Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

snaps wrote: »
    Here in Poland we are being warned of an incoming "Siberian storm" that's due to arrive from tonight. Expected 100km winds, 50cm snow and after storm has passed -25c.
    Already have a good 15cm snow lying.

:eek:

Keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here in Poland we are being warned of an incoming "Siberian storm" that's due to arrive from tonight. Expected 100km winds, 50cm snow and after storm has passed -25c.

Please stay safe,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I can't wait for the photos snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    SyranBruens Winter 2016/2017 Forecast: Since he is not allowed to post it himself, I thought I would do him the honours:

"So I am ready to give my 1st Christmas 2016 update and I'm also going to interpret December and January into it. I said that December will be a cold month and yes I have not changed my mind since then on that prediction. There are many factors and reasons going towards a cold December, including lack of sunspots, lack of solar activity, -NAO, -AO etc. December will likely start off settled at this stage (this is my own theories / predictions here, not what the models are showing though me and the models have good agreements right now). THEN during the second week, an easterly wind will take place with potential very cold conditions. It will be the coldest spell since December 2010 and even colder than March 2013. December will continue VERY DRY and settled with this easterly wind but a low pressure looks like pushing in from the North Sea in England towards the latter half of the period (around 15th-16th). This will certainly bring snowfall if it reaches our shores or even be as cold as expected. This cold spell does not last at all though as you would expect. I said December to be a cold month BUT that was overall which shows this cold spell as very significant right now.

Towards the Christmas period then on, I'm afraid I have very bad news. The jet stream looks like being powered up VERY, VERY POWERFUL with quite a nasty, vicious explosive cyclogenesis taking place before Christmas, maybe something like the Christmas Eve storm of 1997 or St. Stephen's Day storm of 1998. Christmas Eve will bring another potent storm I'm afraid by the looks of things. Christmas Day itself is looking rather indifferent with very strong winds, northwesterlies and sunshine and showers. The rest of December is looking stormy with storm after storm after storm BUT even saying that, not even that mild which is unusual. I REALLY HOPE I'M WRONG! (but as you can see with my 2016 predictions, I've only gotten a couple of things wrong) Then we change the year, does that change the weather? YES it most certainly does with early January looking quite cold and very settled. I am predicting this exceptionally stormy second half to December because October (in most parts at least) was very settled and start of November is not looking too bad at all in terms of settled weather - also the start of December is looking very settled and ya know, nature has a very funny way of evening things out. Thus with all this settled weather, a very stormy period".

Well I'm not totally wrong! I said a stormy Christmas and a change of feels at the start of the New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well I'm not totally wrong! I said a stormy Christmas and a change of feels at the start of the New Year!

It wasn't a stormy christmas, even my garden lights didn't get blown over.
    Nothing like 1997 or 1998.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a stormy christmas, even my garden lights didn't get blown over.
    Nothing like 1997 or 1998.

It was in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It was in Scotland.
    but were not in Scotland:D

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    but were not in Scotland:D

I know :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some people have all the luck:( I am wondering do you like snow as much as you use to? It must be strange if you are back here and you see some snow on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looks like extreme cold for the whole of East and South East Europe for the coming week, the same system that last week looked as if it might give us a direct hit.

I seem to remember a few years ago Italy and the Balkans had a massive snowstorm from a system not too dissimilar to current charts, some of the images then were crazy with houses barely visible under the snow. Hopefully not quite as extreme this time around though from snaps report is going to be a tough few days, stay safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

There seems to be problems with boards. My posts are not showing and I keep getting oops there's an error with a server.....
    Also sorry for double posts.

Wind howling now, snow drifting over our 1.5km access road to house. Luckily I'm home in time.
    Bought extra diesel for the tractor/snow plough. Checked and tightened the snow chains on the old girl (tractor).
    Radar showing massive precipitation now heading down.
    We will see what the morning brings.
    The weather actually been making the news here tonight!

405338.png

Sea level pressure midday tomorrow

405337.png

Nice cold 850 temps Friday!

For anyone interested a few years back I posted some photos:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057091286

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Have you place for a few lodgers over there for a couple of weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

This is the northeasterly that we wanted
    It shows the awesome power of a high to advect cold
    All that blue and purple could have been ours if our high went NW instead of SE
    Ah well...

https://twitter.com/severeweathereu/status/816398924315553792

Not as bad as I thought this morning, I think our saviour has been the very strong wind that storm Alexi (named by German met office) has brought.

Yes we are snowed in behind 1m+ drifts, but I've managed to get my eldest son to school, as far as I could by tractor then he was able to walk to a friend's in the village.

