Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this happens nearly every winter, were more than a 1/3rd of way through the Winter and not a snowflake in sight. People get angry and thoughts of 'it's over' can happen very quickly. I'll admit this winter has so far been a massive disappointment after the excellent Autumn and very hopeful forecasts were made just before the Atlantic turned on us. But, this winter so far at least has been relatively dry and mild, there is not much point in cold if it's just going to end up raining or a sleety mess. Dry and mild is about the best outcome if cold and snow is not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    this happens nearly every winter, were more than a 1/3rd of way through the Winter and not a snowflake in sight. People get angry and thoughts of 'it's over' can happen very quickly. I'll admit this winter has so far been a massive disappointment after the excellent Autumn and very hopeful forecasts were made just before the Atlantic turned on us. But, this winter so far at least has been relatively dry and mild, there is not much point in cold if it's just going to end up raining or a sleety mess. Dry and mild is about the best outcome if cold and snow is not happening.

Yep the same every winter and much as we say well, you need to go eg to Poland ;)
    I used to get mad especially when snowed in and no help but then a boardsie or three did come and help and it was fine...

Each to his/her own... all very quiet up here as I close down... enjoy whatever comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

MJohnston wrote: »
    W they have an allergic reaction to data analysis, with uncertainty or probabilities.

Totally with you on all of that post. You should read a book call "Black box thinking" if you get a chance. It walks through why people will fight the real hard data that is staring them straight in the face, warping it to fit their bias or agenda and the reasons behind it in many industry's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Anyway
    Meanwhile
    The always a bridesmaid never a bride FI charts are currently pointing towards a wintry showers scenario next weekend with a probability of wet snow on high ground at night in the north
    It's all very exciting,I can't contain myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Anyway
    Meanwhile
    The always a bridesmaid never a bride FI charts are currently pointing towards a wintry showers scenario next weekend with a probability of wet snow on high ground at night in the north
    It's all very exciting,I can't contain myself

Yeah I'm not getting hyped at all. It will go away in a few days time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like nice heavy rain heading towards North Clare.

It's been such a dry winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Here in Doolin and it's blowing a strong Easterly...... Getting cold too

No rain yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I'm up getting the solid fuel central heating fired up.
    It's a cold one here, -21 which will keep you on your toes.
    I measured the snow in a sheltered spot yesterday and it averages around 38cm around our house.
    Higher up at 1020m the hostel on the mountain track is reporting over 60cm+.

It looks like the cold is going to stay around for a while in these parts, with more snow coming from Sunday.

It's three kings holiday today and this weekend, I was going to go skiing, but we decided it's far too cold to go today (forecast max of -15).

Sorry if my Posts about weather in Poland is off topic and bores you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snaps wrote: »
    Sorry if my Posts about weather in Poland is off topic and bores you.

Not at all!

Keep them coming and just remember a picture can tell a thousand words. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been awake listening perforce to heavy rain pounding on the roof since 2 am and it is still at it... and I have to go out ... sigh! No coal... lHope the roads are clear..... they say it will ease later .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A more seasonal/wintry outlook this morning from Met E for mid next week (on)....

Thursday to Saturday (inclusive): Early indications suggest that it will be very cold and windy, with a mix of bright or sunny spells and showers, some of the showers falling as hail, sleet and snow, especially in the northern half of the country, with a risk of thunder also. On Thursday, there is a risk of more persistent rain and sleet for a time, with hill snow, especialy in the southern half of the country and there is a small risk of more persistent rain, sleet and snow moving in from the west and northwest later Friday. Frost will occur at night, especially in areas sheltered from the strong west to northwest winds.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not at all!

Keep them coming and just remember a picture can tell a thousand words. ;)

Here's a few more......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A more seasonal/wintry outlook this morning from Met E for mid next week (on)....

Thursday to Saturday (inclusive): Early indications suggest that it will be very cold and windy, with a mix of bright or sunny spells and showers, some of the showers falling as hail, sleet and snow, especially in the northern half of the country, with a risk of thunder also. On Thursday, there is a risk of more persistent rain and sleet for a time, with hill snow, especialy in the southern half of the country and there is a small risk of more persistent rain, sleet and snow moving in from the west and northwest later Friday. Frost will occur at night, especially in areas sheltered from the strong west to northwest winds.

