Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Indeed there is no snow like home snow

I tend to agree. That's why i was very glad to be here in December 2010. I have experienced major snowfall in other countries, but it's not the same as seeing it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GFS 18z brings the cold far further west towards the U.K. at +192 compare to last run, a step toward ECM?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Has there been a downgrade for Thursday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

MidMan25 wrote:
    For anybody who wants to watch the GFS rolling out, show starts at 9.30!

Looks fantastic in 60 hour's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looks a bit polar maritime more than Arctic

Watch as showers continously miss some parts but dump lots in others nearby

Id say this is another blink n youv missed it.

Wed night late early Thursday good times

Thursday afternoon evening rain hail sleet

Friday rain hail

Saturday milder slightly

Sunday 12c! Next cold spell 348hrs!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds and NW flow not as strong today as it will be Thursday and still showers made it to the far South East of the country. Despite the negativity in here i still feel almost anywhere could see snow showers Thursday.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Oh yeah might get a snow shower, but no settled snow in the East.

Minor event. Even last year there was one day of wet snow in Dublin. Nothing stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yawn!

Awake in the night as the wind is battering and thumping out there up here... LOUD NIGHT... Feels colder too.

Noisy old night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Minor event. Even last year there was one day of wet snow in Dublin. Nothing stuck.

It snowed in dublin in February 2016. There was lying snow for the day out towards kilternan. Why do people have to make blanket statements like it hasn't snowed in the east for years etc?? Just because your precise location didn't get snow doesn't mean the whole county or region didn't get any. The Wicklow mountains for example probably get more snow every winter than most of the uk outside of obviously the Scottish highlands. I bet if you looked at the sally gap over the past 10 years it probably gets as much snowfall days as most of the UK.

Parts of Donegal get snow ever my year so people saying Ireland gets little to no snow are talking nonsense.

Your back garden does not represent everywheee in the county / region. The east gets a lot of snow competitive to many parts of Ireland but perhaps where you live doesn't. My friend has lived in London for 4 years now and said he can hardly recall seeing a snowflake since moving there. That doesn't mean other parts of the U.K. Don't get snow, London just gets very little

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

BBC forecast last night was the same as last sunday, windchill feel of -4 for a couple of days, although they did give rain for us on saturday i think it was before back to the mild atlantic next week with unsettled weather

meanwhile BBC NI weather said snow showers with accumalations in the far NW but it will be hit and miss where they fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Well the ECM this morning brings what would easily be the coldest weather since 2010. Easterly flow over the country next week.

UKMO looks similar

GFS close but no cigar, but moving toward a more amplified output compared to yesterday. But reason enough to urge caution as Ireland would be left on the edge of any cold.

All in all looks sort of promising, that's not even reflecting on tomorrow night and Thursday possible snowy surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It snowed in dublin in February 2016. There was lying snow for the day out towards kilternan. Why do people have to make blanket statements like it hasn't snowed in the east for years etc?? Just because your precise location didn't get snow doesn't mean the whole county or region didn't get any. The Wicklow mountains for example probably get more snow every winter than most of the uk outside of obviously the Scottish highlands. I bet if you looked at the sally gap over the past 10 years it probably gets as much snowfall days as most of the UK.

Parts of Donegal get snow ever my year so people saying Ireland gets little to no snow are talking nonsense.

Your back garden does not represent everywheee in the county / region. The east gets a lot of snow competitive to many parts of Ireland but perhaps where you live doesn't. My friend has lived in London for 4 years now and said he can hardly recall seeing a snowflake since moving there. That doesn't mean other parts of the U.K. Don't get snow, London just gets very little

I said even last year it snowed in Dublin. And last year was mild mild mild. I can't see what you are contradicting here. Although north westerly driven wet snow that settles for an hour isn't really that impressive.

I also know that donegal gets snow. Thanks.

My point was merely this Thursday is probably going to be disappointing for the East.

Needless to say the 6z GFS is a big model run this morning for those hoping for more severe cold next week.

The last 3 GFS runs have been correcting toward the ECM solution which shows an easterly air flow next week. However, the GFS remains steadfast in a significant difference from the ECM in how it models energy around the southern tip of Greenland in next 96 - 120 hours, being much flatter in the Atlantic with more complex energy going over high pressure.

If it corrects further one would assume it will move toward deeper cold down the line.

There's a lot of excitement on another forum with regard to the ECM and UKMO solutions which look poised to bring real cold first to eastern U.K. and then further down the line as far west as the eastern counties of Ireland.

It's not a done deal by any means. I will be watching with some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MTC's forecast seems to fall in line with the idea of Snow on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Depends what part of Dublin, we woke up to two white mornings in lucan last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I said even last year it snowed in Dublin. And last year was mild mild mild. I can't see what you are contradicting here. Although north westerly driven wet snow that settles for an hour isn't really that impressive.

I also know that donegal gets snow. Thanks.

My point was merely this Thursday is probably going to be disappointing for the East.

You said snow didn't stick in Dublin last year, while it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Something could be brewing for next week . Ecm still wants to go for an easterly. The proper cold doesn't reach ireland but plenty of time for that to change if an easterly does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    MTC's forecast seems to fall in line with the idea of Snow on Thursday.

Yeah upgraded the snow threat alright. I find this useful for precipitation amounts and looks good down the western half of the country for Thursday! Maybe even west Clare.
    https://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ArKl0w wrote: »

Will it be just be the UK though? Hopefully not that dreaded outcome where we are in the mild and across the Irish Sea is in the freezer. That's the worst possible case scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ArKl0w wrote: »

Will it be just be the UK though? Hopefully not that dreaded outcome where we are in the mild and across the Irish Sea is in the freezer. That's the worst possible case scenario.

Well other way of looking at it if Britian doesn't get the cold from the east we aren't either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I know this is probably backseat modding, but why are there so many posts about next week, which should presumably be in the FI thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

MJohnston wrote: »
    I know this is probably backseat modding, but why are there so many posts about next week, which should presumably be in the FI thread?

Because this is the winter chat thread and this is winter

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Joanna after the nine news,still won't say the s word,mentioning wintry showers on thursday,and suggesting back to mildness by Sunday.

Not making much of a deal of it generally but shes usually blasé about everything.

Not saying that I know for sure or anything but there's just a possibility that time constraints play a part - you have to try to remember that there isn't time to wax lyrical in a 2 minute broadcast that has a mandate other than "give us snow". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Hopefully you are wrong because i'm heading out for "supplies" today.

Remember the east covers a large amount of hilly locations and the difference of 100m can make a significant difference to the weather conditions. In Dublin 16, it is often raining at the bottom of my road and an all out blizzard at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

For better or worse I have opened a dedicated thread for Thurs and Friday. And yes, I know I have just jinxed it......

GFS comes around to easterly in 6z. Certainly now a threat of cold developing unlike anything seen in years.

HOWEVER, no matter how solid the guidance any easterly sourced cold is still >144,hours away for Ireland

But am I getting excited?

Yes for sure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think most of us can forget about any snow for this week, the east coast was never really in line to get much if any snow anyway. Hopefully a proper easterly will happen in next few weeks and deliver the real goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think most of us can forget about any snow for this week, the east coast was never really in line to get much if any snow anyway. Hopefully a proper easterly will happen in next few weeks and deliver the real goods.

Most of us as in the east?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gonzo wrote: »

If the snow doesn't come to you, go to it. I'm not far from you but if there's snow, I'll always find it :D

Advertisement