Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Awful day out there, first awful day since December 14th here. I don't think there is anything to enjoy about today :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The drive to Killarney was ... spot flooding and fog. Deluging all the way, and the water gushing off the mountains across the road...

Back to fog in places and some fascinating cloud scapes and dramatic skies in the breaks..

Reading MT! Told you!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Awful day out there, first awful day since December 14th here. I don't think there is anything to enjoy about today :p.

Yes there is. Coming home and closing the door on it! I really enjoyed that ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes there is. Coming home and closing the door on it! I really enjoyed that ;)

Good one...and...very true! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have to agree with Gonzo there was a certain magic in not knowing what was ahead in years long gone by. I remember the excitement of opening the curtains in the morning, to see snow falling that was not expected. Then getting the day off school due to three inches of snow(or less) on the ground:)
    If we had the internet back then i don't think it would have been as exciting for me. That said i did enjoy the build up to the Greenland express in 2010, and the sheer joy at the eventual arrival of the snow, as i'm sure the snow haters on here did too:pac:

Anyway hopefully we (those of us who want it) will be talking about snow that has fallen, courtesy of polar low, this time next week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo wrote: »
    pouring rain and very mild here. Dark and dreary.

Just passed through Clonmel actually,lovely day down here :D. *

*cloudy but nice 12c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have to agree with Gonzo there was a certain magic in not knowing what was ahead in years long gone by. I remember the excitement of opening the curtains in the morning, to see snow falling that was not expected. Then getting the day off school due to three inches of snow(or less) on the ground:)
    If we had the internet back then i don't think it would have been as exciting for me. That said i did enjoy the build up to the Greenland express in 2010, and the sheer joy at the eventual arrival of the snow, as i'm sure the snow haters on here did too:pac:

Anyway hopefully we (those of us who want it) will be talking about snow that has fallen, courtesy of polar low, this time next week!

Another thing back then because of no internet I didn't realise that sometimes my lack of snow while 10 miles away could be buried in it was the result of the Isle Of Man shadow. This lack of knowledge also helped in looking forward to snow, now I know that if we do get an easterly, some of it will be plagued by the IOM Shadow.

Winter 2010 was fun to watch here on boards, it's the greatest single example of a snow event kept intact from 3 weeks prior in FI to it's actual start. 9 times out of 10 the snow is always 10 days away and stays that way till it becomes too warm to snow in April.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    9 times out of 10 the snow is always 10 days away and stays that way till it becomes too warm to snow in April.

For this reason I gave up looking at the models two years ago....links are even gone from my bookmarks....now I don't get stressed anymore. :) I just take it as it comes.

Meanwhile always a bridesmaid never a bride ECM FI still hasn't caught the flowers
    From 192 on only -6 to -8 at best uppers
    Not enough off a long NW modification track lads only cold rain

The eejits on the UK fora are expecting snow trains from those in NI,NW England and Wales
    Not a hope,except above 400 metres

Nothing to see yet but plenty time,lots of real cold in possible sources and lots of chances/time yet for something useful to evolve,let's keep watching?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I remember year's ago as a kid I loved snow and frost.
    It turned the landscape into a different atmosphere, crisp,silent and still.

I can remember looking out of my school window and seeing flakes drifting and swirling in the air.

Sometimes heavy chunks sometimes wispy flakes drifting like dandelion seed's getting caught in the grass.
    Sometimes whitening lampposts on one side.

I love the winter landscape, it's one of nature's wonder's.
    Some people hate it, maybe they're not really able for the cold or lack creativity.

Back in the 80's it snowed more in Clare
    Cratloe and the East Clare Hill's were often topped with white for weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Snow lovers might get some much needed joy next week, its looking promising.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/snow-forecast-for-next-week-771337.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Eamondomc wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/snow-forecast-for-next-week-771337.html

With Met Eireann saying 10C - 11C on Thursday I highly doubt this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

met eireann not saying 10 or 11 degrees ,
    Thursday to Saturday (inclusive): Early indications suggest that it will be very cold and windy, with a mix of bright or sunny spells and showers, some of the showers falling as hail, sleet and snow, especially in the northern half of the country, with a risk of thunder also. On Thursday, there is a risk of more persistent rain and sleet for a time, with hill snow, especially in the southern half of the country and there is a small risk of more persistent rain, sleet and snow moving in from the west and northwest later Friday. Frost will occur at night, especially in areas sheltered from the strong west to northwest winds.

Classic met Eireann ECM summary though
    It's not going to be that wintry on low ground if there's only -8 uppers from the northwest
    Mountainy man yes
    Cavan Monaghan Armagh Tyrone Low ground maybe
    Higher parts of Sligo mayo Donegal and Derry
    Then maybe higher parts of the southwest and other areas showers reach after that

This may change

I again cannot contain my excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I absolutely love a cold winter just as much as I love a hot summer. I've felt cheated these past two winters with the unseasonal high temperatures.

15 degrees in December, 15 degrees in July. How utterly boring is that!

It always amuses me to hear the TV forecasters herald yet another warm spell in winter with great glee like promising a treat to a good child, they just love the word "mild". The equivalent in summer is "fresh" and they also get quite excited to announce that if we've had a bit of humidity making temps feel summery.