Its nice when its ME doing the ramping themselves! Fingers crossed this turns into something. Quite far shead for ME to be forecasting actually.

-19 here approaching midday. You know it's cold outside when the windows are iced over!

Its nice when its ME doing the ramping themselves! Fingers crossed this turns into something. Quite far shead for ME to be forecasting actually.

Or it's what's on the latest ecm that they've used
    They'd have no problem forecasting volcanic eruptions if that's what suddenly appeared
    It's a crazy system but it usually works for them as the ECM is never far from the truth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A good idea but then the opposition, the snow hater scoundrels, will also want a change in the minister for weather. You see you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    The poster message was a lie:(

The UK Met Office long range forecast for this winter has been wrong thus far, but I have a feeling the second half of their forecast( late January to the end of February) will be right.

from now on i'm not gonna bother reading winter long range forecasts anymore, they really got it wrong this year, didn't they issue a very cold December and January just the week before it turned mild.

The internet has kinda spoiled hoping for snow!. Back in the late 80s and early to mid 90's there was no internet or charts for us to look at, instead I used to rely on the words of Ian McCaskill for an incoming beast from the east and get very excited once he ramped it!

Don't then, we respect your decision.

What do people want to happen here? Do they want to ban certain things being said? The long range forecast was wrong, it happens, and weather by its nature is hard to predict.

Don't throw all your toys out of the basket because it doesn't go your way.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Don't then, we respect your decision.

What do people want to happen here? Do they want to ban certain things being said? The long range forecast was wrong, it happens, and weather by its nature is hard to predict.

Don't throw all your toys out of the basket because it doesn't go your way.

im not really throwing toys, we've had far worse winter than this when it rains every day. I'm more referring to back in the day we had no internet or charts, with just the weather on BBC or RTE we never really knew what was gonna happen more than 2 maybe 3 days ahead and the hope for snow was always there. Now with the internet and charts we all have a rough idea how anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks ahead can pan out, some times it doesnt always work out but there was more magic back in the day when 3 days ahead wasn't even written yet!

I find more excitement in the build up, seeing the events that two weeks out are the same 3 days out.

Of course everyones different, but I think this forum has seen enough long range bashing. It's rather constant, although you're not the main offender Gonzo.

Dense Fog here in West Clare at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

its a very gloomy dull winters day but at least no travel disruption so we can all get to and from work etc safely. More of the same would be great.

its a very gloomy dull winters day but at least no travel disruption so we can all get to and from work etc safely. More of the same would be great.

Disagree, less of the same. It's boring and repetitive. Life is boring enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Depends on you're outlook I suppose. For those of us needing to travel long distances and be out and about severe cold or any severe weather is most unwelcome. Snow was great when we were kids but in the real adult world most of us live in it's a bloody inconvenience we could do without. There's a silent majority enjoying the benign weather I'd imagine.

Depends on you're outlook I suppose. For those of us needing to travel long distances and be out and about severe cold or any severe weather is most unwelcome. Snow was great when we were kids but in the real adult world most of us live in it's a bloody inconvenience we could do without. There's a silent majority enjoying the benign weather I'd imagine.
    Fishing for likes ? :p

Nothing better than travelling up to Limerick with the frozen roads and snow first thing in the morning!

Nice suttle jabs in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It's an inconvenience yes, but it's also a rarity and something to enjoy when it does happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's the inconvenience that I enjoy to be honest - a break from the tedious routine of work!

pouring rain and very mild here. Dark and dreary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's the inconvenience that I enjoy to be honest - a break from the tedious routine of work!

Exactly! Some people seem incapable of enjoying the curveballs life throws at them. (Not a dig at you Gonzo!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's an inconvenience yes, but it's also a rarity and something to enjoy when it does happen!

As I remember it from my Inter (gulp) Cert......
    "If all the year were playing holidays, To sport would be as tedious as to work; But when they seldom come, they wish'd for come, And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents..."

Advertisement