Still two thirds to go!!
    Yes you're correct, its not as wet as I thought it would be but I did continuously say this would be a winter dominated by MLB/sinking highs (a sinker stinker!) which is exactly whats happening.
    If anyone can see any hope from this I can only admire their optimism.

UW144-21.GIF?02-17

This has ....... "potential" .... but at +144 it ends exactly like the above chart from the UKMO. See what I mean by a sinker stinker!!

ECM1-72.GIF?02-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I know it's not great weather for the snow bunnies in this country.
    But spare a thought for people in southeastern Europe where it looks like some records could be broken this week with extreme cold and snow forecast.
    It's giving it so cold that I wouldn't be surprised if there will be casualties attributed to the weather.

But here the weather has been unusual in that it is mild and dry, compared with winter last year being mild and wet. Hopefully the dry weather continues ( I don't think we will have to worry about a drought in this country):p.
    It's welcome anyway.:)
    There might not be many farmers on the weather forum on boards.
    But I was out yesterday walking the land and it has been the best winter for grass growth I can remember.
    Picture of field.

2017_01_01_16.jpg
    Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I know it's not great weather for the snow bunnies in this country.
    But spare a thought for people in southeastern Europe where it looks like some records could be broken this week with extreme cold and snow forecast.
    It's giving it so cold that I wouldn't be surprised if there will be casualties attributed to the weather.

But here the weather has been unusual in that it is mild and dry, compared with winter last year being mild and wet. Hopefully the dry weather continues ( I don't think we will have to worry about a drought in this country):p.
    It's welcome anyway.:)
    There might not be many farmers on the weather forum on boards.
    But I was out yesterday walking the land and it has been the best winter for grass growth I can remember.
    Picture of field.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Yep, I love this anticyclonic weather. Now sure, I would much prefer cold anticyclonic weather considering it's Winter but hey, mild and dry weather is still 10x better than mild and wet or cold and wet. I think Winter 2005/06 (which ironically / coincidentally had the same calendar as this Winter, just thought that'd be fun to point out) was the last Winter with similar weather taking place as that Winter was rather mild but mostly anticyclonic. December started off very wet, especially on the 2nd and 7th but then became rather anticyclonic during much of the month. January was a mix really but there were many, many dry days with the east here having an unusually dry January. February was wet mid-month but other than that, it was mostly dry again. Do you think there's a similarity going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Any snow?

Of course not, this is Ireland where we have the blandness of bland every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-1.1c here in West Clare, nice frost out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

JCX BXC wrote: »

Same temp here now
    It's a bad state of affairs under supposed polar air under clear skies on Jan 2nd,that it's such a job to go even a degree or two below zero by 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-3.2c in my frost hollow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Maybe this should be in the FI thread or maybe in it's own thread but anyway i'll ask the question here.

Does warm air flowing into an anticyclonic system (high pressure) strengthen the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ArKl0w wrote: »
    JCX BXC wrote: »

Same temp here now
    It's a bad state of affairs under supposed polar air under clear skies on Jan 2nd,that it's such a job to go even a degree or two below zero by 9pm

I'll still take it! -1.6c out now, I don't envy anyone commuting to work tomorrow.

Personally here in West Clare temperatures always struggled to get low, last year was probably the least frosty winter I'd ever encountered.

I would enjoy some severely cold weather though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Staying just above freezing here at 1.0c, Must be my location but on nights like this temps always flatten out until 10 or 11pm. It will be interesting to see how low we go.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Not sure what temp, but local roads fairly slippy already (East Meath).

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Maybe this should be in the FI thread or maybe in it's own thread but anyway i'll ask the question here.

Does warm air flowing into an anticyclonic system (high pressure) strengthen the system?
    Yes
    Warm air advection (WAA) into it

Generally speaking when winter is diverted into Greece and Turkey,it doesn't come here for a good long while

https://twitter.com/severeweathereu/status/816024973055852544

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

-2 in North Clare, hopefully I'll get up early and enjoy a brisk walk through one of the valleys in the Burren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Drove from home to Portlaoise, 24 miles away. Temperatures on the car ranging from -1C to -3.5C in the frost hollows. Hard frost for relatively early in the night but i suspect it'll reach a trough at midnight, -4C or so.

Chill and still and blessedly quiet.... Hoping it will milden today. But the silence is sheer bliss and rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Went to bed and the temperature was -1.4C outside, got up and it was 0.5C and most of the frost had already melted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Frosty morning here with a min of -0.8c recorded.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Even to get a full nights frost seems to be a struggle this winter

pad199207 wrote: »
    Even to get a full nights frost seems to be a struggle this winter

Killarney road thermometer was down to -6 c around 5am
    Macroom was -4c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

-5 North Cork at 6am and still - 5 at 9am

Yeah,the furthest south this time the harder the frost
    Still -1c here ,frost and frozen ground in evidence

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Killarney road thermometer was down to -6 c around 5am
    Macroom was -4c

Ouch. The fields here , are white with frost. Each blade of grass..outlined in white

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Here on the coast neat Tralee Got as low as -4.7C

Was -3.1C at 8.45

Fantastic day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Frost was gone here this morning, grey cloud overhead, still cold at 2* but no white anywhere.
    Its at 4*now, chilly but dry with the sun peeping occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Here in Poland we are being warned of an incoming "Siberian storm" that's due to arrive from tonight. Expected 100km winds, 50cm snow and after storm has passed -25c.
    Already have a good 15cm snow lying.

Advertisement