Just waiting for some help from neighbours who have more powerful tractors to clear the drifts.

I've some photos, but can't seem how to post on mobile

Some photos.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Im raging! we were there for the weekend and just left Monday night. Was hoping for snow but didnt see any. Just missed it...........

snowgal wrote: »
    Im raging! we were there for the weekend and just left Monday night. Was hoping for snow but didnt see any. Just missed it...........

Snaps lives in the mountains though
    The likes of Krakow or Warsaw probably didn't receive the colour of that much snow!

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Snaps lives in the mountains though
    The likes of Krakow or Warsaw probably didn't receive the colour of that much snow!

I heard Krakow has, but also didn't have the strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have a friend in Krakow posting on facebook today about the snow they've had and then the strong winds and sleet last night. They're expecting more in the coming days.

The Krakow Airport TAF (Aviation weather forecast) Certainly backs this up, from 11 today until 11 tonight it's forecasting winds gusting to 35kts with Showers of Snow, Blowing snow and low drifting snow.

After 11 there is just a forecast of snow with lesser winds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So it snows in Poland in the winter - I'm not that turned on by this tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is the northeasterly that we wanted
    It shows the awesome power of a high to advect cold
    All that blue and purple could have been ours if our high went NW instead of SE
    Ah well...

https://twitter.com/severeweathereu/status/816398924315553792

Your chart does hold out the promise of a decent polar maritime incursion in fi, but i suppose you don't mention that because from your perspective an easterly or north easterly is preferable. i think its nearly time to give up on a sustained cold outbreak from these quarters, as it seems more of the same in the weeks ahead with the high just being too close by to us to deliver that way. Meanwhile the uk met office seems to be going for a mobile regime in late January, so it could well be February, which is usually when the Atlantic goes quiet, will be active this year. perhaps if the jet aligns in a nw- se axis, we could tap into a decent northern toppler or two in a more mobile pattern.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this is shaping up to be a classic winter with most of Europe in the freezer for most of January while Ireland will be enjoying damp, mild atlantic muck. Very little for us to get excited about up to the end of the month, maybe a quick 24 hour north westerly at some point. Then just one more month to play for. Hopefully a sudden change to something easterly will arise out of nowhere because this winter is looking all too familiar to most of the terrible winters we've had since 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mild Atlantic muck? Ahm...No.

We seem to be caught in the middle of the two

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Gonzo wrote: »
    this is shaping up to be a classic winter with most of Europe in the freezer for most of January while Ireland will be enjoying damp, mild atlantic muck. Very little for us to get excited about up to the end of the month, maybe a quick 24 hour north westerly at some point. Then just one more month to play for. Hopefully a sudden change to something easterly will arise out of nowhere because this winter is looking all too familiar to most of the terrible winters we've had since 1991.

It now looks to me we have a new West Atlantic Bartlett Pattern.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Mild Atlantic muck? Ahm...No.

We seem to be caught in the middle of the two

the next few days from tomorrow will be damp, often wet and temps in double figures till Monday.

Your chart does hold out the promise of a decent polar maritime incursion in fi, but i suppose you don't mention that because from your perspective an easterly or north easterly is preferable. i think its nearly time to give up on a sustained cold outbreak from these quarters, as it seems more of the same in the weeks ahead with the high just being too close by to us to deliver that way. Meanwhile the uk met office seems to be going for a mobile regime in late January, so it could well be February, which is usually when the Atlantic goes quiet, will be active this year. perhaps if the jet aligns in a nw- se axis, we could tap into a decent northern toppler or two in a more mobile pattern.
    I did mention it in the FI thread yesterday but it's polar maratime at best so cold rain unless you live on top of a mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I did mention it in the FI thread yesterday but it's polar maratime at best so cold rain unless you live on top of a mountain

Well thanks. so what do we mountain dwellers get? Dare not think!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'll take any extreme weather, so long as its interesting, unfortunate to see nothing but dank in our immediate future. An auld named storm or a hoar frost or something would at least be remarkable, but its that inert murky, mucky, dank that gets people down. Fingers crossed for the +168 indicators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I meet a neighbour out walking today and he is in his late 80s. He reckons all the signs are for the rest of the winter to be calm and mild. This will lead into a wet and cold April which will be stormy. I know we aren't supposed to take heed of weather lore and signs but I thought it an interesting outlook. He is renowned for getting it right. With January a write off regarding snow, frost and wind (thankfully), this fits in with his predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Though in fairness today was a beautiful day here especially around noon when the sunshine came out. Mild and calm and the birds singing and calling loudly

Advertisement