Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport recorded 26.3mm of rainfall yesterday, genie mac. Didn't think it would be that heavy.

I am not surprised. It started here in South Kerry around 2 am ;heavy deluge non stop for hours and the spot flooding told its tale. The road was still bad when I came home early afternoon,torrents coming down from the mountains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport recorded 26.3mm of rainfall yesterday, genie mac. Didn't think it would be that heavy.

Horrible day. Even in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am not surprised. It started here in South Kerry around 2 am ;heavy deluge non stop for hours and the spot flooding told its tale. The road was still bad when I came home early afternoon,torrents coming down from the mountains

I was expecting 15mm at most :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am on a big US forum and that is not true. Simply they are prepared for it, know how to use and enjoy it. When we get it the country grinds to a halt. That is the real problem. We are not equipped to live with it. Not our houses not our roads.

It might be different in the more northerly states, but in my experience some states are no better than Ireland for 'coping' with snow. I've been in both New York and Maryland when there was medium amounts of snowfall, and in both cases the 'coping' was knowing it was on the way and being prepared to be stuck in your house or neighbourhood for a few days. In both it took around 3 days for the snow ploughs to arrive to the streets I was living on.

I'd say it takes regular, substantial snowfall before places truly become able to constantly cope with such extremes of weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Fishing for likes ? :p

No im not 12 years old but let's be honest there's only one agenda being constantly pushed here. The winter weather thread has turned into a thread bereating people who don't like or want snow or discussing weather in different countries. When it's October in Ireland for the summer months there's no talk of the glorious proper sunny weather the rest of the continent is getting. Anyway back to the thread it's mild and dull today patchy mist but not bad tempature 10 degrees so perfect for being out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Horrible day. Even in Dublin.

It is rather lovely here. I have been working at the sorting pre move and in and out of the house and so sweet and mild.

Sometimes the sun would break through the fog and there would be a stripe of mountain visible with thick fog above and below it .

Love the drama of it and and the sudden changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fog finally cleared here in West Clare, sun peeping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My cold experience record was beaten this morning. Coldest I'd ever experienced was -27 in Finland.

This morning it was -31 here. The car in car port recorded -30c.

It took about 30 seconds for the old girl (vw touran TDI) to fire up.....But once smoking and rattling away she was as good as gold.

Surprised my -28 screen wash still flowed out if nozzles.

Drove to Krakow this morning, Krakow was -22. Just stopped at McDonald's now, and it's still -17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

snaps wrote: »
    My cold experience record was beaten this morning. Coldest I'd ever experienced was -27 in Finland.

This morning it was -31 here. The car in car port recorded -30c.

It took about 30 seconds for the old girl (vw touran TDI) to fire up.....But once smoking and rattling away she was as good as gold.

Surprised my -28 screen wash still flowed out if nozzles.

Drove to Krakow this morning, Krakow was -22. Just stopped at McDonald's now, and it's still -17.

-31 to -17, the thaw has set in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-31 to -17, the thaw has set in ;)

Since the sun has gone down its plumbiting down. -25 now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Bring on 1947.
    Could do with a good freeze,it's great for killing off plant disease and freshening up soil etc
    Also good for surfing conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Bring on 1947.
    Could do with a good freeze,it's great for killing off plant disease and freshening up soil etc
    Also good for surfing conditions.

How is it good for surfing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snaps, can i stay with you for a few days?
    This mild and damp weather is just awful.

snaps wrote: »
    Since the sun has gone down its plumbiting down. -25 now.

Shouldn't have let it go down, though.

No im not 12 years old but let's be honest there's only one agenda being constantly pushed here. The winter weather thread has turned into a thread bereating people who don't like or want snow or discussing weather in different countries. When it's October in Ireland for the summer months there's no talk of the glorious proper sunny weather the rest of the continent is getting. Anyway back to the thread it's mild and dull today patchy mist but not bad tempature 10 degrees so perfect for being out and about.

Until now 90% of your posts were disgust at the fact that irelands weather doesn't change from winter to summer. That you can get 15 degrees in Jan and in June.

On a murky Jan day that proves your point you suddenly reverse that attitude entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

How have I reversed anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mild gloomy muck all day, I'd rather a day of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann warning of sleet and snow from next Thursday on, and to keep in touch with the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RobertKK wrote: »
    Met Eireann warning of sleet and snow from next Thursday on, and to keep in touch with the forecast.

ECM looks cold for Ireland from Thursday on for a couple of days anyway. The others less so. Will be interesting to watch anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM looks cold for Ireland from Thursday on for a couple of days anyway. The others less so. Will be interesting to watch anyway.

Yea, starting to look more like winter for sure. Very cold uppers Thursday and quite blustery, rain initially turning to sleet/snow, will be interesting to study this develop as it gets closer. Saturday also looking very wet I would think with a chance of snow perhaps early Sunday for some. low temps during the day with widespread frosts at night away from the W coasts. Windchill. Snow probably heavy and wet and not sticking for long on lower ground you would think from its origin, Thursday into Friday could be tricky on the roads.

mgBRPuP.png

Fv5aM8I.gif

du7SOUN.gif

VJaSIJC.png?1

nWxP4C4.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

LEIN wrote: »
    Mild gloomy muck all day, I'd rather a day of rain.

If you were outside working I doubt that.
    It was a good mild and dry day here, no jacket on my back all day and got some fences mended and a few overhanging bushes and briars cut out of the way. There is a little stretch in the daylight too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nothing will be tied down for some days but good to watch it develop, dont think we will be building many snowmen at this stage but you would never know on a bit of higher ground. No doubt the NW will get a good pasting.

h7wrGoJ.gif

6pcN3zI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nothing will be tied down for some days but good to watch it develop, dont think we will be building many snowmen at this stage but you would never know on a bit of higher ground. No doubt the NW will get a good pasting.

h7wrGoJ.gif

6pcN3zI.gif

Hopefully a few troughs or even a polar low will develop! Be nice to see a dusting even if transient.

Hopefully a few troughs or even a polar low will develop! Be nice to see a dusting even if transient.

Yes indeed. Am reading some commentators over on NW speak of the potential of a Polar Low with -40C at 500mb levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cloloco

Met eireann forecasting snow for next Thursday and Friday, lets hope not. Ever since 2010 I'd be happy never to see it again, it put me off snow for life :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Chances now decent enough for the coldest spell of the Winter to arrive next week. The closest we have come model wise anyway without downgrades so far. I always say get the cold in first and the rest will take care of itself. All aboard the famous roller coaster ;)

Chances now decent enough for the coldest spell of the Winter to arrive next week. The closest we have come model wise anyway without downgrades so far. I always say get the cold in first and the rest will take care of itself. All aboard the famous roller coaster ;)

The cold to the east is undeniably extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wet mush from the NW? No thanks. Well overdue for some of the proper snow from the East!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A two-three day northern toppler, should it come to pass, will have to do. At this stage I will be just happy to see snow falling, accumulations at night would be a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Seems like January 2015/February 2015 standard cold coming tbh and that's nothing to be excited about. I remember Winter 2014/15 ending with rather cold conditions overall here (though only slightly, most places were milder than normal) and no snow days. Yet as soon as meteorological Spring began (March 1st), it started snowing and continued into the second day.

The CanSIPS shows a cold January but nothing severe. February looks like being dry YET Atlantic driven and mild, a chance of February 1998 happening again but much less warmer than that was? February 1998 by the way was dry in most places bar the north with some very dry conditions in the south and east. I just thought I'd mention this though after the original prediction for this to be a cold weekend, I don't believe what models show after 3 days maximum.

Advertisement