Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Dare I ask and invoke the ire of the regulars, but why do people want to see snow stick?

Ireland just isn't able to cop with it and while I love looking at it fall for like an hour, the disruption it causes isn't really worth it in my view.

Just curiously :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Reati wrote: »
    Dare I ask and invoke the ire of the regulars, but why do people want to see snow stick?

Ireland just isn't able to cop with it and while I love looking at it fall for like an hour, the disruption it causes isn't really worth it in my view.

1. For me, it means off school :D.

2. A winter wonderland is a beautiful sight to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Finding it a struggle to see any positives regarding the forecast wintry spell. I already envisage a cold, sloppy, sleety mess by day with perhaps some elephant flakes by night.

I really am beginning to think that we are being punished, beyond what we deserve, by the weathergods this winter. After such a crap, nondescript summer/autumn, we are now have endure an equally as crap, and equally as nondescript, winter. Is there any escape from this quagmire at all on offer? :(

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Once there is hope of snow, I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

sryanbruen wrote: »

2. A winter wonderland is a beautiful sight to see.

As a part time photographer I'd agree with that alot. But like for an hour (or how long it takes me to get some landscapes!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLmA263hlk

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Finding it a struggle to see any positives regarding the forecast wintry spell. I already envisage a cold, sloppy, sleety mess by day with perhaps some elephant flakes by night.

I really am beginning to think that we are being punished, beyond what we deserve, by the weathergods this winter. After such a crap, nondescript summer/autumn, we are now have endure an equally as crap, and equally as nondescript, winter. Is there any escape from this quagmire at all on offer? :(

we will likely get an active February, which is sometimes the way with a weak la nina winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Really?
    You have to even ask???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

May I curiously ask what you found crap about Autumn 2016? I'm just very curious

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot that you are the huge storm lover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭giveitholly

ArKl0w wrote: »

in laymans language arkIOw?

in laymans language arkIOw?

It means tonight's ECM wasn't the coldest of its member runs and it shows a big freeze in the Netherlands suggesting the cold is backing well west,hope that helps ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It means tonight's ECM wasn't the coldest of its member runs and it shows a big freeze in the Netherlands suggesting the cold is backing well west,hope that helps ? :p

thanks,keep up the good work,i'd say arkIOw you will eventually pull that cold west enough

Bah Humbug!
    Now watch the grass turn yellow and disappear.

Gav is great on the youtube clips.:)

Not forgetting our great MT Cranium here too.:)

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Bah Humbug!
    Now watch the grass turn yellow and disappear.

Gav is great on the youtube clips.:)

Not forgetting our great MT Cranium here too.:)

I actually drove from Fermoy to Arklow yesterday via Clonmel through the best of farming country and every field and paddock was as bare as a goats backside and yellow in places,hardly a blade of grass anywhere
    Off topic and one for the farming forum but I came to the conclusion most have everything grazed to the butt and the little that's left is frost or water damaged already

This is a total novice question.:o

Is De Bilt a weather forecasting/modelling organisation like UKMO, GEM, etc?
    Or is it covered by the ECMWF?

Trying to google it and I'm getting a town in Holland.:o:P

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    This is a total novice question.:o

Is De Bilt a weather forecasting/modelling organisation like UKMO, GEM, etc?
    Or is it covered by the ECMWF?

Trying to google it and I'm getting a town in Holland.:o:P

De Bilt is a place in Holland. My limited understanding is that when an Easterly is possible, the De Bilt Ensembles can give us an indication as to whether they are picking up a cold signal to our East, next stop for cold air is UK / Ireland.

I could be wrong but I think that's the jist.
    Arklow could tell you for sure.

De Bilt is a place in Holland. My limited understanding is that when an Easterly is possible, the De Bilt Ensembles can give us an indication as to whether they are picking up a cold signal to our East, next stop for cold air is UK / Ireland.

I could be wrong but I think that's the jist.
    Arklow could tell you for sure.

