Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pad199207 wrote: »
    Exactly and as stupid as this may sound, but the snow they get in the west or comes from the west isnt the same as the snow we get here in the east! FACT :P

that's not quite true:P)
    in a potent northerly outbreak we can get dry snow too. although i prefer the wet stuff, as its better snow ball material:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, snow in the east tends to be more extreme, look at the Irish snowfall records.

Yes, if we look at extreme snowfalls over the last 80 years in this country most happen in the east. 1947, 1917, and sometime in the 30s(can't remember the precise year) might be the exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well worth reading http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf . One interesting thing to note is that, apparently, the greatest snowfall of the last 2 centuries was in 1917 in the South! Snowshield me arse....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well worth reading http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf . One interesting thing to note is that, apparently, the greatest snowfall of the last 2 centuries was in 1917 in the South! Snowshield me arse....

That's what I was actually referring to :D and hey at least, it's not the soggy west.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

SnowfallAnal eh? Appropriate enough that that snowshield is your ar5e ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That's what I was actually referring to :D and hey at least, it's not the soggy west.

Interesting article,but I'm more interested right now in the snow this week in 2017 in the 'soggy' west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

No good news on the model front tonight
    The only consistency I can find is high pressure,forgive my language c0ck blocking the real cold that has been running into Greece and Turkey

Will keep watching

This weeks event will last Thursday to Saturday I think and will be similar to Xmas 2004 except about 36hrs to 48hrs depending on where you are
    It could be quite potent in Ulster away from coasts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Now that were so sure theres snow showers on the way I expect to wake up to the sound of pouring rain against the window Thursday morning;):pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Might be waking up to a light blanket of snow on Thurs in places in the Western half of the country perhaps, will it stick ? probably not in lower levels but may do so on any hilly ground.

TqyzUx6.png

1w7QF4p.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Confidence is building for snow here in West Clare, I've changed my mind from Hopeless to wrong side of marginal.

All we'll see here will be hail realistically though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The latest ECM is not good for snow on this island as uppers are a lot higher temp than gfs. Longer term though it is much better for cold but in FI land.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Conditions on EC are fine for snow for a 36 hour window. A little less cold due to features tracking in the flow= more widespread snow.

Very interesting end to run!

The latest ECM is not good for snow on this island as uppers are a lot higher temp than gfs. Longer term though it is much better for cold but in FI land.

Not bad Thurs though, and less so each day after

9ovzdek.png?1

YE3O35n.png?1

C07WOuN.png?1

oAfncQM.png?1

Conditions on EC are fine for snow for a 36 hour window. A little less cold due to features tracking in the flow= more widespread snow.

Very interesting end to run!

Yeah shame it's in FI and not supported. Still prefer its ECM than Gfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

So will i be getting snow in Glencullen dublin mountains this week can someone please answer yes or no

Thank you

Distinct lack of the mentioning of the 's' word in the forecast after 6 news by Joanna Donnelly.

She seemed to side step the mini cold snap but did however mention with certainty that it will be becoming mild again from early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Distinct lack of the mentioning of the 's' word in the forecast after 6 news by Joanna Donnelly.

She seemed to side step the mini cold snap but did however mention with certainty that it will be becoming mild again from early next week.

Which may have been a bit too premature....... Big differences between the charts at the moment, this evenings ECM is a cracker again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Meanwhile always a bridesmaid never a bride at T240 the 12z ecm now has -12 uppers all the way from Larne to Dungarvan in Eastern Ireland 10 days from now:eek:
    You'd have ice days under that
    Pressure too high for anything other than flurries

Of course it won't be happening but it might eventually,it's not dropping the idea so possibility later on maybe before months end?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah the GFS wants to bring back westerlies as early as Saturday. The GEM doesn't see any return to westerlies with significant cold but very dry (so no snow) continuing up to 10 days away. The ECMWF wants to bring back westerlies Wednesday next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

If I hear another media outlet talking about the cold in Europe and heading here.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Weather after Six One rarely goes beyond a few days when the setup is not certain as they are basing it on data before ecm 12z.

The weather after the nine news will have more detail.

Snow watch update from gavsweathervids

https://youtu.be/3Miq90SOoLs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I can't bring myself to watch more than 30 seconds of that I'm sorry.

Could you summarise what's being said?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was in the local supermarket and post office earlier, all the locals talking about artic snow storms and sub zero temperatures, you'd swear they were expecting another 2010, they gonna be very dissappointed!

Gonzo wrote: »
    I was in the local supermarket and post office earlier, all the locals talking about artic snow storms and sub zero temperatures, you'd swear they were expecting another 2010, they gonna be very dissappointed!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pad199207 wrote: »
    Exactly and as stupid as this may sound, but the snow they get in the west or comes from the west isnt the same as the snow we get here in the east! FACT :P

NOT FACT

Yes, 'westerly snow', which is more frequent in the west, is usually (but not always) of the 'wet' variety, but the snow from the Arctic north is not, and we can get considerable dumpings that aren't just confined coastal/mountain locations, unlike snow in the east, from the east.

If I was a totally obsessed snow lover and had the option to move, I sooner move to Donegal, Derry or Sligo than to Dublin or Wicklow to satisfy for my fix.. because frankly, I'd be more likely to see it.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    NOT FACT

Yes, 'westerly snow', which is more frequent in the west, is usually (but not always) of the 'wet' variety, but the snow from the Arctic north is not, and we can get considerable dumpings that aren't just confined coastal/mountain locations, unlike snow in the east, from the east.

If I was a totally obsessed snow lover and had the option to move, I sooner move to Donegal, Derry or Sligo than to Dublin or Wicklow to satisfy for my fix.. because frankly, I'd be more likely to see it.

very true about Donegal, they see proper snow every single winter. The east see's it once, maybe twice every 10 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

This looks to be a north west and south west of Ireland event.
    From the ECMWF on the Icelandic met office.
    screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

And you obviously pointed them to the ECM 240!

Advertisement