To us here in the south west, mild=mucky and fresh = freezing and it's always temps in the teens that's the culprit. Temps have no business in the teens in high winter or high summer but alas,that's our Atlantic climate.:rolleyes:

You never know what to feckin wear!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

ArKl0w wrote:
    I again cannot contain my excitement

I know cannnntttt Waaaaait "in a rubber bandit accent"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

acequion wrote: »
    I absolutely love a cold winter just as much as I love a hot summer. I've felt cheated these past two winters with the unseasonal high temperatures.

15 degrees in December, 15 degrees in July. How utterly boring is that!

It always amuses me to hear the TV forecasters herald yet another warm spell in winter with great glee like promising a treat to a good child, they just love the word "mild". The equivalent in summer is "fresh" and they also get quite excited to announce that if we've had a bit of humidity making temps feel summery.

To us here in the south west, mild=mucky and fresh = freezing and it's always temps in the teens that's the culprit. Temps have no business in the teens in high winter or high summer but alas,that's our Atlantic climate.:rolleyes:

You never know what to feckin wear!

Spot on with your comments. Even currently its 11.2c here in Waterford City which could easily be a temp recorded at this time of the night in July. Its just the nature of our climate. I guess it makes us appreciate the extremes when they do happen on rare occasions

www.waterfordcityweather.com

I remember year's ago as a kid I loved snow and frost.
    It turned the landscape into a different atmosphere, crisp,silent and still.

I can remember looking out of my school window and seeing flakes drifting and swirling in the air.

Sometimes heavy chunks sometimes wispy flakes drifting like dandelion seed's getting caught in the grass.
    Sometimes whitening lampposts on one side.

I love the winter landscape, it's one of nature's wonder's.
    Some people hate it, maybe they're not really able for the cold or lack creativity.

Back in the 80's it snowed more in Clare
    Cratloe and the East Clare Hill's were often topped with white for weeks...

Wondering at the psychology that says that anyone thinking differently is in some way lacking ! Typical snow bunny tactic.. I am able for the cold and my creativity is awesome but I take what comes and no grief if we get no snow. I do though remember that really bad winter that after two weeks of being snowed in folk were getting very weary of it.

Eamondomc wrote: »

Told you that weeks ago and no one listened! Moving day is 13th- 14th! Was bound to snow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wondering at the psychology that says that anyone thinking differently is in some way lacking ! Typical snow bunny tactic.. I am able for the cold and my creativity is awesome but I take what comes and no grief if we get no snow. I do though remember that really bad winter that after two weeks of being snowed in folk were getting very weary of it.
    True, it's the rarity value that makes it 'special'. If we lived in a polar region we'd be equally as fed up of snow as we currently are of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

True, it's the rarity value that makes it 'special'. If we lived in a polar region we'd be equally as fed up of snow as we currently are of rain.

People in snowy countries generally like snow.

People in snowy countries generally like snow.

I am on a big US forum and that is not true. Simply they are prepared for it, know how to use and enjoy it. When we get it the country grinds to a halt. That is the real problem. We are not equipped to live with it. Not our houses not our roads.

Expect the wintry spell to change to a very brief one on the met Eireann outlook today as the ECM has diluted it again overnight
    There's now only a 10hr window up north followed by more anticyclonic benigness on the latest ECM run that met Eireann summarises for our forecasts...

It's really a folly what they do with their outlook versus the UK met offices' 4 to 5 day ahead approach

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Expect the wintry spell to change to a very brief one on the met Eireann outlook today as the ECM has diluted it again overnight
    There's now only a 10hr window up north followed by more anticyclonic benigness on the latest ECM run that met Eireann summarises for our forecasts...

It's really a folly what they do with their outlook versus the UK met offices' 4 to 5 day ahead approach

People should really heed the advice above to ensure they are not disappointed. In general, if we can assume the mantra "Ireland is the land of eternal October", I think expectations will be a lot more realistic in terms of winter snowfall!! 😉

D

derekon wrote: »
    People should really heed the advice above to ensure they are not disappointed. In general, if we can assume the mantra "Ireland is the land of eternal October", I think expectations will be a lot more realistic in terms of winter snowfall!! 😉

D

I am relieved! I have a 7 hour drive overnight Friday/ Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I am relieved! I have a 7 hour drive overnight Friday/ Saturday.

Well safe driving!

D

I am on a big US forum and that is not true. Simply they are prepared for it, know how to use and enjoy it. When we get it the country grinds to a halt. That is the real problem. We are not equipped to live with it. Not our houses not our roads.

It's the permanently snowy countries that appreciate snow. In much of the US it comes, melts and goes. In places where it sticks for the winter they not only get used to it, but monetise it.

This is going to annoy coldies.

All of Europe on the freezer, down to the med (except tiny parts of southern Spain)

Except toasty Ireland and UK.

https://twitter.com/europe_wx/status/817657093993938944

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Extremely heavy snow in Instabul Turkey since yesterday afternoon and no let up for another few hours. Very large accumulations there. Snow making its way as far south as Izmir.

Krakow and Munich were at -20c last night, with Katowice near Krakow down to -25c.

It was snowing in Amsterdam last night.

The UK joins is in our misery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cork Airport recorded 26.3mm of rainfall yesterday, genie mac. Didn't think it would be that heavy.

Advertisement