I think De Bilt is another name for the ECM weather forecasting I.e the headquarters are in De Bilt???

The only weather model giving us raging easterly from a scandi high in FI anyway.

firstsnow_wp.jpg

I hope to be doing this next Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Waiting patiently for all the toys to be thrown out of the pram when next weekend turns out to be another damp squib :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

and not to forget a bit of Met eireann bashing :)

It depends what you mean by a damp squib ?? I don't think anyone here is predicting 10 com of snow anywhere. There certainly won't be on low ground anywhere outside of Ulster. To me a damp squib will be if we end up with cold rain or sleet- which could well happen. i think the majority of people using this forum are aware of murphys law when it comes to snowfall in this country and won't blame Met Eireann if there is no snow.

and not to forget a bit of Met eireann bashing :)

More than likely. But there are some cute hoors around who "predict" ..."wintery showers" which cover,s a multitude of things.if certain people came on here and
    Posted the word "boo" they would get 20/30 thanks.the mind really does boggle.An earlier poster was saying about some oul lad was forecasting this and that because of whatever ludicrous reason and it was called nonsensense (which I agree with) but...Is it less nonsensical as some chancers forecasting to any lemmings that will listen what the weather will be like in December,when saying this in October?

It depends what you mean by a damp squib ?? I don't think anyone here is predicting 10 com of snow anywhere. There certainly won't be on low ground anywhere outside of Ulster. To me a damp squib will be if we end up with cold rain or sleet- which could well happen. i think the majority of people using this forum are aware of murphys law when it comes to snowfall in this country and won't blame Met Eireann if there is no snow.

I would never "blame" met eireann.i just take all forecasts with a pinch of salt.

I would never "blame" met eireann.i just take all forecasts with a pinch of salt.

This is not unique to you. Most of the regulars of this forum would be of the same mind. I obviously love snow, but i am well aware that it is never a guarantee given our climate, and i would not be blaming a forecaster if it all goes horribly wrong( from my perspective) next Thursday. I recall during the 2009 cold spell someone gave out to M.T. Cranium because the snow storm he "promised" never happened. That actually happened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think next Thursday will be winter wonderland either, but it's a start and a step in the right direction from the relentless mild we've had all winter. I am hoping for a classic easterly to develop from this during the last week of January and first week of February. Next Thursday may not deliver laying snow but I will be extremely dissapointed if we're still here end of February trying to chase the prospect of the first measureable snowfall since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Everybody does. You realise that the majority of what is posted on this forum is model outputs and probabilistic interpretations of those models, rather than definitive forecasts?

This is not unique to you. Most of the regulars of this forum would be of the same mind. I obviously love snow, but i am well aware that it is never a guarantee given our climate, and i would not be blaming a forecaster if it all goes horribly wrong( from my perspective) next Thursday. I recall during the 2009 cold spell someone gave out to M.T. Cranium because the snow storm he "promised" never happened. That actually happened.

I would never "give out" to anyone for predicting our weather,I take it all as I said with a pinch of salt.if I want to know when mt cranium is playing golf,or what the weather is
    Like in obsure places in the N.w Pacific or wherever else I will tune in,but I have been around the block too long to be buying into this nonsensense.I have said it before and I will say it again.....Mother nature will laugh at us all time and time again,but the cabaret value is always good here

MJohnston wrote: »
    Everybody does. You realise that the majority of what is posted on this forum is model outputs and probabilistic interpretations of those models, rather than definitive forecasts?

Yes of course I do,that's why I find it so entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Same old same old on the the thread..

Sitting here like patience on a monument waiting to see what we get Friday to Saturday, moving day...

I will in the end leave it up to my man-with-a - van... If he says OK, Ok it is. If he says wait, we will wait. But I hope to go...
    Once i get to the main road it will be OK ,

I did get it right though! Said if there was to be any snow it would happen that day.

Advertisement