Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    This looks to be a north west and south west of Ireland event.
    From the ECMWF on the Icelandic met office

I like!! Rte weather should be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Gonzo wrote:
    very true about Donegal, they see proper snow every single winter. The east see's it once, maybe twice every 10 years or so.

I remember one time in Bandcamp....

Jokes aside anytime I was in the snow in Donegal,the flakes were huge and made a kind of rustle noise when they hit the skylight in the room I was staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    very true about Donegal, they see proper snow every single winter. The east see's it once, maybe twice every 10 years or so.

Quite true Gonzo, but being country with a small population that is relatively condensed towards the east coast, we are more likely to hear about snowfalls (or really any other weather event) that occur in and around the Dublin region than in other parts, both on online boards like this, and from our 'national' media. And no, just in case I get a barrage of responses claiming that I'm 'anti-Dublin' or something, I'm not. I'm just stating a fact.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Talking to a guy in the county council in Donegal earlier and apparently they have snow ploughs on standby... not for this week but later next week. Only passing on what I was told before I get attacked....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I did notice the bbc forecaster last night mention the low risk of an easterly later on, perhaps the ecm is on to something. Although I would not discount, even at this late stage, a backtrack to a flatter gfs solution for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    This looks to be a north west and south west of Ireland event.
    From the ECMWF on the Icelandic met office

I like!! Rte weather should be interesting.

For the south west it's blowing precipitation from that low off Greenland and then the north west from the north east above Iceland and then for the middle we've heard of the Isle of Man shadow. Now watch out for the Iceland shadow. Perhaps??

Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81

Finally balanced but EC clusters split 3 ways between 192 to 240hrs main cluster (18 members) showing the E'ly solution. More runs needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I think I write... 'soggy' in the snow on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo wrote: »
    With all due respect,to yourself and Oneric ,that's rubbish,there's snow several times on the Wicklow mountains every single winter,all of it accessible within a half hour or less of the M11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

For anybody who wants to watch the GFS rolling out, show starts at 9.30!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ppn over the southwest looks quite persistent and heavy.
    As a Corkonian we have a great chance of lying snow on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

ArKl0w wrote: »
    With all due respect,to yourself and Oneric ,that's rubbish,there's snow several times on the Wicklow mountains every single winter,all of it accessible within a half hour or less of the M11

Good point.. Will there be snow up around Sugarloaf on Saturday would you say? Might bring the the little ones up if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Johanna seems to be giving the impression that the mild spell next Sunday will be short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not much there from met eireann. Done wintry showers around....its January it's hardly headline stuff. The media reporting of this is typical nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Johanna seems to be giving the impression that the mild spell next Sunday will be short lived.

Haha she didn't go last Thursday ....... interesting time ahead me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very poor forecast by Joanna
    I quote 'few wintry showers around'
    One of the worst forecasts I have seen in a while. It might be short lived but this is a potent spell coming up.

Saying that she's pbly trying to balance the media hype that occurred today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Joanna after the nine news,still won't say the s word,mentioning wintry showers on thursday,and suggesting back to mildness by Sunday.

Not making much of a deal of it generally but shes usually blasé about everything.

Snow on the mountains? surely you'd sorta expect that in winter?

New Moon

Joanna after the nine news,still won't say the s word,mentioning wintry showers on thursday,and suggesting back to mildness by Sunday.

Not making much of a deal of it generally but shes usually blasé about everything.

Yeah she was very nonchalant about it -wintry showers. Time tomorrow for warnings I suppose if necessary.

That is why I enjoy her forecasts. Her blasé style reflects the blaséness of what usually is on offer.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Good point.. Will there be snow up around Sugarloaf on Saturday would you say? Might bring the the little ones up if there is.

Probably,it depends on shower distribution,the sugarloaf isn't super high but that's not the factor here,it's shower location
    You'll know if there is

@ Oneric,my point is simply in Ireland,it's always easy to go to the snow
    It's amazing how many coldies don't know this or how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

What's with all the moody negative comments lately? A touch of reverse psychology perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Not too shabby GFS snow 75hrs :)
    69-780UK.GIF?09-18

@ Oneric,my point is simply in Ireland,it's always easy to go to the snow
    It's amazing how many coldies don't know this or how

Fair enough Arklow, but living in the least mountainous region in the entire island or Ireland, that is kinda hard for me to do! My motto is, if the snow
    isn't good enough to come to me, then it isn't good enough for me to go out of my way to see it.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

It's a fairly blowy night out there tonight.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Fair enough Arklow, but living in the least mountainous region in the entire island or Ireland, that is kinda hard for me to do! My motto is, if the snow
    isn't good enough to come to me, then it isn't good enough for me to go out of my way to see it.

Oh you're missing out then,I've many is the time left here in the pouring rain only to be several inches deep in snow up in the hills
    Most Dubs too are only ever a half hour from mountain snow when it's there and it's there often,all accessible as I said
    Much taboggoning,boarding or skiing can be done
    Only problem is no chair lifts :(

That is why I enjoy her forecasts. Her blasé style reflects the blaséness of what usually is on offer.

Paddy1, I get the impression with her if there was a storm or a December 2010 event on offer she would still be blase about it all.

Paddy1, I get the impression with her if there was a storm or a December 2010 event on offer she would still be blase about it all.

I agree. It's not like a fine summer week coming up. Ireland is not a country who deals with frost and snow well. I know it's marginal but I don't think wintry showers is adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Once there is hope of snow, I am happy.

Best comment of the thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Indeed there is no snow like home snow

Advertisement