Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Dry grey cloudy 15 degrees.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

ArKl0w wrote: »
    The US weather service have basically dumped the latest GFS runs and are going with the ECM mainly and the UKMO

Make of that what you will

It means if an easterly wind gets going in Ireland it's hard to shift the buggar.:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

There have been very few days since November 15C about 8-10C alright. Several nights of -3C or below. Last summer we were over 20C for the most part. A good few days over 24C and one over 30C.

You must live in the house with the heating low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

nagdefy wrote: »
    There have been very few days since November 15C. 8-10C alright.

Only November 14th and December 7th I can remember recording 15c or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Although 'double vortex' and 'thundersnow' sound like a couple of 80's releases from Aussie rockers AC/DC,
    they seem to be the media's favourite keywords for the next couple of days.

Along with strong winds from tomorrow onwards, I'd say keep a few candles handy, also check on your neighbours over the next few days. Perhaps keep the speedo under 120, and boy racers, yes keep those summertime fog lights on.

If this purple bit (-30) in the picture below comes down, the plans for the BBQ next week are officially off.

weather-forecast-snow-784381.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Only November 14th and December 7th I can remember recording 15c or more.

Also there's a major exaggeration about the amount of rain we get annually, in the wettest of years 2/3rds of the day and night time is dry. In the wettest of summers if you listen to the forecast you can get an awful lot of outdoor activities done. You'll get your cycle/walk or run in.

It effects farming etc as you need dry ground and 4-5 very dry non humid days to make good hay. But in general there's too much complaining. When summers like 2007 or 2012 have been bad you usually have a lot of good weather in April, May, September and October to compensate.

We have a really good climate in this country and also a very safe one that we take for granted.

Bring on the easterly:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

pedigree 6 wrote:
    It means if an easterly wind gets going in Ireland it's hard to shift the buggar.

I Love Easterly winds and a combination of a SSW swell,it creates perfect surfing conditions.

Shapes the waves perfectly for barrels....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Risk of cold air from Siberia later next week - met eireann!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not forgetting tonight's wind warning :

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    West to northwest winds will increase tonight, with means of 55 to 65 km/h expected, giving gusts between 90 and 110 km/h. Winds will be strongest in exposed coastal and hilly areas.

Issued:Tuesday 10 January 2017 15:00
    Valid:Tuesday 10 January 2017 22:00 to Wednesday 11 January 2017 10:00

LM601Bi.png

Staying windy throughout the day

SNziqbp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Also there's a major exaggeration about the amount of rain we get annually, in the wettest of years 2/3rds of the day and night time is dry. In the wettest of summers if you listen to the forecast you can get an awful lot of outdoor activities done. You'll get your cycle/walk or run in.

It effects farming etc as you need dry ground and 4-5 very dry non humid days to make good hay. But in general there's too much complaining. When summers like 2007 or 2012 have been bad you usually have a lot of good weather in April, May, September and October to compensate.

We have a really good climate in this country and also a very safe one that we take for granted.

Yeah I'll admit that even though Summer 1986 was without the doubt the worst Summer in my opinion in Ireland at least, with the UK, it would be 1912 (using all sources I have read and seen as I wasn't alive then :P), there was September 1986 to compensate which became the driest September on record at the time and still is in places to this day though September 2014 did beat it at some locations. I've never even thought of that actually, I would go on and look back here at all the bad summers but this is a Winter thread after all. Maybe I'll do it in 5 months time :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

elastico wrote: »
    Risk of cold air from Siberia later next week - met eireann!!

Still too far out to call but an early heads up is always good to see from Met Eireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

We have a safe enough climate ok but it is dour, depressing and dank nonetheless. However parts of Scotland, Wales, Norway are the exact same if not wetter. Remember Bergen in Norway is the wettest city in Northern Europe/Scandinavia with massive rainfall and a very mild climate where snow is uncommon. Palm trees grow along the coast. Same in Stavanger owing to the dreaded gulf stream.

Paris for example would be far colder in winter.

We get poor Summers in Ireland but they are worse in Scotland, non existent in Northern England/Wales. Southern England has better Summers however but generally milder winters.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Was colder in north Africa this morning...

15966324_1935959213293837_1392976282637872396_n.png?oh=80cba1137169890892e5156120369ed6&oe=58E3E4E8

Someone on the TV box mentioned it was -67oC somewhere in Romania, round about where that arrow is^.

Meanwhile, over in Italy, their 'equivalent of Nostradamus' said if it snowed in Salento for two days, it might be advisable to join the bunker digger crowd. It's on the south coast, on the Mediterranean, but it just snowed for two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

LEIN wrote: »
    Was colder in north Africa this morning...

15966324_1935959213293837_1392976282637872396_n.png?oh=80cba1137169890892e5156120369ed6&oe=58E3E4E8

Med to freeze over?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

elastico wrote: »
    Med to freeze over?

Ha. That's some serious body of warm salty water. Would need months if not years of those sub zero temps to freeze that body of water.

Ventusky says Donegal is to get three inches Thurs by 6pm, ooh err.

Along with the ThunderSnow there is a heightened risk of FoggyFrost, WindyRain and an occasional Brocken Spectre at elevated positions.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_10_at_21_41_08.png

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Interesting reading the views from different people on snow and cold in Ireland...

Up here in eastern NI we usually receive at least one fall of snow per year of up to an inch. Most years we get two or more.

Falls of 4 to 10 inches can be expected every two to three years.

Back in the 2009 and 2010 winters we had a total of 40 to 60 days of some sort of snow lying (i.e. depth varied) with a max level depth of a foot around Xmas 2010.

We had a major spring snowfall a few years back with drifts to several feet and army helicopters airlifting supplies to houses cut off by deep snow.

So snow certainly does happen in Ireland!

Temps wise, it certainly gets colder than 15c here! The 2010 winter had -18.9c at Castlederg and -16c in Belfast City on the same day. That deep freeze had many extremely cold days with persistent deep snow cover and Hillsborough Lake completely and hard frozen over.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You alright there glightning? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You alright there glightning? :pac:

Phew thought that was just me...

• Advertisement

Sorry guys! Don't know what happened! Phone locked up when posting! I cannot work out how to delete the other posts. Is anyone able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Could you please repeat it again I missed that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

glightning wrote: »
    Sorry guys! Don't know what happened! Phone locked up when posting! I cannot work out how to delete the other posts. Is anyone able to help?

Done :)

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What was all that about? Missed it :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

What was all that about? Missed it :mad::D

I blame the technology!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Folks I have to drive to Galway and back Thursday. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

feargale wrote: »
    Folks I have to drive to Galway and back Thursday. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take the M6!

Seriously, you don't say where from - but also, I wouldn't worry about it, might need an extra bit of care for road ice, but it's not going to snow that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

MJohnston wrote: »
    Take the M6!

Seriously, you don't say where from - but also, I wouldn't worry about it, might need an extra bit of care for road ice, but it's not going to snow that much.

From Cork/Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Did Someone mention John Hammond yesterday or the day before or was it today ?
    I'll just leave this here shall I ?

https://twitter.com/hammondweather/status/818923395240853508

Advertisement